VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Powered up a new Vista system today and many of my video files are not working. Is there a comprehensive codec pack i could install for vista?

Is there a way to migrate my XP codecs to Vista?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just use ffdshow and mpc in vista and haven't had any problems so far.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess i just got used to using windows media player. Any codec packs that might work for that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. What format videos?

Blindly installing codec packs is generally a risky and often regretted move. Just install those you need.

In addition to Baldrick's suggestions, I find VLC works well on Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    What format videos?

Blindly installing codec packs is generally a risky and often regretted move. Just install those you need.

In addition to Baldrick's suggestions, I find VLC works well on Vista.
    I really don't know. They are various formats. Most .avi types but some are .wmv and others.

I have used VLC but really dislike it. I rarely get it to work. It starts at the beginning but when you slide the bar it bounces back and restarts. Ugh.

G-spot is only for .avi container files, correct? This stinks. Lots of files from my HP camera are audio only...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot has some limited support for other formats, including MPEG - but if you're looking for a comprehensive information utility for other formats, you can also try MediaInfo.

I've never really had that problem with VLC, but it's probably more to do with how a specific video is encoded. Have you tried it with more than just a few videos (especially ones not from your camera), and with one of the latest builds? (For the latest nightly builds of VLC, you can find them here: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/ ...and look in the 'trunk' directories for the most recent date.)
    You can also try mplayer as a player, but it's normally a console/CLI player... I don't know if there's a shell/GUI that'll add a slider to it that you can manipulate.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot works well with most any codecs. It may give incomplete info for Real or WMV, but you could try MediaInfo for those. I prefer Gspot as it seems to have more complete information and will tell you what codecs you have or need to play a specific format.

I've never had that problem with VLC, but you could try Media Player Classic or The KMPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by 4194
    G-spot is only for .avi container files, correct? This stinks. Lots of files from my HP camera are audio only...
    Any idea what kind of files come off your HP camera? What model is it? Can you post a small example somewhere? It only needs to be a second or so.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4194
    Any idea what kind of files come off your HP camera? What model is it? Can you post a small example somewhere? It only needs to be a second or so.
    .avi is the container. I dont have it on this pc but i will try to check it tomorrow. I guess i need to put g-spot on this pc also...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I installed divx 6 and latest xvid and works for 99% of avi files on vista 64,never a problem playing them.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    I installed divx 6 and latest xvid and works for 99% of avi files on vista 64,never a problem playing them.
    Where might i find those for divx and xvid? Is that the divx player or just a divx codec?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look in our 'Tools' section: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/codecs You don't need the player.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I put VLC and on this new PC it works great. (On my XP system it doesnt work so well.)

For some reason my XviDs no longer plays with Windows media player. It says codec aquired but i get video with no sound.

Here is a gSpot shot of a file from the HP camera. It is an HPm425.

This screenshot is from my XP system and not my Vista.

VLC plays it though.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Fairly common with digital cameras, MJPEG format. I have no faith in WMP 11 for Vista. It seems to have more problems than formats it can play. I try to block it from playing anything. VirtualDub should be able to open MJPEG files easily enough if you need editing, filtering or format conversion.

With Vista, I usually install ffdshow. It's not a codec pack, but it enables playback of most formats. That, along with VLC, should cover about any format. Two possible exceptions, Real and Quicktime. I use Real Alternative and Quicktime alternative players for that. They install Media Player Classic, (Just once) which is another great player and IMO, a much better choice than WMP 11.

Another minor note. When you install VLC, make sure you check the box for 'context menus'. That will bring up VLC as a player when you R click on most any video file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Another minor note. When you install VLC, make sure you check the box for 'context menus'. That will bring up VLC as a player when you R click on most any video file.
    Thank you!

Can i open the file with virtual dub and then save as an .avi? (Like when i split a file?)

Any idea how to make Gspot show up when i right click on a file? It does on my XP but not on the Vista.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!

Can i open the file with virtual dub and then save as an .avi? (Like when i split a file?)

Any idea how to make Gspot show up when i right click on a file? It does on my XP but not on the Vista.

Thanks!
    Yes, using VirtualDub you can change the codecs used in the AVI (from MJPEG to anything else - for example, DivX), and then resave it as an AVI. That'll require the AVI to be recompressed, though.

How do you want GSpot to show up in the right-click menu? It has an option to add itself to the Send To menu (Options > Settings > check "Add (or remove) GSpot) "Send To" option"), but it sounds like you may want it done differently.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. Is there a virtual dub tutorial for that operation? Thanks for telling me about it. I have had problems with those camera files...

I would like to right click a video file and then select Open With > Gspot. I tried those options and nothing seemed to do it. Maybe it will after a restart or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure, but these two might help, for starters.

Do the videos you're trying to convert load into VirtualDub without any problems? (I'm wondering if you have the necessary VfW codecs installed for VirtualDub to be able to read the videos (at least, without getting into AviSynth).)

As for adding GSpot to the Open With menu (under Vista), one way to do it is to right-click on an AVI file, then go into the Open With submenu, and click "Choose Default Program". In the window that opens, make sure "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is unchecked, then click on the Browse button. After that, all you need to do is point it to the location of GSpot's EXE.
    Quote Quote