VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys. New to the mac platform and i just came along some forum posts stating the following: " Mac OS X does not allow for applications like VLC,Mplayer X etc to access the deinterlacing features on the graphics card so the deinterlacing is done in software when playing mkv,xvid,divx,mpeg2 files etc resulting in lower image quality". Is that true? I use VLC for mkv along with quicktime can't really say any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any opinions? facts? Thanks guys in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm going to guess the posts in question appeared on MacRumors and were from someone using the name mosx ?

He/she is obsessed with this "fact", the veracity of which I'm not qualified to comment upon. All I can say is that stuff deinterlaced on the fly with VLC looks absolutely great on any machine in my house.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its not true..One more nonsense along many others about Mac's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have no personal knowledge of this but one source of this information seems to be the programmer of the Mac port of VLC:

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23

He may know what he's talking about. Of course, that was quite a while ago (2003) so the situation may have changed since then.

Software deinterlacing can work as well as hardware deinterlacing. It just takes more CPU power.
    Quote Quote