VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was thinking of investing in either Adobe After Effects or Premier for making DVD menus for use in DLP. I would make motion and static menus. I also own Photoshop for other editing of media for my menus. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Some feedback would be great.

Thanks.
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. They're 2 different tools with different purposes. AE is for compositing and premier is to edit. You'll need all three to construct some good menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Photoshop-Premiere can do most. AE is candy but separates pro from good pro (steep experience curve).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a freind the has AE and I tried to play around with it and I could not understand it. I work with Photoshop well and I have used Premier also. So it seams to me that Photoshop-Premier will do just fine for what I want.
    Thank you guys for the input. It will make my decision a little easier.
    More comments are welcome about other programs as well.
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, however could you answer a question for me please. In order to create a quality menu, would I do all of this at the correct resolution in a single Photoshop file with many layers. Thus, buttons, backgrounds, overlays, etc. will all be within one file. Can I then import this .psd into Premiere & add links, etc. onto the correct buttons (layers)?

I guess what I am asking is, does Premiere understand Photoshop layers or do i need to import each graphic (button, background, etc) seperately as .gifs/.jpgs into Premiere?

I'm experienced with Photoshop but have as yet not touched Premiere (or AE)...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Photoshop and Premiere for all my menu assets (videos and images).
    Final Cut Pro instead of Premiere, when on Mac.
    Assembly of said assets in done in Ulead DVD Workshop 2 (Windows) or DVD Studio Pro (Mac).

No need for After Effects.
    I'd rather learn Maya if I wanted something more advanced.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EViS
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, however could you answer a question for me please. In order to create a quality menu, would I do all of this at the correct resolution in a single Photoshop file with many layers. Thus, buttons, backgrounds, overlays, etc. will all be within one file. Can I then import this .psd into Premiere & add links, etc. onto the correct buttons (layers)?

I guess what I am asking is, does Premiere understand Photoshop layers or do i need to import each graphic (button, background, etc) seperately as .gifs/.jpgs into Premiere?

I'm experienced with Photoshop but have as yet not touched Premiere (or AE)...
    Later versions of Premiere Pro import Photshop layers as a composite. Then you use Premiere Pro to animate layers(translate with keyframes and splines) for motion. Button assignment. etc. would be done in Encore. Premiere DVD authoring is limited.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote