VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm soooooooooooo confused arghhhhhh

I have some money ... want a new computer ... can't make my mind up !!!

I thought I'd go with the AMD ATHLON X2 6400+ CPU because the price seems right but I can't seem to find a motherboard that has everything I want ... or if I do then it gets bad reviews !!!

I'm leaning towards the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 motherboard. It seems to have everything I want in a motherboard. The problem is while it has gotten some really good reviews it also has gotten some really bad reviews. So that is making me a bit "timid" on purchasing it.

I like this board because it has PCIe 2.0 and built-in IEEE 1394 and I can't tell you how hard I have tried to find a motherboard that has BOTH of those features PLUS the support needed for the AMD ATHLON X2 6400+

I could care less about Crossfire and SLI although I do plan on getting a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT and although this board supports Crossfire and not SLI my understanding is that it will still function perfectly fine with a Nvidia card ... just no SLI ... but I would never do that anyways (one is more than expensive and enough for my needs).

So I guess I am looking for comments about the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 motherboard and I am more than welcome to suggestions on other motherboards that may be a better solution as long as they will work with the AMD ATHLON X2 6400+ CPU.

HOWEVER ... HAVING SAID THE ABOVE ...

I would be more than willing to go with an INTEL CPU instead. I've come to the conclusion that if I go with INTEL that I would go with either the INTEL Core 2 Duo E6850 which isn't that much more (knock on wood) than the AMD ATHLON X2 6400+ CPU and I admit that if I am going to spend THAT much then perhaps I would be better off with the INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 (which seems really sweet).

The price difference between the AMD ATHLON X2 6400+ CPU and INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 is about $37.00 US Dollars and I can swing that (not THAT broke) but it seems to me that the motherboards needed for the INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 are a bit on the "expensive" side and again it seems to be a problem finding a model that has everything I want (basically PCIe 2.0 with built-in IEEE 1394) that also has (mostly) glowing reviews.

I need help ... please ... my eyes are going CRAZY from the time I've spent on sites like newegg.com and mwave.com and tigerdirect.com etc.

I should point out that my budget is about $800.00 US Dollars (I can maybe push that to $900.00 MAX TOTAL with shipping etc.) and I intend to buy the following with that:

CPU
    MOTHERBOARD
    RAM (at least 2GB if not 4GB)
    POWER SUPPLY
    Nvidia GeForce 9600GT
    NEW COMPUTER CASE

I'm good on optical drives and HDD drives and software and monitor and keyboard/mouse etc. and I'm pretty sure already what case, power supply and video card I'll be buying. I don't think picking RAM will be an issue either.

So really it boils down to which motherboard/cpu "bundle" I'll be going with ...

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Would also be nice if I could get some recommendations on after market CPU coolers!
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That AMD processor is pretty anemic, John - especially if you plan on doing encoding. Why the 9600GT ? If you decide to get it, make sure your power supply has a 6pin power connector for it:

I'd go for this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128083

And the Intel Q6600 Quad Core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

This case seems like a deal for $60 - Good power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121004

Good price for 4GB RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211281

Remember that all the newer motherboards are going to have lots of SATA and maybe 1 PATA controller on them.

Add a 9600GT and you're at $665 so far
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wouldn't complain about soopa's parts in a build of mine. i prefer abit p35 motherboards, but they aren't much different. built 2 - q6600 quad core system in the last month and all i can do is smile.... i wouldn't go back to using amd cpus right now if you paid me.

i like these type hsf's right now. they are big heavy cool nicely and are quiet. my 2.4GHz q6600s are overclocked at 3.0Ghz without any additional noise.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know.. maybe have a look at the thread below for some pointers. You didn't give any
    specifics about your plans for this new system/upgrade. You know, encoding video; watching tv;
    editing/filtering video; hdtv recording; etc., that might help you make the right choice for the
    task.

--> HD x264 CPU benchmark - compare different CPUs encoding the same file by graysky; 031508

Last year I upgraded my system from ground up (plus the headackes to get it partially where
    I want) and you already know my failure with the Hauppauge HVR-1600 card, and my ultimate
    move -- to yank it out and replace it with the Pinnacle PCTV HD pro -- and still moving right
    along with this (usb-2) card.

I made the upgrade (last year) for the purpose of HDTV (windows xp support only) and to redo
    my vhelp Video Workstation, souly for that purpose. I can safely say that I have made that
    move, successfully, though I still use my Windows 98 for minor video editing/filter/encoding
    projects, among other things.

