VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few video files that don't play well. They are played back in black and white while they really are in color. If I look at the file's properties, I see they are encoded as "MPEG-4 v3". My system uses the "Nero Video Encoder" codec to play this content.

I checked online and found for instance "FFDShow" that supposedly can handle MPEG-4 v3. But the description says it can also decompress XviD and DivX content. So id I install this, will it overwrite my already installed DivX and XviD codecs?

Or do I need something else to play MPEG-4 v3 content?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

I checked online and found for instance "FFDShow" that supposedly can handle MPEG-4 v3. But the description says it can also decompress XviD and DivX content. So id I install this, will it overwrite my already installed DivX and XviD codecs?
    Nope.

My system uses the "Nero Video Encoder" codec to play this content.

Or do I need something else to play MPEG-4 v3 content?
    Surely nobody needs a codec hell started by Nero.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried playing the files with vlc?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, and thank you for your answers.

I haven't tried playing the files with any other program besides WMP under Windows, but I was able to play the files just fine under Linux.

I tried installing FFDShow and the MPEG-4 v3 Codec Fix, but WMP still plays the files using Nero Video Encoder.

Sooooo, what do I need to do?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Use Media Player Classic, or an MPlayer GUI.
    Uninstall Nero.
    Kiss WMP good-bye.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Or VLC or KMPlayer which also have all their own codecs built in.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool. But for argument's sake, let's say I want to stick with WMP, how do I install the correct codec (and get windows to actually use it)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would start by ignoring the file properties that Windows displays, as they are inadequate for most uses. Use g-spot or media info or video inspector to get a more accurate picture of the actual codec used to compress the file, then worry about installing one.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also note that these problems can be contributed by inappropriate video drivers, and its best to make sure they have been updated prior to messing about with the installation of codecs.

If anyone says to install klite codec pack, run in the other direction, my preference for any of these is known as the cccp or combined community codec pack, but it is still a good idea to only install codecs individually as required.

But from the sounds of it, that reminds me of the mpeg4 codecs provided by microsoft, which should be automatically downloaded by windows media player should they be required.

Also found at > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Microsoft_MPEG-4_V1_2_3_VKI_Codec.htm

Oh, and the nero codec isnt too clever, just like the rest of their products, so you might need to use a tool like filmerit to reset the ms mpeg4 codecs to higher status than the nero codec ... it would appear nero is trying to take over the world, and its starting at your place, lol.

filmerit (read the page as well on how to use it) ... found here > http://paul.glagla.free.fr/filmerit_en.htm ... looks like a translation needs to be done in english ...

This is the one your more likely after > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/RadLight_Filter_Manager.htm, makes reseting the codec merits much simpler.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I would start by ignoring the file properties that Windows displays, as they are inadequate for most uses.
    I actually used VirtualDubMod to find out the codec used. And since VirtualDubMod is able to play the files correctly, I'm assuming it got it right.

Originally Posted by Bjs
    Also note that these problems can be contributed by inappropriate video drivers, and its best to make sure they have been updated prior to messing about with the installation of codecs.
    I have the latest NVidia drivers. Which in itself was the cause of several other video problems, but that's an entirely different discussion altogether.

If anyone says to install klite codec pack, run in the other direction, my preference for any of these is known as the cccp or combined community codec pack, but it is still a good idea to only install codecs individually as required.
    I never install codec packs, I always install individual codecs.

But from the sounds of it, that reminds me of the mpeg4 codecs provided by microsoft, which should be automatically downloaded by windows media player should they be required.

Also found at > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Microsoft_MPEG-4_V1_2_3_VKI_Codec.htm
    I had installed that already but still WMP insists on using the Nero Video Decoder.

Oh, and the nero codec isnt too clever, just like the rest of their products, so you might need to use a tool like filmerit to reset the ms mpeg4 codecs to higher status than the nero codec ... it would appear nero is trying to take over the world, and its starting at your place, lol.
    That was a good suggestion. I completely fogot I already had "DirectShow Filter Manager" installed on my system. But guess what? The "Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor" already has a higher merit than the Nero Video Decoder. Still WMP uses Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Zippy1970
    No, it won't overwrite any other codecs. But it may overide them. That is, when a program asks Directshow to decompress a Divx video ffdshow may do the decompression rather than Divx. But ffdshow allows you to enable or disable each of the codecs it handles so you can get around this if necessary.

Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/ says:

Windows MediaPlayer replays all audio streams simultaneously.
    This is normal. WMP does not support AVI files, don't use it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, the problem has been partially solved. I was able to get color back in WMP by disabling "Use high quality mode" under "Video Acceleration".

That still leaves the problem why I can't get WMP to use another codec - even after setting the merit for Nero to zero.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed that disabling "Use high quality mode" messes up XviD playback...

So I really would like to simply start over again - delete/uninstall all video codecs on the system and add them as needed.

What's the best way to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  15. You probabably have video overlay problems. Maybe in conjunction with frame size incompatabilities with certain decoders. Some Divx/Xvid decoders require frame sizes that are a multiple of 2, some a multiple of 4. When a decoder gets a frame size is doesn't like it may do odd things to the colors.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You probabably have video overlay problems. Maybe in conjunction with frame size incompatabilities with certain decoders. Some Divx/Xvid decoders require frame sizes that are a multiple of 2, some a multiple of 4. When a decoder gets a frame size is doesn't like it may do odd things to the colors.
    But how do I know if that's the case and how do I solve that?

Anyway, like I said earlier, I had run VirtualDubMod to check the fourCC code of this particular video file and it identified it as "MP43". WMP used the "Nero Video Decoder" to play it. When I removed Nero Video Decoder, WMP switched to "Nero DVD Decoder" which displayed the same problems (no color playback). When I removed Nero DVD Recorder too, WMP was no longer able to play the file at all, even though I had installed another MP43 (MPEG-4 v3) codec.

So, as guns1inger suggested earlier, I downloaded VideoInspector. Oddly enough, VideoInspector told me the fourCC code was "DIV3" (DivX v3) and [u]not[/i] "MP43" as VirtualDubMod told me. Weird thing is that VirtualDubMod is able to play the file just fine, so how it misidentifies the fourCC code is beyond me. Another thing VideoInspector told me is that the DivX codec was not installed - which was weird since it was and always had been installed. So I check with a Filter Manager and sure enough, even though the DivX codec is listed in the registry, the files are missing. I have absolutely no clue how that could have happened although for he past few weeks, I have been experiencing other weird things with my computer (like a whole bunch of applications suddenly lost their settings and stuff). Mind you, I don't download illegal copies of applications, I never open attachements in emails, I don't visit "fishy" sites and I run a virus- spyware- and adware scanner so I'm convinced I don't have any of that.

Anyhow, I reinstall DivX and now VideoInspector tells me the proper codec for playing this file is available. But when I try to play the file with WMP I get an error message:

I know I could easily use another player and ditch WMP but there are several reasons I need to get this working in WMP.
    Quote Quote  
  17. In my experience newer versions of Divx are not good at decoding DIV3 -- often crashing like you are seeing. The DIV3 decoder in ffdshow works better. Or download and install the Divx 3.11 codec.

Note that Divx (the company) originally used some buggy sample code from Microsoft to make Divx 3. At some point they created their own Divx codec (4.0?) but backwards compatability with the original Microsoft version has always been spotty.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can try some player that does not use ffdshow codecs.
    Such as MPlayer GUI, or VLC
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by workinmatrix
    You can try some player that does not use ffdshow codecs.
    Such as MPlayer GUI, or VLC
    Not paying attention?

Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Use Media Player Classic, or an MPlayer GUI.
    Uninstall Nero.
    Kiss WMP good-bye. :lol:
    Or VLC or KMPlayer which also have all their own codecs built in.
    Originally Posted by Zippy1970
    But for argument's sake, let's say I want to stick with WMP, how do I install the correct codec (and get windows to actually use it)?
    Originally Posted by Zippy1970
    I know I could easily use another player and ditch WMP but there are several reasons I need to get this working in WMP.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience newer versions of Divx are not good at decoding DIV3 -- often crashing like you are seeing. The DIV3 decoder in ffdshow works better. Or download and install the Divx 3.11 codec.
    I still have the original Divx 3.11a setup somewhere on my HD, but I can remember vaguely there was some problem if you installed it in XP. I could be totally wrong however.

I'll try FFDShow first. Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, WMP now says it's using "ffdshow Video Decoder" to play the video and guess what? It's still the same - no color. The only way I can get color back is by disabling "Use high quality mode" in "Video Acceleration Settings:

Now for some reason, disabling "Use high quality mode" introduced terrible tearing when playing XviD and DivX content. But this time it doesn't. Apparently that was fixed by re-installing the DivX codec earlier. But now when I play XviD video, WMP uses "DivX Decoder Filter" instead of the XviD codec. Reinstalling XviD does not help.

I'm in codec hell.

I'll try to change the merits for both DivX and XviD, see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, apparently DivX sets its own merit higher than "Preferred". So I lowered DivX's merit to "Normal" and increased XviD's merit to "Preferred" and now WMP is using the XviD codec when playing XviD content. So all is well you would think, no?

No.

Now the tearing is back. Apparently when using the XviD codec, disabling "Use high quality mode" introduces tearing when WMP uses the XviD codec. Confused? I don't blame ya! So to sum it all up:

"Use high quality mode" DISabled, DivX codec preferred over XviD codec
    • Playing "DIV3" content is fine
    • Playing DivX content is fine
    • Playing XviD content is fine
    "Use high quality mode" DISabled, XviD codec preferred over DivX codec
    • Playing "DIV3" content is fine
    • Terrible tearing playing DivX content
    • Terrible tearing playing XviD content
    "Use high quality mode" ENabled, DivX codec preferred over XviD codec
    • No color playing "DIV3" content
    "Use high quality mode" ENabled, XviD codec preferred over DivX codec
    • No color playing "DIV3" content
    So the sweet spot seems to be to disable high quality mode an using DivX to play both DivX and XviD video.

Is there any disadvantage using DivX instead of XviD for playing XviD video?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Already tried these ones?

Quote Quote  
  24. Why aren't you using overlay?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why aren't you using overlay?
    I can't really remember why I disabled it, but I have my plasma tv hooked up to my videocard as well and think it was so I can watch the video on both the monitor and plasma tv simultaneously. I know I disabled it because it was somehow causing problems with my dual monitor setup.

I think.
    Quote Quote