VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What should i be looking for when purchasing a dual layer burner. I will be mainly using dvd-r disks, i dont mind it external or internal. I am looking for raw speed, i have many 8gb files i would like to burn on it. Can viewers please recomend one as well, as i am not familiar with the best ones to purchase.
    "If u cant eat it - u dont need it"

"Baby - If i dont hit it, Who will?"

"Why is Abbreviation such a long word"?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Keep in mind that -R Dual layers seem to be hard to find compared to +R dual layers and that the consensus here seems to be Verbatim +R dual layer discs.

I myself have good luck with Lite-On. Others prefer other brands.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you recommend a burner to me...post a link of it from new egg or ebay please..............
    "If u cant eat it - u dont need it"

"Baby - If i dont hit it, Who will?"

"Why is Abbreviation such a long word"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are looking for speed of burning and generally less problems, go with an internal burner. If you have a free SATA connection on your motherboard, then I would recommend one of the newer SATA optical burners. I favor Samsungs at the present. If you could find a external SATA enclosure that worked with optical drives, that would be another option, as it should operate at the same speed as an internal burner.

One caveat with SATA burners is that your SATA controller needs to be able to work with them properly. Most do, a few don't. The Silicon Image controllers or likely most newer motherboards should have no problems.

One the other hand, an internal PATA burner should also be problem free. I wouldn't recommend a external PATA burner with a USB interface if speed is a primary concern.

And I would second using only DVD DL + discs, namely Verbatim.

POPULAR BOTH PATA AND SATA BURNERS:

SAMSUNG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005+50001077&name=SAMSUNG

PIONEER: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005+50001167&name=Pioneer

TWO EXTERNAL SATA ENCLOSURES WITHOUT DRIVES: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090092+1053807122+1054...=USB+%26+eSATA
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that DVD-R DL discs are VERY EXPENSIVE. I would only buy Verbatim here. Taiyo Yuden does apparently make them, but the only place I saw that had them demanded that you buy a 100 pack DVD-R DL discs cost at least $2 PER DISC - yikes!

DVD-R DL requires special settings to burn properly because the way they did the layer break is kind of weird. ImgBurn is the only software program that I know for a fact can burn them correctly. Note also that it seems that there are a lot more problems for standalone DVD players to play DVD-R DL discs than DVD+R DL discs. I would only buy Verbatim for DVD+R DL discs and only burn with ImgBurn. DVD+R DL discs are a lot cheaper than -R DL discs. Note that many people dislike the Indian made Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and prefer the Singapore made discs. Unless you can look in a store and see what they have, you may not be able to choose which ones you get via mail order. DVD+R DL discs are significantly cheaper than the -R DL discs. +R DL discs can be found for 50 cents or less per disc. All prices I state are in US dollars.

I don't recommend external burners. Internal ones work more reliably in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I don't recommend external burners. Internal ones work more reliably in my opinion.
    I agree unless it's a SATA burner connected to the MB, as redwudz suggested. In that instance, I don't believe there's a whole bunch of difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...and any of the name brand burners will likely suit your needs just fine. There isn't much of a difference in burners today as there was several years ago, so there really isn't a "best" burner to recommend. I've had good luck with Lite-On, NEC, Pioneer, and Samsung.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote