VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have received a video (xvid) of my family reunion and want to put it on DVD. The file is 699mb but when I encode it in Nero 7 and try to burn it I get a error that the file is to big for the disk. My disk is a verbatim dvd+r 4.7 and my ripper is only 8 days old. I have converted other files and put them on disk with no error but I am stumped here. Anyone have an idea what could be happening? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Give us more information about the source file.The source file size does not matter when you are converting to dvd-video.
    What is the runtime?
    What is the audio codec? identify with gspot and post a screenshot.

But easiest would be to try another all-in-one converter like dvd flick(free!), favc(free) or ConvertXtoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The run time is 1 hr 38 min 42 sec. Audio is MPEG-1 Layer 3. It burns with convertXtoDVD but I have had this problem in the past and want to solve it. I like Nero because I add chapters and titles for other videos I make of weddings and such for my business.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I know what is happening. I can't help you to fix it. The problem with Nero and similar tools is that to make it easy for users, they give you no control over the process. A 1 hour and 39 minute (rounded up) video source will easily fit on a single layer DVD disc. The problem is that Nero in its idiocy is using a bit rate too high, so you are ending up with something that has to be burned to a dual layer disc.

Your options are:
    1) See if there is a way to lower the bit rate Nero is using. I wouldn't count on that as we get your question all the time and if it was easy to do this, people wouldn't ask it so much.
    2) Use another tool to encode with instead of Nero. Perhaps FAVC or convertXtoDVD.
    3) Live with what Nero did and just burn it to dual layer media.
    Quote Quote