VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having trouble getting an english srt file for a particular avi, have downloaded a french version and have read that you can edit/translate into another language but haven't been able to find out how to, Subtitle Processor claims to, but need some hints on how to start, any help appreciated ta
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SubtitleCreator has a function to automatically translate using Google.
    I haven't used it myself, and obviously you would want to review an automatic translation.

Also Subtitle Workshop has a "translation mode" where you can put the original and the translated version side by side and work on them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks alan will give it a try
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dweeb52 View Post
    Having trouble getting an english srt file for a particular avi, have downloaded a french version and have read that you can edit/translate into another language but haven't been able to find out how to, Subtitle Processor claims to, but need some hints on how to start, any help appreciated ta
    Did you achieve any success using Subtitle Processor or any other tool to automatically translate .SRT files from one language to another ?

I have been looking for such a working tool to just simply translate all legends in a .SRT for more than a year but as yet without success, as many that claim to do language translation do not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would have been better just to create a new thread than dredge up a 8 year old thread over something simple. Subtitle Edit can use Google to translate between any language, how good the translation is up to google.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Translations done by a software will have numerous lines which will not match exactly what's actually being spoken in the film. This, of course will not be annoying if you have absolutely no knowledge of the parent language. My native language isn't French, but I do know some French, so for a French language movie I download French subtitles. When there isn't any, and I translate from English subs, it often differs from actually spoken lines. I have to tweak it myself.

An eight year old thread kept alive by simmering doubts in the minds of enthusiasts who care to go to lengths to find out. Hats off to VideoHelp for giving space to all of 'em - experts as well as novices.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for above help. Reason I didn't ask in a new thread is I often see advice do some initial research by at least checking the question has not already been asked before starting a new thread. Also see complaints when users do not heed that. I only joined this forum 2 weeks ago, as a result of my until now fruitless search for a simple to use working tool to automatically translate .SRT files, so my apologies if old threads depreciated.

Your tip about using 'Subtitle Edit' as a SRT Translator turned out to be spot on.

Prior to my above post I read you have a 'subtitle' section, so I read all 54 entries on your page: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/subtitle, giving a short precis of 54 Subtitle Apps, of which ONLY 2 Apps (Subtitle Processor & Subtitle Workshop) claimed to do language translation.

(I had already tried SW but it crashed when first run)

In my previous searches/evaluations I gathered a majority .SRT translators seem to have been written around 2006 using the then free and open Google Translate engine API. I read that in 2011 Google changed their API to a closed subscription model, breaking all free apps using their engine. I lost much time fruitlessley installing so called 'top picks' before discovering this. Many review sites have only updated their 'review date', but not updated their review content to show this, so misleading many readers.

VideoHelp precis for SP said no Guide available, latest release 2007 - prior to Google changing their API breaking those earliers Apps and I could not find which Translation engine SP used, I googled 'SF Guide' and found the above admittedly old post - but not old in relation to the '7.7.1 latest release'

I try to keep my mini-pc clean and rather not litter it with Apps that do not do what I want, but as I see SE is available in portable version and as I do not have its stated .NET4 Framework dependency, I gave the Portable a try and am delighted to find it simply translated the 3 SRT files I tried (Croatian > Portuguese & Spanish > Portuguese).

Have not had chance to check accuracy in detail but having manually used Google Translate for many years, I estimate its accuracy is around 60 to 80%, which although far from ideal, is sufficient for a non-English speaker to get the general gist of a communication.

As VideoHelp precis of Subtitle Editor made no mention it was also a Language Translator, and non of my previous searches listed it, I would have missed this gem had you not brought it to my attention. Thank you.
    Quote Quote