VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok my question is how can i fix this problem?

as you can see there are brackets with some random characters in them, i some times get those or just brackets with duplicate txt.

also is there a way to move the subs directly in the middle of the black box?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    These are not some "random" characters.
    Your player doesn't have apropiate fonts to display these characters properly, that's why they are substituted with squares.
    OR you do have the fonts, but maybe your player's language is not set for correct characters set,
    and there may be few other reasons to display incorrect characters.

Obviously the most standard ASCII characters are displayed correctly, its the other characters that are not.

If the subtitles are in any of the text formats (i.e. separate subtitles for avi movies) you can simply edit them to your liking with i.e. Subtitle Workshop.
    You can even use Notepad for some simple editing of text subtitles.
    If they would be part of DVD (which apparently they are not, because the characters would have been displayed properly), it is not that simple and I would have to write a complete guide for you to explain how to do it., because DVD subtitles just a low quality pictures overlayed during playback, thus there is no easy way to just "move" part of the subpicture to the middle... You'd need to rip the subtitles to text format, edit them to split/movethe lines the way you want, and create new graphical subpictures on your dvd (that means remuxing and reauthoring your original dvd).

/edit/
    You get duplicate subtitles being displayed sometimes, that may be because perhaps your player is using 2 different subtitling apps at once?
    I'll explain:
    if you have i.e. ffdshow codec, it is able to display "standalone" text subtitles (i.e. from SRT files) and subtitles in a graphical format like on DVD (i.e. from idx+sub files). If you have both subtitles - both would be displayed by ffdshow codec's features (1st by ffdshow and 2nd by vobsub app that is part of some ffdshow's installation versions). And you may have other codecs that are potentially adding subtitles.
    Quote Quote