VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    as long as the VERBATIM DVD+R disc played back fine that's all that matters. make sure you're using a 80 wire ide cable with your 115 drive.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    the faster read speeds will cause the drive to heat up which is common knowledge. heck I burned 36 dvd discs in my PIONEER 212 drive the other day and the discs were warm. which is why a dvd burner's life span will depend on how frequently it's used. just my 2 cents!
    Then how would you explain a 108 with about 500,000 miles on it, and still going strong ?
    If I got that kind of money's worth out of everything I bought, I'd have zero consumer complaints and rarely upgrade anything !
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by budz
    as long as the VERBATIM DVD+R disc played back fine that's all that matters. make sure you're using a 80 wire ide cable with your 115 drive.
    The +R disc was the one with only like 300+ total errors, which is very hard to believe. It's the -R ones that slow to 0x when burning that I don't know about. I've only played 1 20 minute episode from an 8x burn on the +R so far.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by samijubal
    The +R disc was the one with only like 300+ total errors, which is very hard to believe. It's the -R ones that slow to 0x when burning that I don't know about. I've only played 1 20 minute episode from an 8x burn on the +R so far.

My Pioneer A05 works as good as the day it was new...

I require bitsetting as any DVD+R I burn with booktyping set to DVD-ROM wll not play in 3 of my DVD players, including my Toshiba DVD-R recorder. A few people I share my DVD+Rs also have the same problem...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't have any problem playing +Rs without bitsetting on my players. They won't play on my Toshiba recorder, I never use my recorders for playback anyway, so, no big deal. If I do discs for someone else, I always use -R discs and never had anyone have problems playing them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kenmo

I require bitsetting as any DVD+R I burn with booktyping set to DVD-ROM wll not play in 3 of my DVD players, including my Toshiba DVD-R recorder. A few people I share my DVD+Rs also have the same problem...
    I own three Toshiba DVD players and they require DVD-ROM booktype,friends and family with Sony and Panasonic players require it also.
    Players with MediaTek chipsets(OPPO,Philips,etc) will play DVD+R.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Then how would you explain a 108 with about 500,000 miles on it, and still going strong ?
    If I got that kind of money's worth out of everything I bought, I'd have zero consumer complaints and rarely upgrade anything !
    Everyone's mileage may differ on their dvd burners. I still have my very first dvd burner a PLEXTOR 708A that still works. I only use it for dvd discs that are scratched. Now I'm 25 something dvd burners later and I still buy new drives to keep up with technology. Yuh, I'm a dvd burner whore!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -resolved-
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've been searching for info on why my new Pioneer DVR-215 will not read just about all my prior burned DVD+R media (using either BenQ or TSST (Samsung). This business of which company supports which format may have something to do with it like someone said earlier. The odd thing is that it will read and burn a new DVD+R disc. It just won't read my old ones!

This is an interesting article:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/DVDMediaFormats/

It says that DVD-R is the most compatible format (regardless of what the article that guy wrote about DVD+R being a better format). I think I may have to switch to DVD-R. . .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Welps it really depends on what brand of dvd media you used and what the media id's are. If you were using cheap crappy MEMOREX, TDK, etc. then that's your problem. Cheap dvd media will result in failed readings of the disc at a later time. If you had used VERBATIM & TAIYO YUDEN and got those failed readings then my suggestion would be to try reading them in another dvd burner. What brand are those DVD+R? BTW IMHO DVD-R is no different than DVD+R, one is not better than the other.
    Quote Quote  
  11. From what I've seen, DVD-R is more compatible. I've got 3 recorders that won't play DVD+R discs. I've never seen anything that won't play DVD-R discs. I don't bitset whatever that is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may be the burn quality of previously burned +R isn't as good as the newer Pioneer +R burns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    It may be the burn quality of previously burned +R isn't as good as the newer Pioneer +R burns.
    Difficult to really know since Cyberdave has yet to answer the question of what brand of media he used. I had many flavors of PIONEER burners with no problems in reading DVD+R media in other drives. I am a dvd burner whore with many brands/models!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by budz
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    Difficult to really know since Cyberdave has yet to answer the question of what brand of media he used. I had many flavors of PIONEER burners with no problems in reading DVD+R media in other drives. I am a dvd burner whore with many brands/models!
    No I didn't because I didn't want to hijack the topic of this forum by delving into my drive's particular issues etc.
    But since your enquiring mind wants to know:

Verbatim - MCC 004
    HP - CMC MAG 01
    Fujifilm - PRODISC R05

These were burned in either a BenQ 1620/1655 or a TSST laptop drive. All my prior burned discs read just fine in those burners and my standalone Philips DVD player. I had only been using +R media. As a test I recently bought some -R media - Sony brand SONY16D1. I burned some test discs in the TSST and put them in the Pioneer and it read them just fine. So the TSST drive that writes the same +R discs that won't be read in the Pioneer, are being read when they are -R. And all good media. By the way I am only talking about my prior burned discs - tests on various websites show that the Pioneer burns blank +R media just fine.

If one believes in conspiracies I don't find it hard to believe considering that Pioneer is in the -R camp that they don't fully support all +R media. Unless you believe everything you read.

I've read extensively now on the difference between the +/- media. There IS a difference, it's just that for all average useability intents and purposes, there is no difference, or rather there shouldn't be.

I could spend hours doing a lot more tests etc etc but since I don't have that kind of time and I think I can extrapolate based on the tests I have done on what the problem is. I would really rather just find an answer or get another burner that will read them! I could also take the drive back and see if the store will exchange it and then see what happens. . .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HP - CMC MAG 01
    Fujifilm - PRODISC R05

Equals crap dvd media which is why you had read problems in your new drive.
    Quote Quote  
  16. And that's it?! That's the answer from the burner whore?! What about the MCC 004? How do you explain that?

I went back in my archives and pulled out +R media TDK - CMC MAG 01 and Verbatim MCC 003 and put them in the drive.
    Those were all booktyped as DVD-ROM and the Pioneer read them just fine.
    This has nothing to do with crap media. In fact from my research those brands you call crap are not crap, just not excellent. I had run Nero disc quality scans on the TDK and the Verbatim and they differed by 1 percentage point.

This has to do as I suspected with the Pioneer's quirks on reading DVD+R type discs that it itself did not write. That's all. End of story.

Personally I would rather have a burner that writes great and reads anything in spite of minor variations in quality or errors instead of someting that writes great but is too finicky to read anything but a certain subset of discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lmfao! CMC is crappy media period.....FYI even if you used VERBATIM dvd media with your BENQ drives it would depend on what firmware you used as well as if you ever use QSUITE? QSUITE is a tool that was developed by BENQ to use with different brands of dvd media depending on what media id's were used. Do some research before you mouth off! :P
    Quote Quote  
  18. budz I'm glad you're enjoying this discussion as much as I am. Certainly as educational as it is entertaining. Edutainment!

At any rate I would hope in these types of discussion people would keep an open mind about various things. The media brand is only one factor among many to consider in this case. While not completely scientific, I believe in my particular circumstances I have ruled out the media quality per ce as a factor. Assuming one is using Tier 1 or 2 media, I believe there are circumstances where the media brand is a red herring.

I'm not sure you're getting the bigger point here. Which is that while people believe that bitsetting is important for compatibility with older dvd players, I believe in fact that it is critical for compatibility with MODERN burners!!!

The conclusion I can reach after testing and research is the following. To ensure maximum COMPATIBILITY for readability among different burners and media type, I would recommend the following:

Use -R media for burners that do not support bitsetting.

When using +R media in a burner that supports bitsetting, ALWAYS set booktype to DVD-ROM!!!

Simple as that.

budz you're the guy with 25 burners. I have come to this conclusion with my current stable of 3. Why don't you or someone with as much interest and burners create a scientificaly laid out study and paper which picks out specific media types and burners, sets up a grid to test burning with +/- and bitsetting or not and experiment. So far you haven't really presented any actual evidence or tests to disprove my theory and results. By the way if there is anyone out there who has web pages which discuss these issues I would strongly encourage you to enter this information into the body of evidence for people who end up having readability issues, wonder which media type (+/-) to buy and use etc.

AFAIAC if there is any entity to blame for this crap, it's not necessarily the manfacturers of the media and the quality, it's the companies/groups that create and set the standards and then market and sell the products to the public. The current state of DVD media and burners with no agreed upon standard is complete bullsh*t. Maybe with Bluray now the defacto standard for HD media, this will all be moot in about 5 to 10 years!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    :P I already know about bitsetting to DVD-ROM, I'm not a newbie to dvd burning. I base my facts on the many different dvd burners that I have used and the experience of using many different brands of media id. I told you about QSUITE which you obviously avoided answering. So I'm not gonna waste my time explaining or looking through the numerous pages of the BENQ forum to point you in the right direction. You know SEARCH is your friend!. If you actually went to the BENQ FORUM and look at the 1000's of scans you'll surely find your answer regarding your issue. I also told you it depends on what firmware you were using with your BENQ drives. Firmware will make a difference.

I have no reason to set up some sort of thread of what dvd media is good with what burner. That's already done at Cdfreaks.com with the ASUS/PIONEER, BENQ, LITEON/SONY, LG & SAMSUNG forums. You got your answers at the ASUS/PIONEER forums. If you wanna continue believing CMC is great media then so be it. To each's own. :P
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    :. Firmware will make a difference.
    If you wanna continue believing CMC is great media then so be it. To each's own. :P
    It is doubtful you could ever convince him . . . or most others of similar opinion. This sort of discussion barely grazes the real point: I believe the passage of time will demonstrate conclusively that most of the blank media that has been sold and the masses have bought was mediocre at best, and total crap at worst. Soon enough -- maybe already (?) -- you will start hearing a groundswell of moaning: "WTF ever happened to that ____ I burned last year ?!! " Because it's now unplayable, has serious problems, or just ain't there anymore.

I'm already keeping a running tally of the things I burned 2 - 3 years ago, in my pre-TY or Verbatim usage days-- that I now have to salvage by ripping and re-burning it onto known-good media. (All of it was recorded using Pioneer burners with appropriate firmware, except for a few that might have been done with a Lite-On. I handle and store the discs with care.) Betcha that number of salvage jobs will only keep climbing.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Guys actually I do appreciate the info on the quality and plan from now on to only use Verbatim or TY. I found all that on rima.com for example. Also this week Best Buy has a sale on Verbatim. I went digital with my still and video camera last year and want to make sure my backups last a long time. I noticed Verbatim has a gold archive media also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R discs. About as good as good can be. Some say the Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R discs are very good however I don't care to use +R media ... call me biased from the early days of DVD Video disc burning (when DVD+R was a pain-in-the-ass in terms of compatibility and one could argue is less than "moral" in even existing).

Don't want to start a flame war on media. I've used Verbatim 16x DVD-R discs before (the same thing sold at BEST BUY for dirt cheap) and I've never had a problem BUT there have been some reports lately that all is not well in the land of Verbatim. Best to just stick with Taiyo Yuden. Those Japanese have a "thing" about quality control.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  23. The same thing has happened with TY lately too. Look at reviews at Supermediastore, some of them from people that have used them for a long time. I've never had trouble with either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    The same thing has happened with TY lately too. Look at reviews at Supermediastore, some of them from people that have used them for a long time. I've never had trouble with either.
    That's why you only buy TY from rima.com!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The same thing has happened with TY lately too. Look at reviews at Supermediastore, some of them from people that have used them for a long time. I've never had trouble with either.
    That's why you only buy TY from rima.com!
    BINGO
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  26. What difference does it make? They are the premium discs not the value discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What difference does it make? They are the premium discs not the value discs.
    Difference is in the past there were reports that some had bought from Supermediastore and the TY's weren't legit. I have never had any problems or issues when using TY media from rima.com. I have no use to use another online retailer who sells TY media at a lower cost. As the old saying goes, "You pay for what you get".
    Quote Quote  
  28. I've never had problems with TY discs from anywhere, except the value discs. That doesn't mean other people haven't. Where are you seeing fake TYs from Supermediastore? I've never seen any such thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had problems with TY discs from anywhere, except the value discs. That doesn't mean other people haven't. Where are you seeing fake TYs from Supermediastore? I've never seen any such thing.
    It was posted here a few years back and nope I'm not gonna search for those posts. To each's own when it comes to where you wanna buy TY media. :P
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm talking recent reviews. Maybe there were fakes a few years ago. The people that are having problems have been within the past year. Some of them say they have been using the discs for years. The reviews were enough to scare me off. I use Verbatim now.
    Quote Quote