VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear All,
    I am just starting to use hcenc and found the hcbatchgui for linux very helpful for this.Thank you for such a nice program.

Up until a few days ago I have only used linux video tools, however, some people were saying that hcenc could beat any linux video editing methods. I decided to try hcenc and then compare.

I am using the latest linux sidux and the latest wine that comes with it. I was not able to encode my dv home movies with hcenc until I followed a thread I believe on this forum. Someone said to install another video program which would supply some needed codecs. That worked. The problem is , I get a picvideo and www.jpg.com on every frame. I really want to use the free panasonic or another good free one. How can I get hcenc to use other dv codecs of my choice?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Marcia
    Quote Quote  
  2. i am using the same distro and got the same problem...

i have "manually" installed the cedocida dv codec in this way

unzip the cedocida20.zip
    copy the cedocida.dll in your /$HOME$/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
    when in system32 press F4 (or go in terminal from this window)

Create a reg file as this (name it cedocida.reg)

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]
    "cedocida.dll"="Cedocida DV Codec"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers32]
    "vidc.dvsd"="cedocida.dll"
    then launch from system32 terminal:
    regedit cedocida.reg

you hcenc will see the dv files when passed as avs script like
    Code:
    avisource("test.avi")
    BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aicram
    Dear All,
    I am just starting to use hcenc and found the hcbatchgui for linux very helpful for this.Thank you for such a nice program.
    Glad you like it Marcia. In addition to buzzqw's method you might try this.

To install a DV codec:
    1) download the Panasonic DV codec.
    2) copy the .inf & .dll file to the [wine windows directory]/inf/ directory
    3) use a console a change to the above directory by typing type cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/inf
    4) then execute "wine rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 PANADV.INF"

Got the above information from this page at the wine app database.

Hope it helps.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  4. @freebird73717

i have tryed a very similar setup.. and failed .. that's why i have suggest a more "manual" way

thanks!

BHH
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hmm. Thats wierd. Worked fine for me. Oh well. At least she will have a couple of alternatives to try.

Always good postin with ya buzz!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both very much for your instructions. I tried the manual one first and got an error message that regedit4 is not found. I only have regedit. Should I substitute just regedit in your code? I am a novice with wine.

freebird73717, If I use your method how would I substitute the cedocida codec correctly? Or is the panasonic dv codec better?

Thank you very much buzzqw and freebird73717 for your rapid and great instructions. I am sure I will get this to work soon.

Sincerely,

Marcia
    Quote Quote  
  7. regedit4 ?

the regedit4 and all the rest is to copy in a file (like cedocida.reg)

and from shell is to launch

regedit cedocida.reg

best regards

BHH
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aicram
    freebird73717, If I use your method how would I substitute the cedocida codec correctly? Or is the panasonic dv codec better?
    Not sure how you would substitue the cedocida codec into the method I described. I haven't tried to install that codec before. The only main difference that I know of between the two is that cedocida is open source and panasonic is not.

I'll also try to help you with buzz's method as well. Copy the text in blue from buzz's post to a text file and save it to cedocida.reg in your /home/your_user_name/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory.

Next open terminal. type cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
    then type regedit cedocida.reg

Buzzqw already said all this but hopefully this makes it clearer. Buzz is a smart guy. I didn't know you could edit wines registry like that. Man I love linux!

Good luck Marcia!

Have a good one Buzz!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for your replies. I totally misunderstood how to do the text file first and then the command. I believe I understand it now. When I get a chance to get back to my desktop later I will try this. I will let you know the results.
    Thank you again for such great instructions. I have to admit I would not have known the first thing about doing any of this without your help.

Sincerely,

Marcia
    Quote Quote  
  10. sorry aicram, i must admin that my english isn't fluent as i want (or as my first language)

the SmallVille gui ( , btw Superman is my preferred superhero (own all dvd film, and what is published in italy about Kal El)) is absolute right!.

and , as usually take your time for learn and discover, Linux is a fascinating world

best wish

BHH
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Buzz you shouldn't apologize. Honestly your written english is better than most that speak it natively!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    buzzqw, you certainly have nothing to apologize for to me. You have been very helpful. I did not know english was not your native language.

I did the manual cedocida method. It seemed to work. Then I started my hcenc and I got the fourcc mjpeg error again. I think it means it cannot find a codec. It is there, so how do I make hcenc use it? I had to delete the picvideo dll because it used it again. I was hoping after deleting that it would use the cedocida codec but it has not noticed it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to you both for your great help. And yes, I do love linux, too.

Sincerely,

Marcia
    Quote Quote  
  13. cedocida is an Coder and Decoder (aka CoDec) for dv files, encoded with DV codec
    . I was not able to encode my dv home movies with hcenc
    BUT if your video is encoded in mjpeg.. cedocida cannot decode it, you need a mjpeg decoder!

OR you can decode your mjpeg files with ffmpeg in lossless format (huffyuv or lossy DV ) then feed hcenc

ffmpeg -i file.avi -an -vcodec dvvideo file_dv.avi

BHH
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One other thing you could try is the dv decoder in ffdshow. Install through wine like normal then change the DV and Other DV settings from disabled to libavcodec in the ffdshow video decoder tab.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

ffdshow will run under WINE? That's great to know, thanks for sharing that Freebird.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by GMaq
    Hi,

ffdshow will run under WINE? That's great to know, thanks for sharing that Freebird.
    Yep. I use it primarily for decoding h264.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for the info and wonderful info about ffdshow, too. Now, I understand a pinch more about all of this. Thanks to your info about the codec I finally was able to use hcenc correctly. After I used mplex to combine the video and sound it was not dvd compatible yet. So, I took my video into avidemux, another great tool IMHO, and made it dvd compliant without reencoding. That worked. I was able to put it into KDE DVDauthorwizard and make an iso to burn with K3b. The results were excellent especially considering this was one of the worst videos I shot - too much movement, not the right lens used for the poor lighting, etc.

For comparison I did one with devede. It was actually very good, too, but I need to learn mencoder tweaking more to get rid of the noise. The problem with devede it would not give me the 4:3 aspect that I wanted. It gave me 16:9 even though I checked 4:3. I do not know why. I think it may be possible to get devede to put out the quality of hcenc if I tweaked mencoder just right. That is somewhat my goal since devede is so easy and linux native.

I have to admit I am impressed with hcenc and the hcbatchgui made it easy to get the avs file just right.

Thanks for this great education and tools.

Sincerely,

Marcia
    Quote Quote