VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well well. I've already exported hours of DV video from Premiere Pro, thinking that it was just passing the data along. But I wised up and decided to actually take a close look at what it was spitting out. It turns out that it has indeed been recompressing the video. I admit I was fooled. The recompression happens so quickly that I mistook the minor delay as general software inefficiency. And the newly-compressed video is really only subtly different. (But that difference is important since PPro is also crushing the blacks/whites - a topic for a different thread.)

Now, I have read that Premiere Pro is supposed to be able to pass DV data untouched, so long as no image-modifying filters have been applied. All I did to any of my projects was edit out footage - modifications which should not make any difference whatsoever to intraframe video with a fixed bitrate. Yet PPro decides it wants to recompress. I suppose that unchecking the "recompress" box is not actually important, since doing so does not in fact prevent recompression. I must be missing something. I truly pray that I am, because it would be quite bad indeed if I were to need to start all over in a different application like Sony Vegas. A solid week of re-editing would ensue.

Help. ;p
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something is wrong with your configuration/project settings etc.

Are your source material and destination of the same format? e.g., are the audio formats the same (32kHz/12-bit vs. 48kHz/16-bit) or aspect rations etc?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It imports DV 720x480, 32Khz 16-bit. It outputs the same.

Yet when I bring the output into AE and compare it (difference) against the original, out pops the compression noise. It's definitely recompressing, and I have no clue what I need to do to get it to stop.

I'd say two things are pretty clear to me at this point. 1: The only way I'm going to be able to save all the effort I've already sunk into this project is to render it as raw and deal with the bloat. 2: It's time to start saving up for Sony Vegas.
    Quote Quote