VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. My LG GSA-4167B has bit the dust. It burns fine but I get constant read errors when ripping any DVDs, even ones I've burnt myself on other burners YET these same media will rip fine on one of my other 3 burners....

I'm looking to replace my LG with a Pioneer unit however I've noticed no Pioneer units support bitsetting, am I correct?

Bitsetting is a requirement for me as a few of my set top DVD players will not play +R media unless I burn them with the bitsetting feature...

Thanks kindly

PS: DVDs burnt on the GSA-4167B rip fine on other burners
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this at the CD Freaks site for Pioneer 115 and 215 burners:
    No BitSetting (BookType DVD-ROM) for DVD+R/RW media.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

But the Samsung SH-S203B does. That's a SATA version, but I assme the PATA version does also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kenmo
    My LG GSA-4167B has bit the dust.
    Mine is finally showing signs of old age too....my condolences to you and yours.

Bitsetting is important to me for different reasons but seriously....you
    should consider just switching to Taiyo Yuden -R's and be done with it.
    It is easy for me to say because I no longer "require" +R media for anything
    anymore.....not even my old "one step from the garbage" +R Only DVD Recorder.
    Pioneer burner - with genuine TY media?.....I'd image that is virtually impossible to beat.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Only problem is TY media is very hard to find locally... However Verbatim -R / +R are always on sale....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bitsetting is available on the 115 and 215 for dvd-r if you use mediacodespeededit on the firmware and enable the option. then flash the drive with the tweaked firmware. works geat on my 115.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quite the opposite of hech54 I no longer "require" -R media for anything. I have an older Toshiba DVD player that plays only -R unless +R are set to DVD-ROM book type. In addition that Toshiba player will play no LiteOn LVW-5005 recorded media including even -R recordings with one exception which is DVD-ROM discs. It may be the OP has a similar situation and needs to make DVD-ROM recordings. Nearly 2 years ago I got a Pioneer 111D that I cross flashed to 111L to gain bit setting, and I've been extremely pleased with its performance. Today I'd follow aedipuss' recommendation and get a Pioneer 115 if I needed another burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI if you flash the PIONEER 115 or 215 drive by using the MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT and hacked firmware the original warranty by PIONEER will be void. Although I've never had a problem in using hacked firmware & MCSE with my PIONEER 111, 112 & 212 models.

If you are not comfortable with flashing the PIONEER 115/215 (SATA) then buy a SAMSUNG SATA S203B as redwudz suggested or buy another LG (PATA) burner 22x spd GH22NP20. You can bitset DVD+R media by using IMGBURN.

LG 22x spd GH22NP20, $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

If you're considering a SATA DVD BURNER that's another issue as there are compatibility issues depending what type of motherboard chipset controllers one could have. INTEL ICH7/8/9 chipset controllers will work fine with SATA DVD BURNERS and NVIDIA chipset controllers will need to use the latest drivers. VIA chipset controllers will not work so one would need to use a SATA PCI CONTROLLER CARD for the SATA DVD BURNER to work correctly. The SATA PCI CONTROLLER CARD must have the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114/3512 chipset. Also JMICRON chipsets will also not work with SATA DVD BURNERS. I've read some newer motherboards with JMICRON chipsets will work but I can't remember what brand/manufacturer motherboard it was.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the warranty isn't void, just bent - you can re-flash with the original firmware anytime you want with the hacked flasher that doesn't check versions. besides, you don't really think they even check the drive when you send it back do you? it's $25 commodity item, that just gets tossed in the bin.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    the warranty isn't void, just bent - you can re-flash with the original firmware anytime you want with the hacked flasher that doesn't check versions. besides, you don't really think they even check the drive when you send it back do you? it's $25 commodity item, that just gets tossed in the bin.
    A few years ago PIONEER would check the drives if you turned your drive in for a replacement. Gimme a break you think they'll just toss the drives in a bin. I had my 212 sent back because of their flawed hardware which was a worldwide recall and they didn't send me a new drive they replaced the defective part in the drive.

Just because YOU are able to reflash a dvd burner back to the original firmware don't be so sure others can do the same. I always give the warning to others who want to flash with hacked firmware.

:P When you use MCSE...ala42 has on his website the following:

Warning:
    Using patched firmware might damage your drive and will void your warranty.
    The use of MediaCodeSpeedEdit is at your own risk.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have an older Pioneer burner 105 that still works as good as the day as it was new... However I'm not interested in any burner that does not support bitsetting out of the box...

I just purchased a LG GSA-E60L (external USB) which does support bitsetting...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Mine is finally showing signs of old age too....my condolences to you and yours.

Pioneer burner - with genuine TY media?.....I'd image that is virtually impossible to beat.
    Best advice I've read. F' off to DVD+R media.

Well the one "Plus" about DVD+R media are the Dual Layer discs but the Pioneer will do auto bitsetting on those ... just not to regular single layer DVD+R discs ... which I see absolutely no use for what-so-ever. Not to mention Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs are cheaper than Taiyo Yuden DVD+R discs.

As for the mention of Verbatim ... too many recent reports of them being flaky ... stick with TY ... sure you have to mail order but they are dirt cheap. Only $25.99 + shipping for a 100 pack of 8x TY DVD-R discs at RIMA.COM and don't start in with 8x speed being "too slow" ... because it ain't

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have NOTHING against +R media. I have had zero compatibility issues with them at all....bitset or not. I used them because my DVD recorder was +R only so I used them for burning too with no problem.
    I was considering trying Taiyo Yuden +R discs....but by recorder is on it's last legs, I now own a capture/tuner card.....and I no longer "need" to keep both +R and -R "on hand".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    budz - you must be one of the lucky few to get a repaired drive, everyone else with the cd burning problem got new ones that i heard of.

couldn't get a tech to open and fix a drive for less than $25 anywhere unless it went back to china. wouldn't trust it then if it did.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by FulciLives

Best advice I've read. F' off to DVD+R media.

Well the one "Plus" about DVD+R media are the Dual Layer discs but the Pioneer will do auto bitsetting on those ... just not to regular single layer DVD+R discs ... which I see absolutely no use for what-so-ever. Not to mention Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs are cheaper than Taiyo Yuden DVD+R discs.

As for the mention of Verbatim ... too many recent reports of them being flaky ... stick with TY ... sure you have to mail order but they are dirt cheap. Only $25.99 + shipping for a 100 pack of 8x TY DVD-R discs at RIMA.COM and don't start in with 8x speed being "too slow" ... because it ain't

Just curious...whats wrong with +R media?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nothing.
    There are some who still cling to a time when DVD players where
    extremely picky and never made for ANY kind of recordable disc-shaped objects....like older Sony
    machines that didn't even play CD recordables.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I'd rather cross flash a drive and have auto bit setting instead of having to do it through software. I've cross flashed 3 different drives and flashed several other drives with modified firmware and never had a problem with any of them. This is completely unsurprising since it's simply another firmware flash, and most will update official firmware anyway.

I use +R media because my needs require it, and I'd use -R media if my needs required it. There's no significant advantage of one over the other except that the +R Yudens are more costly than -R Yudens, and I find +R Verbatim and Sony to burn with very good results at even lower cost than the much touted -R Yudens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing.
    extremely picky and never made for ANY kind of recordable disc-shaped objects....like older Sony
    I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the DVD+R format is the "bastard child" of a greedy company that didn't want to "play ball" with the official DVD forum. It is that simple.

Do we all have such short memories ???

OK time for a "bitter" format war :P

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Nothing.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the DVD+R format is the "bastard child" of a greedy company that didn't want to "play ball" with the official DVD forum. It is that simple.

Please, no. I'm mostly format-agnostic, myself. When it comes to record-once discs, I stick with -R because it's proven itself to me over the years (though I have no objection to using +R). When it comes to rewritables, however, it's +RW all the way. They're less hassle, especially in my console DVD recorder, and they burn faster than -RW.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by FulciLives

I'll fire the first salvo for +R.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW
    I use +R exclusively and I wish all writers bitset +R to DVD-ROM automatically.In the old days there was a saying "if you use -R get a Pioneer,if you use +R get a BenQ".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Nope...I remember full well not buying into that "bastard child greedy company"
    stuff all those years ago....and I also remember using both +R and -R with equal
    reliability from my very first DVD burner.....and I also remember my Philips DVDR985
    +R only DVD Recorder that is sitting about 30 feet from me right now that still functions
    (though very slowly) to this day.

