VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, all my drives are sata drives, hdd, dvd-rw, dvd-rom, I've had the dvd burner for about 9 months, it was burning dvd's fine, then for some reason I couldn't burn anything I kept getting a failed burn, I tried other burning programs, so I uninstalled the sata burner and installed a IDE burner, now I can burn a dvd with no problems, do you thing the sata dvd burner is knacked? someone told me its a dma problem but I thought you can forget about dma as sata is faster, I don't have another pc to try it in
    The more you know the more you know that you don't know
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First thing to do is exchange the cables connected to the unit and see if that sorts it out.

Second is to uninstall the sata controllers and reboot and allow windows to reinstall them, and reboot once more.

After this, you check the unit on another system to identify if fault is with unit, or the pc it came from.

If all the above fails, then it knacker's.

---

On occasions I get drives with similar problems, and pull them down to access the control board only to find the problem caused by a small amount of solder bridging across the circuit where it shouldn't be and takes only a few minutes to resolve.

Anything beyond this point I simply don't bother with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for your help, I changed the sata cable and put the burner on another port but its still the same, I was going to uninstall the sata controllers as you suggested but I've received an email from scan the online computer shop offering me a RMA so I think I'll go for that, I've never had to send anything back before what do they test the drive and repair it, or just send me a new one
    The more you know the more you know that you don't know
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You typically receive a replacement OEM drive. The cost of drives is so low, it costs more to fix them and to simply replace it.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote