VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime files ext mov always hangs my machine and sometimes I have to warm boot. I had installed quicktime player and then uninstalled it. Now using quicktime alternative.

I wish to uninstall all the video and audio codec with such softwares and install Just one Klite mega pack and VLC.
    Is there any software which would uninstall all the remnants of left codecs ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are several, however I would strongly advise against installing any codec pack, especially k-lite
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe you are right ? but the core question is still how do I uninstall all the video codecs on my machine and then install selectively.

Later, I can install softwares one by one as I play swf, flv and quite a diff file types.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by greendesert
    Quicktime files ext mov always hangs my machine... I wish to uninstall all the video and audio codec with such softwares and install Just one Klite mega pack
    Out of the frying pan and into the fire, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what codec you suggest me to install ? or pack of codecs ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Start with > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899113

And then cross fingers.

It be a better idea to reinstall the os, make a backup image after all system drivers are installed and system is running fine ... then you can do what you want knowing the backup image will save you having to reinstall the os all over again.

As for your last question.

Only install those you need, when their actually required ... leave codec packs out
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you want a lot of audio and video codecs in one package install ffdshow. It's far cleaner than codec packs like KLite. Rather than a collection of unrelated and often conflicting codecs and filters, ffdshow is basically one big codec that handles all different kinds of audio and video. It is easy to enable or disable individual encoders and decoders within it, and it installs and deinstalls (should you ever need to) cleanly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks I will do that. Cant format its too cumbersome.
    Quote Quote