VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I got a dell d610 latitude laptop with 2 Ghz pentium processor, windows xp pro OS, 60 GB HD, and a ATI Radeon X300 graphics card. On occasions when I watch my video files they tend to freeze up then lag...is it possible that its due to the graphics card or is it something else? is it possible to change the graphics card into a better one if this is the case?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not likely to be the card itself. Driver or player software is a possibility.

Another thing to look at is CPU usage and how much memory you have. If the laptop is swapping to the hard drive all the time that could cause what you describe. Another problem could be the DVD drive. Many things to check.

It usually isn't a card in a laptop. Dell has made a few models that use a special video card instead of being built-in. You would have to call Dell about that and be sure to have the service tag number off of the bottom when you do. That should let them look up your specific build info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its video files on my laptop, however it may be the cpu usage considering how i use a heavy antivirus program. and running other programs inthe background too. i use real alternative 1.8 to run my videos...is that bad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can check the cpu usage yourself to see if that is the problem (most likely). The only solution, is to shutdown or disable other apps that are running. If you insist on keeping all of the apps running, then you either have to live with the stuttering video or get a laptop with a faster cpu to handle the work load.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote