VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK,

I have some VHS tapes that play fine when viewed through my TV but when they are played through my ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 8500 Card they tend to bounce a lot.

Do I need a TBC? If so, which do I get? Never dealt with one before so the help is appreciated.

If not, is there anything else I can use to fix this? Can I capture the video jumpy and use software to fix it?

A combination of both?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also looking for TBC, one to remove the macrovision from Playstation 2 games. Hopefully one that has component and s-video ins-outs. There isn't any macrovision on xbx 360 over component. Not looking to spend over $600 on one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. not a fan of capture cards, get or borrow a dvd recorder see what happens
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unfortunately good TBCs are now much more expensive than they used to be- prices have doubled in the last couple years so it pays to think "outside the box" and try alternative solutions. If you're getting severe jitter capturing to your PC, and its only on a few tapes, consider whether you REALLY must have PC authoring of those VHS transfers. If you can settle for the simple authoring available on DVD recorders, try transferring your problem tapes directly to a recent-model (post-2005) DVD recorder. These have specialized circuits that function like "mini-tbcs" to stop most jitter issues. If you still get jitter using a DVD recorder, try using a different VCR to play the tape. If the jitter still remains after that, the tape is going to be a royal pain and you will finally need to try a full-strength TBC or probably a high-end VCR with stabilizing features. Be aware that an external TBC will not necessarily cure jittery tapes: this is an issue more related to the encoder in your PC or DVD recorder. If you find you need to try an outboard TBC, there are only two worth considering: the AVT-8710 which retails at about $350 or the DataVideo TBC-1000 which goes for upwards of $500. The AVT is a cheaply made little plastic pod but is remarkably effective, it also has image adjustment controls. The DataVideo is solidly made but does not have any image adjustments. Note either unit will have some effect on the image- usually a slight softening is the price you pay for using a TBC. Do not waste money on old second-hand "pro" TBCs you see on eBay for $100- these don't work so well for DVD transfers, they were optimized for older tape formats and are usually too worn out to function correctly.

Using a TBC to clear MacroVision is total overkill. If this is your *only* problem, look for a "clarifier" or "stabilizer" black box from online sources. The last one legally sold in US stores was the Sima CT2 which is very good but sells for $150 used. More up-to-date knockoffs of this device sell for $50. Look around a bit and read user reviews before buying.
    Quote Quote