VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Details:
    Drive: Samsung SH-203B SB00 (TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203B SB00)
    Nero: 7.8.5.0

When I insert a blank DVD-R and start Nero it freezes while "Scanning system for supported drives, please wait...". If I remove the disc and insert a CD it finds the drive immediately.

If I start Nero with no disc and then insert a blank DVD the program displays "Not responding"

I can play pre-recorded DVDs fine with PowerProducer

Help please
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is a slight possibility that you need to update the firmware on your DVD burner. Check for firmware updates. Some media requires firmware updates or the burner won't recognize it. Around here we recommend the use of Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim for DVD media and not really anything else any more.

The most likely problem is that your burner needs to be replaced. The part of it that burns DVDs (different from what burns CDs) is probably going bad. I had this happen in a new burner that was only a few months old, so it certainly is possible, even in a new burner. Try the firmware update and if that fails to fix the problem, replace the burner.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oops. Just saw that you can play commercial DVDs. I change my answer now as you wouldn't be able to do this if the drive was going bad.

It's most likely firmware - your burner can't recognize your media. You might also try using the free ImgBurn instead of Nero to burn as that may help. Nero is a poor tool for anything but making audio CDs and data discs. We STRONGLY recommend the use of ImgBurn for DVD burning.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,

I have looked on the Samsung website and I can't upgrade the Firmware as the OEM code is 0 and not one of the ones on the list. This drive was working very well with XP pro until I downgraded to Vista.

Any other ideas? This drive is on a SATA, does this make a difference?

I will look at the other tool for burning DVDs also
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting...

I installed ImgBurn and exactly the same thing is happening when the drive has a DVD in it. I am totally confused now.

Help!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what brand of DVD-R media are you using? also what sata controller chipset do you have on your motherboard? intel? nvidia? via?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, what name/model number does Imgburn give for your drive? (Tools > Drive > Capabilities, then a window with detailed information about your drive should pop up, including firmware revision. Imgburn also has the ability to check for firmware upgrades, but I believe the site it checks is down at the moment.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    The SATA chipset is VIA VT8237R Plus. I have tested with Datawrite Titanium DVD-R 8x single-sided discs and also with TDK DVD-R 8x single-sided discs.

With an empty drive I started ImgBurn and this is what shows in the log:

I 00:23:49 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!
    I 00:23:49 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6000)
    I 00:23:49 Total Physical Memory: 522,176 KB - Available: 129,344 KB
    I 00:23:49 Initialising SPTI...
    I 00:23:49 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    E 00:23:52 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0' (F
    E 00:23:52 Reason: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    W 00:23:52 Errors were encountered when trying to access a drive.
    W 00:23:52 This drive will not be visible in the program.
    W 00:23:52 No devices detected!

The Tools > Drive was greyed out.

I hope this helps.

Note: It was all working fine with XP Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suspect a driver issue or hardware failure. The only way to know for sure would be to try the burner in a different PC or switch back to XP for testing.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Apparently this is not the PC listed in your specs?

Could be a Vista issue, meaning SATA drivers and your particular drive, but it is also quite possible the drive began to fail around the time of the OS upgrade. How long had it been since you had burned a disk successfully with XP?

Reading a commercial DVD would seem to indicate basic hardware functionality driver-wise, burning is however very different from reading. Vista DOES have anti-copying features which could be in play here.

Popping the drive into an XP pc will answer if the drive works correctly. If so, then its either the Vista SATA drivers, or another story for the tinfoil-hat crowd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before ripping it all apart, pop on in to the bios when system starts and check what changes the bios allows for sata drives ... can sata connected units be switched from sata mode to ide mode, if so, try it.

Belarc advisor comes to mind ... just looking at those pc specs you have listed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fiiido
    Hi,
    The SATA chipset is VIA VT8237R Plus. I have tested with Datawrite Titanium DVD-R 8x single-sided discs and also with TDK DVD-R 8x single-sided discs.

With an empty drive I started ImgBurn and this is what shows in the log:

I 00:23:49 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!
    I 00:23:49 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6000)
    I 00:23:49 Total Physical Memory: 522,176 KB - Available: 129,344 KB
    I 00:23:49 Initialising SPTI...
    I 00:23:49 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    E 00:23:52 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0' (F
    E 00:23:52 Reason: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    W 00:23:52 Errors were encountered when trying to access a drive.
    W 00:23:52 This drive will not be visible in the program.
    W 00:23:52 No devices detected!

The Tools > Drive was greyed out.

I hope this helps.

Note: It was all working fine with XP Pro.
    your problem is the VIA CHIPSET on your mobo. it's well documented that VIA CHIPSET will not work with SATA DVD BURNERS. especially with the SAMSUNG S203B drive. buy a SATA PCI CONTROLLER CARD with the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114/3512 CHIPSET for your dvd burner. you can try to update your VIA CHIPSET from their website to see if that would help. another problem is the dvd discs that you're using are considered crappy media.
    just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vista and/or SATA
    with potentially crappy media (TDK rebrands so many manufacturers, hard to tell what's in a pack, not knowing the media ID).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As suggested before, download and install the latest via-arena drivers and try again.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote