VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have become a (self imposed) Jedi master of "time stretching" audio in Audacity (for example, to make an acappella track fit an instrumental beat). I have seen videos on YouTube where someone will take a "remix" of a song, and edit the video to match, so vocals are in sync, dance moves, etc.

However, I have read & Read & READ forum after forum, searching for a piece of video editing software that will do the same thing, but for the video itself. I have downloaded & tried SEVERAL programs, & spent hours trying to figure out how to make that work.

I read that Sony Vegas (which I like, chopping/cutting of video could be easier) will make video play faster and/or slower, however I am not able to find ANYTHING within the program that actually does that, and the "demo" license runs out before I get a chance. I also read that Ableton Live (which I do not like, goofy interface) has this capability, but thee is NOTHING in there that I can find that lets you edit the video at all. I've tried some other freeware progs I read about here (& elsewhere), tried them. to no avail. They either did not work (would change the tempo of the audio, not the video), or were WAY too complicated for me to figure it out.

IS there a feature in Sony Vegas that will allow me to timestretch video, as easily as it is for audio in Audacity (either using percentages or bpm's)?
    Any other software that is not for pro's only (meaning affordable & somewhat easy to use, no writing code/command lines...)?

Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, there is. It is called a Velocity Envelope, and it is applied at the track level. Like all envelopes it is controlled by points and curves, and can be used to slow a track down, speed it, even make it run in reverse or freeze completely.

There are also other packages, such as retimer, which act as plugins to programs like After Effects.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a set duration audio piece and want to match the video to it? (so you want to change only the video)?

Easiest way is to change the fps of the video. This is only good if it's for PC playback, which can handle different fps and specs. Standalone players have difficulty running out of spec.

Best way to do this is to use avisynth scripts. But you said you don't want to use command/coding.

Most free software editors can do this. The choice of editor will depend on what format and codec your video is in (e.g. XviD in .avi with .mp3 audio, or h.264 video in .mkv with aac audio...etc...) Avidemux will handle most.

Just figure out the fraction that you need. e.g. if you are running PAL @ 25fps originally, if you changed fps to 24, that would shrink the duration and speed the video up by the corresponding fraction.
    Quote Quote  
  4. YES!
    THANK YOU, guns1inger!!
    As Magneto once said: "You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different."
    Ok, well maybe "among VideoHelp members", but Sir Ian would not sound as cool saying that....

Also thank you poisondeathray - I wish I had the time to learn all of those free editors, command line/coding, etc. Unfortunately, when you work your life away, you need something quick & to the point.

The problem was I was using Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which does not have the Velocity Envelope feature (well, only version 8 does not, or so I've read). I had to use the Pro version.

It works pretty good, but takes some time to learn *(I think I've become pretty good at it, and may put up some tips some day. Also, it is not as precise as I would like. You can input percentages, but not into the decimal points (i.e. 117.75% defaults to 118%), which would help to fit video to audio more precisely.

It should also have, for lack of a better term, "lock points", meaning "I only want to timestretch the video selected/from here to there". Instead, it will start to bring in frames/scenes before & after, while "stretching" the video, even if the video is a single "piece" (cut from the rest). Hope that made sense!

ANYwho, some of you may not be into this (House Music, Remixes, et al), but here are the results of my first foray into "real" Video Editing with Vegas Pro (other vids were made on different software) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZKt1eYLfQ

THX :@)
    ~b~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also timestretch audio, and to a much higher degree of accuracy, however it is not interactive or visual, unfortunately. To get perfect sync may require a mixture of the two.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For audio, I use Audacity, and I have it "linked" with Vegas.
    I can merely right-click the video, and choose "Open Copy In Audio Editor" *(for some reason, using ""Open In..." instead of "Copy" amps the volume of the WAV file to unlistenable proportions. Still not sure why...).

There really is nothing better for audio than Audacity, IMHO.
    (Either that, or because it's FREE & I know it like the back of my hand!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Next time you are in Vegas, right-click on an audio track and select Apply Non-Real-Time Event FX, and add Timestretch as an option.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I saw that effect.
    I will try it tomorrow (working on another "remix").
    Thanks again! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  9. So... I tried Timestrectch in Vegas.
    Seemed cool, you can really stretch out things to freakish proportions!
    I didn't use it for very long, though.
    But i do prefer Audacity, only because I know it so well.

ANYwho, here is another completed "video remix",
    using the "Velocity Envelope" function in Sony Vegas.
    It's a country-fried House Music "mash-up" of
    Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton "Islands In The Stream"
    and the Basement Jaxx "Red Alert":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1bkTNVgEw

LOVE me some Vegas! :@)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's a country-fried House Music "mash-up" of
    Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton "Islands In The Stream"
    and the Basement Jaxx "Red Alert":
    House "music"
    No, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's not for everyone. :P

I just put it here to show what Sony Vegas can do.
    Specifically the Velocity Envelope feature.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Another "Velocity Envelope" filled video remix:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfKS1f_alJs

I am showing this one because the "velocity" had to be sped up
    just over 33%, which is a lot for video.
    However, the movement still looks normal (no "Keystone Kops" film here!).

And, yes it is House Music again, so...
    let the puking begin!
    *(Strange comment coming from someone with a "Manga/Anime" avatar...
    Would it have been better as techno/rave music?!?
    "Go, Speed! Go-Go-Go Speed! GO!" tee-hee ;@b )
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    djmoon squawked:

Strange comment coming from someone with a "Manga/Anime" avatar...
    Would it have been better as techno/rave music?!?
    For informing the uninformed, Sumire Hoshino is older than house "music".
    IMNSHO, discothèque and funk songs are infinitely preferable to the sonic garbage
    that was born in the beginning of the 80's. Apparently disco and funk were
    written and performed by people who knew the difference between a C major and
    an A minor :P
    Quote Quote  
  14. In Sony Movie Studio you have to time stretch but first change the original properties to the desired BPM you want say a 90 bpm video set the bpm properties to 130 and then turn on the metronome. The hold down CTL key and place your mouse pointer on the end of the video click and hold.. drag the video while it's playing and match the video sound to the metronome then re-render the file in that Stretched BPM... then edit the video into clips, sections etc and place into the new audio track to make a remix video... complicated but easy, just takes patients.. I just figured this out for myself and was chopping the hell out of videos to make the video match the song.. now I know.. the videos I did on vimeo will be lots better now!

some of my handy work on vimeo user22351243
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only 5 1/2 years late to the party
    Quote Quote