VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having fits trying to get file size down for web images with Photoshop. Is there some other tool that's better than photoshop for making file sizes of images smaller for the web without losing so much quality?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used the Vimas Photoshop plugin for some years now, for optimising JPEGs.

Looking at their site now, I see they have a new product line: Web Image Guru, looks like they have a downloadable demo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you save from photoshop, do you use the Save for Web option ? You have far greater control and less quality loss than the standard File -> Save As option.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alan, thank you I will check that out.
    gun - yes, I've tried the save for web option and played with the settings but it just never comes out at a decent file size while still looking nice. Someone has just advised me I should be using Fireworks instead of photoshop for any type of graphics for the web.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you are trying get very high resolution at very low file sizes, you should not be having this type of problem. What are your targets ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you're right. Maybe I should not be worrying about file size that much. After all, Google Analytics is telling me that barely any of our visitors are using dialup. But then again, there's the other issue about the supposed fact that quick loading web pages and the graphics on them do better with search engine results. I don't know how true that is but it's a consideration.

Here's an example - I have a 418x278 pixel image of a DVD cover and some text, sort of like a banner ad. It's a jpg with file size of 37,507 bytes. I used the save for web option in photo shop and increased the compression to the point that it was just acceptable to me. Is this a good size for a jpg with those dimensions? Is there some guide to go by?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These are from photoshop using save for web. They are 418 x 314, so slightly larger than your images.

Jpeg High at 60%

Jpeg High at 50%

Jpeg High at 30%
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, so at 39k with yours, then mine is probably in line with what it's supposed to be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry - it took a couple of edits to get all three images in the post.

The bottom one weighs in at 20kb
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, 20k is a lot better than what I got, and I can't even see any degradation of quality either. I will have to play with it some more it seems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jpeg is also much better at some images that it is at others. Images with lots of text of high contrast edges don't fare so well. You tend to get lots of mosquito noise along the edges when you push the compression up too high. Shots of guitar necks and strings may well show up edge artifacts much sooner than, say, a portrait. Nature scenes and images with lots of noise tend to hide the compression better.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote