VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Thread
  1. I've recently received a HP Compaq 6720s Laptop and I'm just wondering if it supports TV Out. The Graphics Card on this Laptop is identified as "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family" in the Device Manager.

    I've done a Google search on this Graphics Card and it keeps coming up with information on the Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. I've had a look at Official Data Sheets of this Graphics Card and the Chipset and both state that they support TV-Out.

    However, my HP Compaq 6720s Laptop does not have an S-Video port on any side of the Laptop. There is only a VGA port on the left hand side of the Laptop and that's it in terms of the Graphics Card and Video capabilities.

    So my next question is, can this Laptop support TV Out via the VGA port? Because I've seen other laptops use the same Graphics Card and Chipset and they did indeed have an S-Video port equipped on one side of the Laptop. But this HP Laptop doesn't seem to have one at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The video card which is not really a card as it is built-in could support TV out. Whether or not it does support TV out is up to the maker of the laptop.

    Since you can not find a TV out then most likely HP didn't want to spend the money for the extra hardware needed for that feature.

    Instead of asking here why not go to the Compaq website at
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321...&lang=en&cc=us
    and read the manual and other information there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TBoneit
    The video card which is not really a card as it is built-in could support TV out. Whether or not it does support TV out is up to the maker of the laptop.

    Since you can not find a TV out then most likely HP didn't want to spend the money for the extra hardware needed for that feature.

    Instead of asking here why not go to the Compaq website at
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321...&lang=en&cc=us
    and read the manual and other information there.
    All the information that I've found regarding this chipset/graphics card does suggest that it does support TV Out.

    Do you think that I could get a TV Output through the VGA port? Because I saw some VGA to S Video adapters on Ebay and in all of those listings it did say that the adapter will only work if your graphics card supports TV Out via the VGA port.

    It's amazing that there is no mention of this in the User Manual that I got with the Laptop and obviously no extra adapters or cables which is why I'm asking about the TV Out via VGA port capability.

    I'll have a look at that HP website you linked and post on the HP Forum if necessary to see if I can get a definitive answer there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by soneman
    All the information that I've found regarding this chipset/graphics card does suggest that it does support TV Out.
    That doesn't mean the particular implementation supports TV output. At the very least, the TV signals from the chip would have to be routed to an s-video or composite connector on the laptop. The manufacturer may have decided not do do this to save a few cents. And to force people to pay more for a laptop that does support it.

    Originally Posted by soneman
    Do you think that I could get a TV Output through the VGA port? Because I saw some VGA to S Video adapters on Ebay and in all of those listings it did say that the adapter will only work if your graphics card supports TV Out via the VGA port.
    It's possible. There are unused pins on the VGA connector that some manufacturers use for other purposes, like component video output. You should check with the manufacturer of the laptop.

    Originally Posted by soneman
    It's amazing that there is no mention of this in the User Manual that I got with the Laptop and obviously no extra adapters or cables
    The implication is that the laptop does not support TV output.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That the chipset supports TV out is not equal to it must support out. TV out requires extra hardware that HP may not have put in the laptop. You'll need to go to tech support at HP to find out if those adaptors will work. However if the manual makes no mention of Video out, my guess is that it doesn't do it.

    OTOH if your TV has VGA in like many HDTVs do then just use that port.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Today, most HDTV sets support VGA as an input and most chipsets will output VGA at HD LCD native resolutions (e.g. 1366x768 or 1024x768). A VGA to S-Video encoder is fairly expensive* and the result is low quality. Better to add the money to the new HDTV fund.


    * It would have cost HP maybe $5 to add that feature since the encoder is part of the chipset.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV
    It would have cost HP maybe $5 to add that feature since the encoder is part of the chipset.
    Probably even less than that. It's all about market segmentaion, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo
    That doesn't mean the particular implementation supports TV output. At the very least, the TV signals from the chip would have to be routed to an s-video or composite connector on the laptop. The manufacturer may have decided not do do this to save a few cents. And to force people to pay more for a laptop that does support it.

    It's possible. There are unused pins on the VGA connector that some manufacturers use for other purposes, like component video output. You should check with the manufacturer of the laptop.

    The implication is that the laptop does not support TV output.
    The problem is that other Laptops (such as Acer, Dell) use the same chipset and they do have an S-Video port on it. I've never seen such a variation like this before with the same product.

    To be fair, it doesn't cost more to buy a Laptop that has an S-Video port. It's just that most Laptops these days don't have them because of low consumer demand and due to the growth of HD TVs.

    I'm going to check with HP if this Laptop does support TV Out via the VGA port. The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator software does show something about activating multiple displays but no mention of TVs. My guess is that it does support HD TV output via the VGA port but thats no good to me at the moment as all of the TVs in my house are all SD TVs.

    The problem with the documentation that came with this Laptop is that there was no clear-cut manual with it. It was brand new and sealed but the only documentation the Laptop came with is a basic Safety and Comfortability Guide as well as a warning about downloading and installing a Critical Security Update for the pre-installed HP software.

    If HP had at least provided a detailed User Manual then I might have found out by now if TV Out was possible on this Laptop.

    Originally Posted by edDV
    Today, most HDTV sets support VGA as an input and most chipsets will output VGA at HD LCD native resolutions (e.g. 1366x768 or 1024x768). A VGA to S-Video encoder is fairly expensive* and the result is low quality. Better to add the money to the new HDTV fund.

    * It would have cost HP maybe $5 to add that feature since the encoder is part of the chipset.
    I hear what you're saying. It would just be easier for me to get a HD TV and use the VGA port on the HD TV to get my TV output but like I said above, I only have SD TVs in my home and I can't afford a HD TV at the moment. Maybe in a few years.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The Documentation should be on the computer somewhere. Look in All Programs for HP.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't know if your laptop falls into this series but the HP web page for the Compaq V6700TX series talks about using an HP xb3000 Notebook Expansion Base to get s-video output.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo
    I don't know if your laptop falls into this series but the HP web page for the Compaq V6700TX series talks about using an HP xb3000 Notebook Expansion Base to get s-video output.
    I've found the User Manual for my Laptop eventually. I had to dig it up from the Official HP Forums.

    Unfortunately, the User Manual says that it doesn't support TV Out. Only that it will support an external monitor.

    I've had a look at the documentation that came with my Laptop again and I can see an Accessory booklet. The booklet is showing that there is a docking station available for this Laptop. Here are the links:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/sg/en/sm/WF06c/A1-1697201-1697741-1697741-1697783-16977...-26121779.html

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/th/en/sm/WF06c/A1-1697201-1697741-1697741-1697783-16977...-26121781.html

    Not sure where I can get a hold of this though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member tekkieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Over the hill
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo mentions the xb3000, but the ones you list I think are generic for almost all hp/compaq notebooks. As for where to get a hold of one, I've used this place in the past. They usually have pretty good deals on overstock and "b" stock stuff specifically for hp/compaq.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads