VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Vista Premium Moviemaker, I made a DVD of high def MPEG2 transferred from my HD camcorder. I also included some high res stills. I set the aspect ratio to 16:9 when authoring. It plays okay in my widescreen HDTV but it is squeezed when played in standard 4:3 TV. I was hoping I could get a letter-boxed image like the commercial DVD's. I could not find anything on the DVD player's remote any button to make it wide. I wonder what will I get if I set it to 4:3 when authoring.

I am distributing these DVDs to some members of the family who do not have widescreen.Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you using the same player with the same settings on the 2 different TV sets? That is, are you moving the DVD player to the other TV? The reason I ask is that your problem sounds like the player isn't set up correctly for displaying to a 4:3 TV set. In the setup menu for the player make sure it's set up to output for a 4:3 set. The fact that the DVD itself is 16:9 has nothing to do with it.

The other thing to check is that you authored it correctly, so that it plays properly on both kinds of TV sets. Open the DVD in PGCEdit, right-click the video, and then Domain Streams Attributes. It should have 16:9 ticked, and Automatic Letterbox checked:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Encode as 16:9 and author as 16:9. if it doesn't play properly on a 4:3 TV after that it is because the DVD player has not been configured correctly.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to open domain stream attributes in PGCEDIT(not very familiar with this program). 16:9 is ticked but the automatic pan and scan & scan is checked instead of the automatic letter box. Can I correct it by copying the DVD files into hard drive, use Pgcedit then make the future DVDs out of it? Thanks for the quick reply.
    Quote Quote