VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got an MP4 player from my dad but never use it since I already use my PSP or iPod. I decided to give it to my stepdaughter for her birthday and wanted to load some videos on it before giving it to her. It is a brand I never heard of: Sumishi. It came with a demo video that plays fine but any other video gives "File Format Error when trying to play it. I went to their website but it is very sparse and has not docs and I couldn't find the model I have there.
    Attached below is a screenshot of the working video from the player with info from GSpot. There is also another screenshot of the same video re-encoded and it does not work. I have tried AutoGK, Mencoder and SUPER, none will work. I have also tried switching XviD codecs since the one difference I see is that under name the working video says XviD 1.1 Final and the non-working ones always say XviD ISO MPEG-4. Unless the manufacturer tech support answers my email I don't know what the specs or program(s) used are. I have tried MP4s and 3GP file but they don't work either.
    I hope the info from Gspot helps point out what the problem might be. Any other info you might need let me know
    [/img]

gspot.rar
    You can fool some people all the time,you can fool some people part of the time, but you can't fool everybody all the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I see different is the NON working one is using 208x176 dimensions, where the working one is set to 224x176. Also a slight difference in audio bitrate - NON working 96kbs, working 128
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I change the dimensions to 224x172 and the audio bitrate to 128. Player is still saying File Format Error.
    You can fool some people all the time,you can fool some people part of the time, but you can't fool everybody all the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is most likely related to how the files are encoded (codec). The basic file information is usually listed in the user manual and most players ship with software for converting files for use with the player. Without one or the other, it will be a long matter of trial and error.

On a side note, you could try some of the conversion tools that are specific to portable players. Take a look in the Tools section.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was afraid of that. I contacted the manufacturer asking for the specs on the player but no answer. I've tried several encoders and am looking at others from other sites as well to see what I can do. I had no problems with PSPs, my Wii or iPods. Being a cheapo MP4 player it doesn't surprise me it has some very strict specs. Fortunately my dad said the found the box with a disc in it. Hopefully it has the software or at least the manual with the format specs in it.
    Quote Quote