my google-fu is rather weak today and i can't seem to get my dvds to play with 5.1 audio.

i'm running an m-audio revolution 7.1 and a logitech 5.1 speaker connected via 3 mini jacks. i just installed the drivers for the m-audio revolution now that they finally have some that support vista. i also installed the latest ffdshow tryouts pack (ffdshow_rev1977_20080528_clsid) and the latest media player classic (6.4.9.1).

vista is configured for 5.1 audio and i get sound in all 5 speakers when i do the test in the vista speaker setup.

if i play a dvd in media player classic (i chose gone in 60 seconds, which states 5.1 audio on the dvd feature list) i am only getting sound from the front left and front right speakers. i can enable the m-audio "SRS CircleSurround II" mode in the m-audio driver application, but that's not really true 5.1 but the drivers converting a stereo signal to all 5 speakers.

ffdshow is also set to use 5 speakers in its config, and it says to use audio and video decoding with mplayerc.exe.

so do i need to setup a filter in media player classic? i thought ffdshow would handle it globally for all applications on its "use ffdshow only in..." list. one thing i also find strange is that i don't see the tray icon for ffdshow. shouldn't this automatically pop up if you launch a program that is being handled with ffdshow?