VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all. Thanks for anyone taking the time to read and especially to any replies =)

This is kind of difficult to explain but I will do my best.

What I am currently trying to do, and where I am running into the problems, is with synchronizing the timings of two different series of subtitle files.

The files are in English and the others are in Chinese. The English files are the ones that I want to use, but their timings are wrong for the media I am trying to use them for. However, the Chinese files, while I cannot read them, are timed perfectly, as they are the files that originally came with the media.

What I am trying to do is get the files in English to have the Start and Stop time synchings of the Chinese files.

I can achieve this ALMOST perfectly with Jubler, which lets me open both files, and then import the start and stop timings from the other file. This does indeed make my English files have the timings of the other Chinese files.

Which is where in the problem comes up.

My actual issue is the Chinese files are being read incorrectly in Jubler. The timings in the program do not start where the .ssa files show they do (as opened in Wordpad) and instead, they start from the INFO and Credits at the top of the file, NOT the initial Dialogue lines. This throws the timing all out of whack and makes it even worse.

The Chinese files are in .ssa and the English are in .srt; the .srt files read perfectly in Jubler, as well as the other applications I have used, but the .ssa files do not; it might be because they are .ssa or they are filled with a lot of Chinese characters (these characters do display correctly in Wordpad and Word programs, but do NOT display correctly in any subtitle program I have tried).

While I can transfer the timings from the Chinese files to the English files, they are the wrong timings, as read incorrectly by Jubler, as well as other programs.

What I am hoping I can find is some help with either the proper Subtitle programs to achieve something like this, or maybe a language package that might read the Chinese correctly. Also, I am wondering if it is the .ssa files not being read correctly or something, and if I can manually change them.

I can post screen shots for better descriptions of what I am talking about if someone wants, or even post a piece of the English and Chinese files to show what I mean if someone needs to see it visually.

Again, thank you to anyone that reads this, and if you can understand what I mean, as it is kind of tricky to explain, I do appreciate any replies =)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am using total video2dvd author while adding subtitle channels to converted mpeg. I remember the software can set a time offset for every subtitle file for the syning problem.

Maybe can help you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DonutFiend99
    What I am trying to do is get the files in English to have the Start and Stop time synchings of the Chinese files.
    This is easy to do in Subtitle Workshop.

First try:

Load the English subs
    Now Edit/Timings/Adjust/Adjust to Synchronized subtitles
    and select the Chinese subs when asked for the file to open.

If that doesn't work (perhaps problem with Unicode text),
    then try:

Load the English subs
    Edit/Timings/Adjust/Adjust subtitles
    and type in the times for the first and last subs.

The interface is a bit confusing, but read the manual for other time adjustment tools and shortcuts.

And of course, if you have the movie try loading that and sync directly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for the replies.

I tried using Subtile Workshop, which I already had, before getting a new application, so I did not try Video2DVD.

However, Subtitle Workshop was enough, and thank you, AlanHK, for your advice, because it worked fine.

It transfered over the times correctly. I just needed to make sure that each English .srt had the exact same amount of line entries as the .ssa files and it worked.

Sadly, the English files I have are a little different from the Chinese files, and there are additional entries in Chinese that are not found in the English, so why the timings are perfect, the messages eventually all end up coming in the wrong orders.

That is not the timings fault, though, so that will be a new issue for me to figure out. Thank you for your assistance =)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DonutFiend99
    Sadly, the English files I have are a little different from the Chinese files, and there are additional entries in Chinese that are not found in the English, so why the timings are perfect, the messages eventually all end up coming in the wrong orders.
    I've worked with similar files.

If you can read even a little Chinese, you can usually work out which are the corresponding English subtitles.

In Subtitle Workshop, read the Help file:
    2.3 Adjust subtitles
    2.2.4 Method 4: advanced subtitle adjust
    "...This system lets you select multiple subtitle/video points so that you can synchronize the subtitle by "parts"..."
    (You may notice this should actually be 2.3.4.)
    Quote Quote