HD-DVD is gone.....DVD+R is still here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-DVD is gone.....DVD+R is still here.
    What a cheap shot you bastard you !!! :P

P.S.
    The above was said with tongue firmly in cheek
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes and some of us are grateful for that. I guess you don't remember the following "fun" things about DVD-R...
    1) Remember the early days of the format when there were 2 different types of DVD-R discs? One was for authoring and the other was for something else. And if the poor consumer didn't know enough prior to buying to pick the right one, he was screwed.
    2) The original capacity of DVD-R discs was roughly 4 GB, more than 10% less than the capacity of a single layer pressed DVD.
    3) The existence of DVD+R DL discs spurred the DVD-R manufacturers to eventually figure out a way to create DVD-R DL discs. Would consumer burnable DL discs even exist in a DVD-R only world?

Anyway, enough of that. I buy and use both DVD-R and DVD+R, but I only use DVD+RW and DVD+R DL discs. I'm not fond of the -R versions of those 2.

And to the original poster, it's 2008. Maybe it's time you stopped worrying about bit setting anyway. It's only ancient DVD players that need bit setting on DVD+R discs. Unless you really and truly have a need for this, I wouldn't give it any consideration when looking for a DVD burner.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remember the early days of the format when there were 2 different types of DVD-R discs? One was for authoring and the other was for something else.
    Dvd-r for Authoring is still around...if you look hard enough. Put "verbatim 93966" (without the quotes) into google and you can find some inkjet printable disks. To burn them you'll need a pioneer dvr-s210 recorder. This page at meritline has a remanufactured one for $950.00, which is a great price...if they still stock them.

Dvd-r for General is the other type, and is what we now commonly refer to as dvd-r.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is that the drive that can write to the css encryption sector with the "authoring" dvd-rs?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is that the drive that can write to the css encryption sector with the "authoring" dvd-rs?
    Pioneer says no. Since they made the drive, you have to assume the answer is accurate.

Even if it was possible to somehow hack the system to fully implement css ...what would be the incentive? The drive/media are very expensive, and css is worthless except as a tripwire for dmca action. It would be easier, more reliable, and cheaper (even in very small lots) just to have the disks replicated, complete with css.

For informational purposes:

Dvd-r for Authoring was designed to allow content providers to skip the "transfer to DLT" step (the last step prior to submission to the replicating facility) by implementing CMF and DDP. If it was an entirely successful experiment, it seems like pioneer would have released a newer version of the drive (with faster than 1x burning speed) by now.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any burners that don't bit set? I can't think of any. Some require cross flash or flash with modified firmware, but all that I can think of can bit set either as purchased or by firmware flash. I'm very grateful this is the case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    bitsetting is available on the 115 and 215 for dvd-r if you use mediacodespeededit on the firmware and enable the option. then flash the drive with the tweaked firmware. works geat on my 115.
    DVD-R ... no.

DVD+R...yes.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I just got my Pioneer 115 today. I haven't burned a disc yet, soon. I did rip an 8+gig disc in 11 minutes. Pretty impressive, but, the disc was hot and when I pulled the burner right afterward, it was already hot too. Not good to get as hot as it was in 11 minutes.

I did the same disc in the 111 in 14:45. Slower, but, the disc was cool and the burner was too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the faster read speeds will cause the drive to heat up which is common knowledge. heck I burned 36 dvd discs in my PIONEER 212 drive the other day and the discs were warm. which is why a dvd burner's life span will depend on how frequently it's used. just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Yes, it only makes sense that the faster it reads the hotter it will get. But, to get the disc and burner how hot it was in only 11 minutes isn't good. Better not read many discs in a row. I don't think it's all the speed. The 115 got up to about 12.5x when reading, the 111 got to 10x+ and didn't even get warm. I think the 115 just runs hot.

It burned a disc in less than 5 minutes at full speed. I haven't watched it yet to see how it plays. The Verbatim 16x +R disc I did burned fine from beginning to end and had almost no errors when scanned on the same drive, which probably isn't reliable for scanning, but it's all I have besides the 111. The -R disc I did slowed to 4x once and to 0x once, I don't know what that was about. The scan wasn't anything like the +R disc, but, was pretty good. For some reason when burning -R discs it slows way down or goes to 0 in places on Verbatim 16x discs that look flawless when I inspect them, weird.
    Quote Quote