VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sam's has Verbatim DL 50 pack for around $60 with MIS or MII which varies by location; go to http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/verbatim-dls-sams-club-244555/ to see more discussion on this Sam's deal.

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    Sam's has Verbatim DL 50 pack for around $60 with MIS or MII which varies by location; go to http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/verbatim-dls-sams-club-244555/ to see more discussion on this Sam's deal.
    Not a Sam's Club member, so I'd like to see this turn up elsewhere . . . but it sounds like this might be some pack that is exclusive to them ? It would have to be somewhere B&M, where it's possible to inspect the packaging: MII is apt to be throwing your money away.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those who are members can inspect packaging, and I plan to check my local store tomorrow. If you know somebody who is a Sam's Club member, you could ask them to check for you or go with them and have them buy for you if you find MIS. At the CDFreaks link in my first post some are finding only MII while others are finding MIS.

4. I just got back from there, went for something else though.
    At this Sams, they were all MIS on the top shelf and all MIT on the second. They all looked exactly the same. BTW they said 2.4X non-printable

I also noticed Sams only carries *Printable* media for CDs and DVD-+Rs
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which are rated better. Anyone know?

The taiwan or singapore?
    MII = Made In Indonesia?

-PB

Search Comp PM
    MII - Made in India, stay away from these. MIS is good, never tried MIT DL, didn't know they made them there.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields

7. Originally Posted by ricoman
    ...never tried MIT DL, didn't know they made them there.
    They don't. Anyone who thinks they saw MIT DL Verbatim is hallucinating. It's MIS or MII only.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    As of July 30th, they're still there for that price, at least here in Fountain Valley, CA. I noticed that they were MIS.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, Negritude, but the Sams club in Atlanta, about 6 months ago, had MIT DL's. I bought 2 packs of them. Right now, they only have the MIS DL's. They were 59.00 or so then, and are still the same price.

Matt

10. Originally Posted by negritude
    Originally Posted by ricoman
    ...never tried MIT DL, didn't know they made them there.
    They don't. Anyone who thinks they saw MIT DL Verbatim is hallucinating. It's MIS or MII only.
    I guess I have good drugs or I'm blind and didn't know it.
    I report what I see as I see it.
    Next time I go to Sams, I'll look again. I only buy Printable DataLife Plus 2.4x DLs, so I wont be able to scan the ones at Sams
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.

11. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Don't assume that MIS are good discs. I got a bad spindle of 95310 from Newegg earlier this year.

I think the best advice is to get the 8x discs such as 96542. I've bought two batches of them and both were OK. Yes, they were made in Singapore, but that's no longer a guarantee of good quality.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Don't assume that MIS are good discs. I got a bad spindle of 95310 from Newegg earlier this year.

I think the best advice is to get the 8x discs such as 96542. I've bought two batches of them and both were OK. Yes, they were made in Singapore, but that's no longer a guarantee of good quality.
    Don't assume the quality of the MIS disc's was the issue 8)

13. I just don't assume

14. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck

Of course it was! Buying Verbatim DL discs has been turned into a crap shoot. They used to be reliable but not anymore.

15. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Of course it was! Buying Verbatim DL discs has been turned into a crap shoot. They used to be reliable but not anymore.
    I only use these and I've never had a problem with them...none, ziltch, nada

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-6x-dl-dvd-plus-r-dual-double-layer-dvd-r-95123---p-18457.aspx
    http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-double-layer-dvd-plus-r-white-inkjet-printable...23-20pack.html
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1871&...ory_Code=DVPVB

So much for crap shoots

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck

Originally Posted by stiltman
    I only use these and I've never had a problem with them...none, ziltch, nada

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-6x-dl-dvd-plus-r-dual-double-layer-dvd-r-95123---p-18457.aspx
    http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-double-layer-dvd-plus-r-white-inkjet-printable...23-20pack.html
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1871&...ory_Code=DVPVB

So much for crap shoots
    All i've ever used is MIS 2.4x DL+R's

Both 2.4x 20 packs i bought from newegg over the last couple of months all burned and played perfectly.
    Except 2, and it was not the disc's fault that they ended up bad 8)

17. SMS is cheaper by $0.98 for me

However, That's the best price I've seen from newegg and it's 3 day too...

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I remember going to Sam's Club about a year ago or so after reading this topic. I remember seeing a few huge boxes of these but they were all mixed with where they were made. I don't remember which ones I got though so can someone tell me? Was it Singapore that was good or was it India? I think it was Singapore but I totally can't remember.

19. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    It doesn't matter where they're made anymore, they're all equally unreliable. The game has changed.

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    It doesn't matter where they're made anymore, they're all equally unreliable. The game has changed.
    This seems to be your own rather-out-of-the-mainstream opinion. I'm as critical as anyone about such things, when there is good reason to be, but the MIS Verb DL have yet to give me any reason to be. I'm not going to base it on scans from your highly questionable methodology either: for my money, the only test that matters is whether the recorded content is still there and still readily accessible (on various optical readers / players, without a significant glitch) several years down the line. And the jury is still out on that one. If there is going to be a problem, not enough time has elapsed yet to reveal it.

I've seen a few DVDs go south for me, but none of those were Verb DLs. (The only possible exceptions being a couple I know were badly made, using a poor choice of software to make them. But I learned from those mistakes.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I would expect MIT DL media to be excellent. Verbatim's single layer DataLifePlus series, which are excellent, are only made in Taiwan.

For those who don't know, JohnnyBob had a rather staggering number of bad burns on his Verbatim DL media (was it something like 100?) and refused to consider that something else (his process, the burner, etc.) might be to blame. Every time anyone posts about Verbatim DL media, he posts to tell us how bad he thinks all Verbatim DL media is.

Search Comp PM
    I just bought a spindle of DL Verbatim from Sam's a few weeks ago. Burned some of them with no problems in playing back with any of my dvd players including my Panny BD35 Blu-ray player. I backed up my UP movie by doing a blu-ray conversion and burned it to DL. I burned the DL disc in my old Benq 1640 & Pioneer 216 dvd burner's!

Search Comp PM
    Baloney.

You've already been discredited twice on this topic:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314030-What-Media-should-I-use
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313026-Black-Friday-deal-on-Verbatim-discs

Both myself and VegasBud outlined it quite in depth.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

24. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    This seems to be your own rather-out-of-the-mainstream opinion. I'm as critical as anyone about such things, when there is good reason to be, but the MIS Verb DL have yet to give me any reason to be. I'm not going to base it on scans from your highly questionable methodology either: for my money, the only test that matters is whether the recorded content is still there and still readily accessible (on various optical readers / players, without a significant glitch) several years down the line. And the jury is still out on that one. If there is going to be a problem, not enough time has elapsed yet to reveal it.

I've seen a few DVDs go south for me, but none of those were Verb DLs. (The only possible exceptions being a couple I know were badly made, using a poor choice of software to make them. But I learned from those mistakes.)
    I'm not a fish and do not swim in any stream. I use various testing procedures based on my long experience, and there is no jury involved. I am the sole judge of what has proven to be reliable for me! Let each run their own tests and judge for themselves...and not be dictated to by a few pseudo-gurus.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I would expect MIT DL media to be excellent. Verbatim's single layer DataLifePlus series, which are excellent, are only made in Taiwan.

For those who don't know, JohnnyBob had a rather staggering number of bad burns on his Verbatim DL media (was it something like 100?) and refused to consider that something else (his process, the burner, etc.) might be to blame. Every time anyone posts about Verbatim DL media, he posts to tell us how bad he thinks all Verbatim DL media is.
    Absolutely wrong! I have never made any such claims. Yes, I tend to respond negatively to dreamy-eyed pro-Verbatim DL folks who are basing their comments on the outdated distant past (over 2 years ago), not the present situation. The single-layer Verbatims are still excellent, but not the DL variety. Buying and using Verbatim DL's is a crap shoot now. Maybe you'll get lucky, but probably less so as time goes on, if they continue to decline in quality at the same rate as the last 2 years. Folks would be well-advised to switch to a different data backup method such as multi-TB external hard drives.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Baloney.

You've already been discredited twice on this topic:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314030-What-Media-should-I-use
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313026-Black-Friday-deal-on-Verbatim-discs

Both myself and VegasBud outlined it quite in depth.
    You two pseudo-gurus think you can hide the truth about Verbatim DL's for your own reasons, and I really can't guess your motivation. It's not a matter of credit or discredit. Anyone with Nero CD/DVD Speed, Opti Drive Control, BurnPlot, DVD InfoPro, or similar software can run their own tests and prove for themselves what is correct on this subject.

Search Comp PM
    Basically if the DL disc doesn't playback correctly it doesn't mean it's the media, it could be the dvd burner.
    Welps, I'm not going to get into a pissing match about it. The Sams club Verbatim DL media works for me and that's all that freaking matters.

26. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Buying and using Verbatim DL's is a crap shoot now. Maybe you'll get lucky, but probably less so as time goes on, if they continue to decline in quality at the same rate as the last 2 years. Folks would be well-advised to switch to a different data backup method such as multi-TB external hard drives.
    If I remember correctly, you have issues with Verbatim SL media as well..not reliable "batch to batch" as you say. Since you rely so heavily on worthless disc scans to form your opinions, I think maybe you should heed your own advice and go the external hard drive route, save yourself a lot of time and grief. No one on this site has had as many problems with DL/SL optical media as you, not even close, clearly something is wrong with your process.

Personally, I've never had any issues whatsoever with Verbatim DL media and I've burned a lot of them. Verbatim DL+ImgBurn+quality DVD/Blu-ray player = flawless perfection.

Nothing wrong with the external hard drive option though, I have everything backed up to both optical disc AND external hard drive as I would never trust anything backed up on hard drive alone. The hard drive option is appealing as a space saving option and also, media players are the future IMO.
    Last edited by bbanderic; 14th Feb 2010 at 16:13.

27. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post
    Buying and using Verbatim DL's is a crap shoot now. Maybe you'll get lucky, but probably less so as time goes on, if they continue to decline in quality at the same rate as the last 2 years. Folks would be well-advised to switch to a different data backup method such as multi-TB external hard drives.
    If I remember correctly, you have issues with Verbatim SL media as well..not reliable "batch to batch" as you say. Since you rely so heavily on worthless disc scans to form your opinions, I think maybe you should heed your own advice and go the external hard drive route, save yourself a lot of time and grief. No one on this site has had as many problems with DL/SL optical media as you, not even close, clearly something is wrong with your process.

Personally, I've never had any issues whatsoever with Verbatim DL media and I've burned a lot of them. Verbatim DL+ImgBurn+quality DVD/Blu-ray player = flawless perfection.

Nothing wrong with the external hard drive option though, I have everything backed up to both optical disc AND external hard drive as I would never trust anything backed up on hard drive alone. The hard drive option is appealing as a space saving option and also, media players are the future IMO.
    You don't remember correctly... I've only bought one spindle of 100 Verbatim DVD-R single layer and they are excellent, better than the Taiyo Yuden that I always used before. I've had some batches of TY that were of lower quality.

Disc scans with appropriate software are not worthless, and there is nothing wrong with my burning processes. I use Imgburn too. You are mis-stating or mis-understanding the facts. I have not claimed massive burn failures with any of these discs. It's a matter of relative quality of different batches of the various discs, and clearly Verbatim DL is on the decline. I expect we'll see the difference more dramatically soon as their quality control implodes completely.

P.S. I continue to test and just bought a spindle of Verbatim DL from newegg. They're the worst yet with quality scores at or near zero(0). Yes, they burn and verify but it's a miracle. I certainly won't put anything important on them.
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 14th Feb 2010 at 16:37. Reason: to add more info

Search Comp PM
    ^^^If you're burning dvd discs with that Liteon drive that's posted in your profile that could be the culprit. I've never trusted LITEON drives for burning dvd media. I only use LITEON's for ripping purposes. Just my 2 freaking cents!

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just my $.02: having burned over 100 Verbatim DL discs, I have only had ONE coaster that wasn't caused by human (namely, mine) error. All of these have been Made in Singapore, and all of them work to this day. I have never bought any MII or MIT Verbatim DLs (didn't even know they had Made in Taiwan Verbatim DLs)