VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amerphy View Post
    I did read jehill's excellent post and tested it, unfortunately udf 2.01 DVD-R disk I created originally did NOT play in my PS3 which, coincidentally, is the most popular BluRay player out there. It may play in other BD players including BD computer drivers but I have not tested that.

After spending some time on this I was able to successfully create a and burn a udf 2.5 disk image on my mac using only the tools that came with it. After I did that the disk did play in PS3. I must have wasted a whole spindle of DVDs in the process I am wrapping the method I into a bash script which unfortunately only works on a 10.5 mac os x, if somebody finds a way to replicate it on linux we should be set. I will post links when done.

for those that care here is the sequence:

1. convert memory card file structure to DB format (http://www.elurauser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp), hopefully you have less then 4.6 gb so it fits on a DVD with udf file system overhead. (i highly recommend getting a bunch of 4gb memory cards instead of larger ones - they are dirt cheap and fit perfectly on a DVD later)

2. create a large file (size must a multiple of 2048 but I would make it a multiple of 1024*1024 to be safe), it does not matter what is inside the file since it will be overwritten. dd utility is useful for this.
    4. run
    Code:
    newfs_udf -r 2.5 myfile.img -v volume_label
    (this is going to create a udf 2.5 file system in the file)
    5. mount the file, for example:
    Code:
    hdiutil mount -nobrowse myfile.img
    , this is going to mount by default in /Volumes/volume_label
    6. copy your BD compatible file structure to the image using any method you like
    7. unmount the image:
    Code:
    hdiutil unmount /Volume/volume_label
    8. burn it to disk in disk utility, I did it at 8x and had no problems.

The disk should be readable in the mac, win vista and should play in PS3. As an added bonus for mac users, iMovie or FCP/FCE will be able to use this disk as a "camera" and act as a perfect and cheap backup for the unedited footage. That's what I call gold standard !

Few last notes, It is possible to simply copy AVCHD files from the card without any changes to a reguar DATA dvdr and PS3 will read and play them. However it will not automatically concatenate streams and each clip will need to be started and stopped from the folder-based menu. I record in short clips so I had to do this often enough to be seriously put off. Second problem, until PS3 finishes reading information about each of the clips the playback will stutter. If you wait long enough for the PS3 to display all of the clips in the home screen before playing them the clips will play without stutter.
    [/url]
    Sorry to resurrect, but in case it will be of interest - I did the above and created an AVCHD disk in UDF 2.5. It was a Dual Layer DVD9. My LG BD390 Bluray player recognized it as a bluray disk, but then gave me an error and wouldn't play it. I may try a smaller file on a standard DVD4.

Thanks,

Diz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted an HD video camera to record my son's soccer matches and to use when I travel. I have a Blu Ray player and a DVD burner on my computer but no Blu Ray burner, so the idea of playing AVCHD DVDs on my Blu Ray player was appealing.

It took a good deal of effort to figure out how to author those AVCHD DVDs and I found that a little bit frustrating. I first started writing software over 40 years ago, so I consider my self an expert. It took me two days to figure this out. In an effort to help others, I'm including the simplest procedure that enabled me to create an AVCHD DVD on my older Windows XP Pro machine with a DVD writer that would play on my Sony BDP-S560 Blu Ray player.

The procedure below requires downloading two software packages. I make no claims as to whether or not these are virus free or safe to use. I use them with no adverse effects, but each user should make their own decision based on their own judgment and risk tolerance. If you are a complete novice to computing then you probably will need help with the process below. For example, I don't go through the step by step process of how to download and install software or how to copy files from one location to another. The instructions need to be followed carefully and exactly.

To Transfer Video from the Canon Vixia Camcorder to an AVCHD DVD
    for playback on a Blu-Ray player.

Software Required:
    1. multiAVCHD
    2. ImgBurn

Steps to transfer the video and create an AVCHD DVD

1. Plug the camcorder into the computer
    a. Plug the camcorder into its power supply
    b. Turn on the camcorder
    c. Set the camcorder to playback mode
    d. Plug the camcorder into the computer using the USB cable

2. Copy the AVCHD folder from the camcorder to the computer

3. Start the multiAVCHD program
    a. Click the "AVCHD/BDMV/DVD folders" button
    b. Select the AVCHD item that was copied from the camcorder
    i. The Title Properties window will open
    - Click "No" when it asks if you want to create a slide show
    - Wait for multiAVCHD to process the video clips
    - A named list will appear; click on it
    - Change the default title from AVCHD to something else
    - Click the "OK" button in the Title Properties window
    c. Set the destination path in the lower left panel
    d. Click the Start button
    i. The Destination and Playback type window will open
    A. Use the pull-down menu in the top section to select Canon Vixia
    B. Select the AVCHD Relaxed button
    - wait for the encoding to complete

4. Start the ImgBurn program
    a. Select Write files/folders to disc
    b. Make sure that the "Verify" box is NOT checked
    c. Make sure that the "Auto" box is checked
    d. Select the folder icon and navigate to the location where
    multiAVCHD saved the proceessed AVCHD folder per the destination path
    e. Insert a blank DVD into the DVD drive
    i. The folder to disk icon will light up when the DVD is ready
    f. Click the folder to disk icon to burn the DVD
    Last edited by Flavors NW; 15th Aug 2010 at 16:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great documentation.

I do the same for HDV or cable box m2t MPeg2 source as well as AVCHD.

The AVCHD/BDMV folder created by MultiAVCHD can contain MPeg2 or VC1 files as well and will play on a Blu-Ray player.
    Last edited by edDV; 15th Aug 2010 at 16:55.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote