VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to this so please bear with me. Is there a simple DVD Slideshow/Authoring software that will let me add a promotional video (that cannot be skipped) at the start of a DVD? I was hoping Ulead's MovieFactory or muvee's autoProducer can do this but the intro video that they let you insert CAN be skipped.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-lab Pro can do that job.

Note: First of all it is important to note that you have to have very good reason
    to use UOPs. Do not simply blindly add UOPs just because everybody else does it.
    People generally hate any kind of restrictions especially if there is no reason for them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can author in the tool of your choice, and go back in afterwards with PGCEdit to change the UOPs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OR he/she can use GIMP ++ Avisynth ++ HCenc for creating
    the next slideshows. 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would actually trust that more than DVD Lab Pro for slideshows. I create mine in Vegas because I have had some pretty dodgy slideshows output from DLP in the past.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Or you can author in the tool of your choice, and go back in afterwards with PGCEdit to change the UOPs.
    Thanks for the lead.

I thought of doing this but I need help in the steps. I need to create the DVD folders then use PGCEdit? There will be just 1 video (introduction) and 1 menu with the slideshow and another video as the chapters. How do I use PGCEdit for this? What UOP code should I use? I can use PGCEdit to burn the DVD, right? How do I do this? PGCEdit seems to be a powerful tool but I think I need step-by-step instructions to be able to use it.

I was planning on applying the same restrictions for the introductory video as the typical FBI warning.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    OR he/she can use GIMP ++ Avisynth ++ HCenc for creating
    the next slideshows. 8)
    Thanks. I'll look into this too. I was hoping there was a software option out there that can handle all my requirements. I didn't think I would need a combination.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was planning on applying the same restrictions for the introductory video as the typical FBI warning.
    If you are being paid for this job, I would avoid doing this. It might bring up contract issues and whatnot.

If you're doing it for free, a little self-promotion at the beginning would be okay... But I'd make it VERY little and I'd resist the urge to enforce the playback. If it's tiny, most people won't bother to skip ahead (but they'll appreciate that they have that option). If it's big and you force people to watch... well... even on a free job it's going to make someone angry.

Most of us will do the occaisonal free job in the hopes of getting paid work later. No one will suggest you for a job if you screw them like that. I slip my little "logo clip" in as a first run clip on the DVD. It's four seconds long and over before you know it and completely skip-able. I haven't had any complaints yet. I personally know of other people who've done what you're thinking about. They never get a second job from the peopole they've done it to.

If you're looking for future work, give yourself a small intro, a longer non-UOP advert at the end, and you can even slip in a menu entry if you're discrete. (easy to find easter egg... my favorite method)
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not for me. It is for an advertiser who is sponsoring the service. My customers have the option to either pay for the service or get it for free. If they want the freebie, they know that they have to watch the ad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then PGCEdit is probably the way to go. I have used this very little but I'm sure there are guides available.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote