VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My videos used to play just fine after I installed all the proper codecs using K-Lite Codec Pack.
    But suddenly, I cannot play any video file, when I try to, only the audio plays, no video image whatsoever.

It's so weird. This just happened.

This goes for all my video players including winAmp, WMP, Media Player Classic and VLC. I did fix VLC's output modules and set it to OpenGL (the other options there don't work) so it plays videos now (but in poor quality).

I already reinstalled K-Lite Codec Pack, VLC(because a friend said it reinstalls the codecs as well), as well as reinstalled the video driver.

The last significant thing I remember doing before everything got mucked up was playing around with the audio boost option with Media Player Classic and I cannot see how that could affect anything. >.<

Anyway, I'm really hoping you guys could help me with this. Thanks so much,.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    another victim of codec pack hell. the only real solution is to re-format your hard drive, and re-install windows. start over and remember to never ever install another codec pack.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure there's no other way? what if i just uninstall all codecs? i think re-formatting is too..i dunno. harsh? lol
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. is there anyone in here that can help me with this without reformatting?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd look at video acceleration and video card drivers, directx or just one faulty directshow video/subtitle/cc demuxer (splitter driver) etc.. before reinstalling windows which is a bit extreme. At least it wouldn't be my first option until all else fails. You might even be able to go back to a previous restore point.

Try KMPlayer and change the video renderer ie... vmr9 (right click/video (advanced)/video renderer) to see if one works. Even if it works it won't solve the root problem but it might provide a clue.

Also try Gspot, and look at the bottom right panel to see the dshow rendering filters being used to render the video. The guilty one will be in that list.

btw) Graphedit can also be used to render a file the same way and let you see which filters are used but most users might find Gspot easier.

Post the filter list here for more help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi.. i should've done it sooner, but i went back to a previous restore point and everything is fine now. but i honestly won't have any idea what to do in case everything goes awry again. but thanks nonetheless.

thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have the same problem. However, I decide uninstall video card driver. Restart my computer, then i install again the driver of my video card ATI. Woa la .. I can see the video now.
    Quote Quote