The other side to this upgrade move is that I also mainly do all my video/imaging programming
    projects on that computer.

from the Video Workstation of,
    -vhelp 4654
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss said - i prefer abit p35 motherboards

Those are fine as well, as I'm typing on one right now
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would tend to agree the Intel Q6600 is a good choice for a CPU. I would also note that the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 is basically a AM2+ MB, more suited to a AM2+ CPU such as one of the Phenoms. Those would make better use of it's potential than a AMD AM2 CPU. But the Q6600 should still outperform the Phenoms.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives you didn't mention how much you wanna spend on a new pc so here's my suggestions.
    The INTEL processor is the way to go right now as they have AMD beaten hands down. Get either a Intel Kentsfield Quad Q6600 for $220.00 or a Intel C2D Wolfdale E8400 for $200.00. Since the quad from Newegg is posted here's the Wolfdale E8400 link.

Intel Wolfdale E8400, $199.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35, $89.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
    The other Gigabyte motherboard that soopafresh is fine too.

COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, $79.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Thermaltake TR2 RX W0136RU ATX12V Ver2.2 500W Power Supply, Modular cabling, $84.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153058

Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply, $79.99/ $54.99 after $25.00 mail in rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153028

I use the COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-LB12-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Hyper 212, $42.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103040
    This hsf has the capability to use (2) 120mm fans on it.

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel, $68.99/ $33.99 after $35.00 mail in rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

I'd also recommend Crucial Ballistic but it seems they have some bad batches right now so I recommend the CORSAIR.

I have 2 of those Cooler Master cases which are both great. If you're planning on overclocking the Northbridge Chipsets do get a bit warm on the Gigabyte Motherboards. I just nylon tied a 40mm scythe kaze mini fan to my NB. Just my 2 cents! Have fun with building your new computer!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a MB for my new Q6600 also. It's pretty mind boggling. My top two picks are the ABIT IP35 Pro and the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P.

Here's a list from Newegg I made up...

Code:
    ABIT IP35 Pro...........$169.99 ($139.99 after $30 rebate)
    DLP LP LT P35 T2R.......$169.99
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P...$156.99
    MSI P35DS PLATINUM......$159.99 ($129.99 after $30 rebate)
    ASUS P5K-E..............$139.99
    ASUS P5K PRO............$139.99
    ASUS P5E-VM HDMI........$129.99
    ASROCK 1600P35-WIFI.....$129.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductComparePrint.aspx?SubCategory=280&CompareItemList...1&N=2000200280

I'm leaning towards ATI for both video and tuner card...
    Code:
    DIAMOND RADEON HD 3870...............$164.99
    HIS RADEON HD 2600XT..................$99.99
    VISIONTEK RADEON HD 3850.............$109.99
    DIAMOND RADEON X1650 PRO.............$102.99

EVGA GeFORCE 8800 GTS................$144.99

DIAMOND ATI TV WONDER HD 650 PCI-E...$114.99

HAUPPAUGE WINTV HVR 1800..............$89.99
    Not sure I can afford the M.I.T. MyHD capture card after the MB and Video card. I may need a sound card also if I have sync issues with the ATI card.

Memory will depend on the board.

DDR2 800, DDR2 1066, DDR2 1200 OR DDR3 1333

I have the same CPU cooler that budz has. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212. The Intel Desktop Utilities says it runs at 57*C but all my other monitors says it runs 32*C to 36*C (before I upgraded to XP, Desktop Utilities read it at 21*C. I've never trusted the desktop utility).

Still using my cheap old Allied TU-124 which is on Intel's recommended for cooling list.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS. My friend at Intel told me that we're going to be sorry for not waiting until this summer to build our new PCs. He says that the prices on everything will drop bigtime and that the new chips will make everything we just bought obsolete.

The technology is supposed to improve drastically in the next few months with USB 3.0 and SATA 4 hitting the market and Intel CPUs that run circles around their old chips. He thinks they may force AMD out of CPU market, they're so far behind. I'm thinking probably 8 and 16 core chips. No wonder AMD took over ATI. I heard that Intel is making Video cards so it probably won't be long until they put AMD out of the video card market also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    PS. My friend at Intel told me that we're going to be sorry for not waiting until this summer to build our new PCs. He says that the prices on everything will drop bigtime and that the new chips will make everything we just bought obsolete.
    That's the norm when newer computer components are released especially processors. IMHO there's never the correct timing on buying computer components because there is always something faster that will be released in a few months. Nothing new to me unless one has mega bucks to burn then they can always buy whatevers the newest, fastest and most expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've always liked Asus myself. Since we had some bad experiences with Abit Mobos in the past I steer clear of them.

I've used this one at work the Asus P5k and the P5K-V (W/Video) 3 x USB connectors support additional 6 USB ports
    Back Panel
    1 x PS/2 Keyboard
    1 x S/PDIF Out (Coaxial)
    1 x External SATA
    1 x IEEE1394a
    1x RJ45 port
    6x USB 2.0/1.1
    8-channel Audio I/O
    Mobo Ports
    1 x Floppy disk drive connector
    1 x IDE connector
    1 x COM connector
    5x SATA connectors
    1 x CPU Fan connector
    2 x Chassis Fan connector
    1 x Power Fan connector
    1 x IEEE1394a connector
    Front panel audio connector
    1 x S/PDIF Out Header
    Chassis Intrusion connector
    CD audio in
    24-pin ATX Power connector
    1x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
    System Panel(Q-Connector)

A external Drive plugged into the eSata mover data fast compared to USB2.

As say We've done several of these P5K and a P5K-V system for customers.

OTOH Here is a Dell Inspiron 530 with Q6600 for $649 http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDDWDE4&s=dhs
    With these Components
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
    19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
    500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    16X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
    No Floppy Drive Included
    No Modem Option
    My Software & Accessories
    Dell A225 2.0 Speakers
    McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
    Microsoft Works 9.0
    My Service
    1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support
    Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
    Also Includes
    Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
    Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    Windows Vista™ Premium
    No Entertainment software pre-installedCompatibility Alert

And you can choose video card and sound card and so on. Plus as a Dell it is quiet and that is with a 19" Wide FP.

I couldn't build it that cheapespecially with a 19"WS Flat panel. You could order and sell on the Display panel.

This the webpage I was looking at.
    the%20dell%20online%20store%20build%20your%20syste m.mht
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

I stumbled across this page a little bit ago. Some charts on how the Intels stack up in doing x264 work http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=499&pgno=5 .

I am really liking my Q6600 . Easily bumped up the clock up from 2.4 to 2.8GHz. Have read of people going to 3GHz and beyond. Hope this helps and good luck with your new rig.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I do appreciate all of the comments. Thank you all

I have been looking some more on-line and I think I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following two:

1.) ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

2.) ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

The price of the ABIT is $219.99 but it has a mail in rebate of $30.00 making the final price $189.99
    The price of the ASUS is $224.99 with no current rebate nor sale making the final price $224.99

Looking at the two I find myself leaning towards the ABIT ... not so much for the slightly cheaper price (although nice) but mostly due to the fact that it has a PS/2 for keyboard and mouse. The ASUS only has one PS/2 for the keyboard. Call me old school but I don't like having only one PS/2 port. Perhaps I'm just being silly?

As far as I can tell both of these motherboards support the new 45nm INTEL processors so that still leaves me with the decision of which to buy? The INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale or the INTEL Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield? If I understand correctly the E8400 will be faster only when using software that doesn't take advantage of more than one core otherwise the Q6600 should always beat it ... correct? Since the most CPU intensive thing I do is video encoding I am guessing the Q6600 is the better choice? I've heard the E8400 is better for games and I would like to play some modern games on this thing but I can't image the Q6600 is "slow" for games especially with a "fast" video card. So I guess I should go with the Q6600 unless someone thinks the E8400 is better somehow ... in other words I'm more than open to suggestions as to which is better and why. In short I'm not really sure myself LOL

I want to point out that I did look at the the ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard which newegg.com has for only $139.99 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the other two motherboards and it would also support either CPU options I am looking at but I really want PCIe 2.0 and the ASUS P5K lacks this feature ... otherwise it seems "perfect" for my needs. Perhaps I should re-think my desire for PCIe 2.0 and just go with this motherboard instead?

I have until May 14, 2008 to make a purchase and still quality for the ABIT rebate should I decide to get that motherboard which for now is my tentative choice.

Obviously I'm still open to more suggestions and opinions ...

P.S.
    When talking about which CPU to go with for my needs please note that I've never ever gotten into OVER CLOCKING and it really is something I would rather not get into.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the abit sounds nice. and go with what you want for the cpu, neither is wrong or a bad choice. pick the one will put a smile on your face the first time it fires up.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the ASUS P5KC mobo which I bought around 3 weeks ago. Works great. It's a full size ATX motherboard, so make sure your case will fit it. I have an E8400, but it's because the place I bought it from was out of the Q6600 chip. I'm quite happy with the E8400, however. It plays everything without stuttering. But I think the Q6600 is a better chip for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    P.S.When talking about which CPU to go with for my needs please note that I've never ever gotten into OVER CLOCKING and it really is something I would rather not get into.
    If you're not into OVERCLOCKING then buy the Q6600. I'd still buy a aftermarket cpu heatsink fan since the Intel stock hsf is like a lil toy.

Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro, $24.99 from svc.com
    http://www.svc.com/acfzp7.html

Or a Cooler Master RR-CCH-P912-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, $19.99 from Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103041

I had used that CM cpu hsf on my Intel c2d Allendale 1.8ghz cpu that was overclocked to 3.00ghz which kept it cool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    P.S.When talking about which CPU to go with for my needs please note that I've never ever gotten into OVER CLOCKING and it really is something I would rather not get into.
    If you're not into OVERCLOCKING then buy the Q6600. I'd still buy a aftermarket cpu heatsink fan since the Intel stock hsf is like a lil toy.

Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro, $24.99 from svc.com
    http://www.svc.com/acfzp7.html

Or a Cooler Master RR-CCH-P912-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, $19.99 from Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103041

I had used that CM cpu hsf on my Intel c2d Allendale 1.8ghz cpu that was overclocked to 3.00ghz which kept it cool.
    Good news ... I mean I like the idea of not needing that other heatsink since it was like $45 or something like that ... good to know I can "get away" with a cheaper model.

This shit is adding up FAST man LOL

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good news ... I mean I like the idea of not needing that other heatsink since it was like $45 or something like that ... good to know I can "get away" with a cheaper model.

but think of how FAST your new computer will be!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz

but think of how FAST your new computer will be!
    Not to mention that summer is fast approaching and I am not looking forward to yet another round of my Prescott VS my A/C unit. Last summer the Prescott won ... with crazy temps and rebooting for no good reason etc.

Finally that calmed down when the temperatures went down but with temperatures climbing I figured it was a new heatsink and/or case to prevent it this summer and then I figured if I have to do ALL THAT I might as well get a new computer. After all it's been a good 3 years and 4 months with a very temperamental last year here so it's time to move on ...

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use an Asus P5E VM - HDMI. It's mATX (I like my workstation on the desktop) but brings PCIe, 1394, 12 USB, 6 SATA, 1 PATA, 10/100/1000 ethernet, dual channel DDR2 800, 8 channel audio, SPDIF, Conductive Polymer Cap's, HDCP compliant HDMI and Intel X3500 VGA. It is designed for overclocking...drop in a duo or quad and push it up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK now that I think I have pretty much figured out the motherboard/CPU thing I find I'm slightly confused on the video card choice.

I've boiled it down to the Nvidia 9600GT 512MB or the Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

I notice that the 8800GT 512MB is a bit more than the 9600GT 512MB but some models of the 8800GT 512MB aren't that much more than the 9600GT 512MB so I'm guessing the 8800GT 512MB is better?

Most important to me ... do both 9600GT and 8800GT have the same "specs" when it comes to accelerating various video codecs like x264 or AVC or VC-1 or whatever?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's much easier to take care of h264 acceleration by using CoreAVC, which is multicore aware. For $20, it's a deal.
    Quote Quote  
  23. FWIW the Q6600 w/2Gb that I use at home loads XP Home and AVG Internet Security in approx 1 minute. I can turn it on and a minute later be working. Much faster than the older AMD 4200 Dual core was. And Quiet.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was driving me nuts trying to make up my mind so I went ahead and ordered my board tonight.

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P (on sale at newegg for $149.99)
    2 GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 memory for $59.99 ($40 savings)
    HIS Hightech H260XTQT512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card with Free headphones for $79.99 after $20 rebate.

I'll have to wait to get a HD tuner card.

Should make the Q6600 run a lot better than it does on the Intel 965 board.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll like it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was driving me nuts trying to make up my mind so I went ahead and ordered my board tonight.

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P (on sale at newegg for $149.99)
    2 GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 memory for $59.99 ($40 savings)
    HIS Hightech H260XTQT512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card with Free headphones for $79.99 after $20 rebate.

I'll have to wait to get a HD tuner card.

Should make the Q6600 run a lot better than it does on the Intel 965 board.
    That looks like a good system for your quad.
    I've been reading a lot of forums on the Gigabyte motherboards regarding overclocking and just basic information on their motherboards. I've run across some threads that not using memory from their support list caused some compatibility issues.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    G.Skill is not on their list (it's a very small list) but I found a few threads on other forums where users said that it worked great on their Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P machines.

I'm running it on my Intel 965 board and it's not on their list either. It was what newegg recommended so I bought it. They don't have anything listed for Gigabyte boards.

If it doesn't work on the Gigabyte board, I can put in on the Intel and get something else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G.Skill is not on their list (it's a very small list) but I found a few threads on other forums where users said that it worked great on their Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P machines.

I'm running it on my Intel 965 board and it's not on their list either. It was what newegg recommended so I bought it. They don't have anything listed for Gigabyte boards.

If it doesn't work on the Gigabyte board, I can put in on the Intel and get something else.
    You've got everything worked out with a backup plan as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I still didn't buy my new computer yet but I think I finally got everything all sorted out and I'm ready to buy everything ... well ... except for one thing.

So yet another (last?) question:

For a total of $159.98 I can get Kingston 4GB 1066 PC2 8500 memory or for a total of $91.98 I can get Kingston 4GB 800 PC2 6400 memory. Both seem to be about the same "spec wise" ... for instance both are 1.8v which as I understand it works best with the motherboard I intend to buy.

Anyways I am trying to save some money here so for a difference of exactly $68.00 will I really see THAT big of a difference? In short I'd rather save the $68.00 if I can but not if the 1066 PC2 8500 memory is going to be "noticeable" faster than the 800 PC2 6400 memory.

Also I realize some of you may say I'm making a mistake but in order to keep the price down I've decided to go with AMD. I will be getting a Gigabyte 780G chipset ATX motherboard and intend to use the built-in ATI 3200 HD chipset (until I can afford a Nvidia 9600 video card ... motherboard comes with a PCIe 2.0 slot). I'll be pairing that with the AMD 9750 (the board supposedly supports that but not the 9850 ... go figure). The rest is all basic stuff like a new case and PSU and also getting yet another HDD (Western Digital 640GB).

Here is my New Egg list (with the 4GB 1066 PC2 8500 memory although I am now leaning towards the 4GB 800 PC2 6400 memory)

Comments please

P.S.
    Depending on the resolution that you use ... you may need to click on my NEWEGG DOT COM image to see it open up full size in a new browser window.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're right on the money with the Cooler Master 690 case is a good choice. I have one that houses a Intel Wolfdale E8400 processor. I like this case since it can house (7) 120mm case fans and (1)80x15 fan. Check out the CM 690 thread at Extremesystems.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171070

I'd recommend using 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12/ Airflow: 70.5 CFM, Noise: 33.0 dBA case fans for your front intake, side case fan & bottom fan that's inside the case. Also you could use 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12/ Airflow: 88.0 CFM Noise: 40 dBA Case Fan for your rear exhaust & top fans. You can purchase these Yate Loon fans from Petrastechshop.com. They supposedly get their YL fans directly from the YL. Other online retailers may have fake ones according the a Air Cooling threat at Extremesystems.com forum site. These YL fans are reasonably inexpensive. I use the 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12 fans in my CM 690 & CM Elite 330 cases.

Air Cooling XS Fan Review- Part 2
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170224

120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12, $5.95 each on sale/ 4 for $19.96/ Regular cost is $6.99 each
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html

120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12, $5.95 on sale/ 4 for $19.96/ Regular cost is $6.99 each
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa2.html

You could also get Antec Tricool 120mm fan from Svc.com which is only $9.99. I use them for my exhaust fan, side case fan in my CM 690 & rear exhaust in my CM Elite 330 case.

http://www.svc.com/tricool120.html

I use a EverCool 80x15mm case fan for the backside of the motherboard where the cpu is located. There other brands you could buy like Hiper from Newegg.com.

Scythe fans are also good to use which you can buy from either Petrastechshop.com or Svc.com. Both of those online retailers have great customer service and fast shipping via USPS Priority.

120mm Scythe SFF21F S-FLEX™ Case Fan (63.7 CFM/28 dBA), on sale $13.99
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/12scsfscafan1.html

120mm Scythe SFF21G S-FLEX™ Case Fan (75.0 CFM/34.0 dBA), on sale $13.99
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/12scsfscafan3.html

As for the processor I'd suggest getting a Intel cpu which is so much faster than anything AMD has right now. You can buy a Intel Wolfdale E8400 for $194.00 or a QUAD 6600 for $215.00.

As for the memory I'd just buy the ddr 800 & spend the extra money on getting a Intel processor & mobo!
    Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote