VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, I am asking here for an option to make a VCD or SVCD with the VideoLan installer for windows and mac included on it, so it plays on DVD Players or computers. So if you don't have an application that plays SVCDs or VCDs, you could simpli run the installer included on the SVCD or VCD.

Is any workaround?

I have made a multisesion, with the first sesion (Via toast) with the SVCD, and then add a second sesion with the installers. Plays nice on the DVD Players, but the computers only can see the second sesion with the installers, and the movie is not recognized by VideoLan.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

Thanks a lot,

Pablo from Argentina.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I believe VLC doesn't even need to be "installed". You can just include the VLC folder tree on the disc and an Autorun.inf to invoke it. Even easier would be Media Player Classic since it's a single exe file and a lot smaller. This would only work for Windows though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That is nice, but my main issue is to make a SVCD or VCD with the installer and the data for viewing in a regular home dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pmaril
    That is nice, but my main issue is to make a SVCD or VCD with the installer and the data for viewing in a regular home dvd player.
    You just include VLC and the Autorun.inf file along with the VCD/SVCD data in the single session. A DVD/SVCD/VCD player ignores the extra files. Windows sees the INF file and auto executes it.

If you just want the installer file just include it along with the VCD/SVCD data. One problem with this is that VCD/SVCD include little error correction code.
    Quote Quote  
  5. jagabo:

That s what I whant, include the data on the "body" of the SVCD or VCD, but so long, I found that the VCDEasy is the only one that lets me do it.

And I have all Macs... I could run Parallel with a WinXP on one of the most recent, but is much easier for me if the software is for Mac.

Or if I could make the VCD as a custom... like an ISO with some spetial adjustement... I don't know if I am clear with that.

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pmaril

I have made a multisesion, with the first sesion (Via toast) with the SVCD, and then add a second sesion with the installers. Plays nice on the DVD Players, but the computers only can see the second sesion with the installers, and the movie is not recognized by VideoLan.
    It plays on DVD players because standalone DVD players usually only see the 1st session of a multi-session burn.
    It might be true that your PC is only seeing the 2nd session, but probably it actually sees both sessions, but the 2nd session, which is CD data mode, has a higher priority than SVCD in the operating system, so it acts on that.

VCDEasy is the best way to do this. I'm sorry that there is no Mac version, but that's life. I work as a Unix system administrator and I hate Windows, but what do I use at home? Only Windows because that's where the video tools are. I'm sure you can create VCDs and SVCDs on Mac, but I don't know if those tools will let you create new directories for data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since svcd can only be properly written in mode2 form2 and data will not, multisession will not work, as mixed modes are not allowed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just to get some things clear...

VCD & SVCD use CDXA Mode2 Forms 1 + 2
    The specific, REQUIRED (S)VCD INF/CDI sectors used mixed forms, the remainder of the 1st/ISO track can be Mode2 Form1, and all MPEG media tracks are Mode2 Form2.

Mode2 Form2 is the one that doesn't have extra error correction--the Form1 parts of the track DO have full error correction. So the MPEG media has less protection, but the ISO/data portion is fine.

Also, yes you CANNOT mix modes within the same track (although you can have separate modes in separate tracks; witness proper VCDs with CDDA tracks), but with CDXA Mode2 you CAN have Forms mixed within the same track.

Yes, you should not use multisession, as settops (with a few exceptions) only see the 1st session, and PCs/Macs see either only the last session or ALL sessions.
    AND a proper (S)VCD must have the (S)VCD tracks in the 1st session.

IIRC, there are builds of VCD Imager that work with OSX, so you could always create the XML file, to feed into it, by hand.

The basic problem you're seeing is that there are FEW media players that use the full VCD 2.0 / SVCD spec with support for PBC + Menus etc, on the PC (best choices are Roxio VCDPLAY.EXE or WinDVD or PowerDVD). It's even worse on the Mac--there are NONE that are extant. That's just something you'll have to live with, cuz nobody's gonna put any effort toward that now that even DVDs are long in the tooth.

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK Cornucopia:

I am using Parallels to run VCDEasy, but, Is any way to do an VCD & SVCD use CDXA Mode2 Forms 1 + 2 with other tools on Mac?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure about anything recent...

MissingMPEGTools ?

MediaPipe ?

VCDBuilder ?

(This kind of thing is MUCH easier on a PC w/ VCDEasy--sorry)

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, i am now with VCDEasy, but this software needs a MPEG2...

I have compiled several ones, but none seems to work for it, says something about multiplexing, any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pmaril
    OK, i am now with VCDEasy, but this software needs a MPEG2...
    No, VCDEasy doesn't need MPEG-2. SVCD format needs MPEG-2 video. VCD format needs MPEG-1 video.

Without seeing your error message, it's impossible to know what's wrong. It could be that your source clip violates VCD or SVCD standards and that is causing multiplex errors. You might even be feeding in a video only clip and get some kind of error from that. Since we don't know what you used to create the source file or whether it even adheres to standards for VCD or SVCD (frame rate, bit rate, resolution and so on).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When VCDEasy is checking to make sure the media is to spec, it'll expect MPEG1 for VCDs and MPEG2 for SVCDs (like jman98 said), although it is possible to get around that and fool it (hehe - hint: mux nonstandard)
    While the name implies VCD, VCDEasy can do both VCD and SVCD, so you need to make sure at the very beginning of your project that you set it correctly.
    Check the help file, and the Guides on VCDEasy's site--it could be that the MPEG2 error message is about a missing MPEG2 decoder for preview purposes...
    Remember, VCDEasy doesn't do ANY mpeg encoding; that has to be done prior to authoring, with a good mpeg encoder app (Mainconcept, TMPGEnc, CCE, etc)

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote