VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi..my mom held the camera sideways when she shot a clip, and I tried rotating it so it was straight in windows movie maker, but it distorted the picture, so everyone looked like they weighed 300 pounds lol

why is this happening? I'm not changing the size of it, just rotating it! is there any software I can use or something I can do to rotate this without the distortion? my mom is bugging me to make her videos into a nice producuton and i cant until I get this solved.

I guess she shouldnt have held the camera sideways lol...she doesn't know

any suggestions?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by cduval04
    ... I'm not changing the size of it, ...
    But WMM changing it, without any proportions control.

Originally Posted by cduval04
    ... is there any software I can use or something I can do to rotate this without the distortion? ...
    Yes. Example VirtualDub, Avisynth script, MEncoder (and some GUI's (MediaCoder)).
    You can eventually crop and/or resize and/or add 'borders'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cduval04
    ...but it distorted the picture, so everyone looked like they weighed 300 pounds lol
    why is this happening?
    If you were paying attention in geometry class, camcorder video is usually 4 units wide by 3 units high. Rotate that 90 degrees and let the program stretch back and what do you see? Explain your solution.

Blue book due by 10:30.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct answer:

This is only one of the non-intuitive differences between WMM XP SP2 and WMM VISTA. XP scales X and Y, Vista scales only in X with fixed aspect ratio. They also rotate oposite directions.

Maybe somebody else complained?

BTW: Most other effects apps default to fixed aspect ratio. Some scale to vertical, others mask.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh thanks for pointing that out edDV....I have a vista computer upstairs...I will just use that.....

for all of you who think I wasnt paying attention in geometry...I graduated with honors in HS and have a 3.92 in college and am graduating in a few weeks with highest honors....I havent taken geomotry since 9th grade, any math since my freshman yr in college..you kind of forget that stuff when u dont use it...now that you say it it makes perfect sense though

plus, I was extra tired when I worte that post, wasnt in my best state of mind lol...

thanks to all who helped though...now I know my answer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was just a stall and a bad joke while I checked how XP did the rotation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I forgive you LOL ..thanks the for answer anyway...it probably would have taken me 2 days to figure out that vista maintained aspect ratio..even though I have a vista computer...just wouldnt have thought of it!!
    Quote Quote