VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Toshiba D-KR10. I have a older movie that is not well known on VHS. I am trying to back it up using my DVD recorder.

I get an error that says i cannot record this protected program.

Can i bypass this? The movie is not available on DVD or i would get it.

I tried starting the recording while the inputs were unplugged and then plugging them in. Wishful thinking. It stopped when i plugged it in.

I have a pinnacle stick although i havent got it to work yet. (It doesn't pick up my cable signal.) I wonder if i use that if it will work? Who knows. I dont watch VHS anymore. I am always afraid that they will break.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do a Google search for ' Macrovision '. It's a copy protection on VHS tapes that will give that error.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The picture is fine. No fading in and out. Is it still the same thing? The DVD input reads it fine. It just wont record.

Again, wishful thinking... If i run it through a 2nd VCR, would that [possibly] work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz has the right idea. If macrovision won't stop you - CGMS will (another one to Google).
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. An old VHS tape is not likely to have CGMS on it. Macrovision is the most likely culprit. However, since you are not seeing any tell-tale signs of Macrovision interference, it may just be that the tape has tracking issues that are "fooling" the DVD recorder into thinking the tape is protected when it really isn't. This happens more often than you'd think, especially if the recorder is overly sensitive to protection signals (some Toshibas are very sensitive to this). You might try borrowing a couple of different VCRs from friends/family and see if they track the tape in a different-enough way that the problem disappears: sometimes we get lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just copied 8 old VHS movies I had, but 5 others showed the same "can't copy" message. Sounds like your situation is just one of many that won't copy to a DVDR. I tried three diff. VHS machines, 2 of them 10 years old or more. But it's obviously the receiving device that determines whether to copy ot not.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by orsetto
    An old VHS tape is not likely to have CGMS on it. Macrovision is the most likely culprit. However, since you are not seeing any tell-tale signs of Macrovision interference, it may just be that the tape has tracking issues that are "fooling" the DVD recorder into thinking the tape is protected when it really isn't. This happens more often than you'd think, especially if the recorder is overly sensitive to protection signals (some Toshibas are very sensitive to this). You might try borrowing a couple of different VCRs from friends/family and see if they track the tape in a different-enough way that the problem disappears: sometimes we get lucky.
    It's also possible that you won't see the "signs" of Macrovision when just playing the protected tape through the DVD recorder without recording. Some DVD recorders and VCRs allow a clean signal to pass through, but once you press record, it's all over.
    Quote Quote