VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some old video tapes that I would like to convert to digital format to be posted on Youtube.

I inherited a Pioneer DVR 520 H from my stepfather.

I burned the video to a DVD using a vcr and the Pioneer and neither of my computers can acess the files other than to play them.

I burned them in both the VR and VM modes, no luck. I tried opening them in the windows movie maker (where I have sucessfully captuered video from my camera), no go. The Mac saw the files and said acess was denied when I tried to move them onto the hard drive.

Question: does the Pioneer encode a copy protection on its DVDs when burning them?? They mention a copy protection program in the manual and are unclear about its application when the discs are burnt. I called Pioneer for support but the individual on the phone was unconvincing in that he was not familiar with even the scant info in the manual....

I know I could run the videos from my vcr into my digital video camera and then feed them to the PC but I wonder if there is a cleaner way??

I know that answering questions like these must get old, so I appreciate any help and all of the pateince that you can spare. If there are online tutorials, just point the way.

Thanks

Guy
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Movie Maker is not designed for any dvd converting. I would instead try tmpgenc xpress to import directly from dvd-vr or dvds and cut and convert.

If you are looking for free tools I don't know what you can do for dvd-vr modes. Can't the pioneer record in standard dvd mode(a video_ts folder)? If it can I would edit with dvd shrink and then use vob2mpg and upload the mpg to youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Turns out the Pioneer was creating a TS folder with a vob file and a couple of attendant info files in it. I downloaded the vob2 mpeg program and converted to mpegs but I lost the audio..Any suggestions??? I did this on my XP equipped laptop. I also downloaded the net program that vob2mpeg said it needed.

Thanks,

Guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The audio is AC3 - do you have the codecs ?

I use VOB2MPG on discs from my Pioneer regularly and never have a problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do now..Thanks guys.. the videos work and they sound right. I frequent other forums on the web and I must say that you guys treat beginners very nicely here. I will recommend this place to anyone who needs help in this area.

Guy
    Quote Quote