VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since I formatted my hard drive my two hard drives show up as C and D. My DVD player used to be E. It's now I, after the four generic drives E F G and H.
    Everything works fine, I just wondered why this has happened
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows assigns the drive letters automatically, starting with the floppy drives, A and B. The 'C' is usually reserved for the boot drive. Any other hard drives usually come next. Then the optical drives. But the assigned positons, I believe, depend on how long it takes the OS to recognize the drive. Optical are slower at that.

It really makes no difference what letters the OS assigns, though you generally want to keep the boot as 'C'. If you want your DVD drive to be 'E', you can assign that letter by using 'Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management'. Find your optical drive, then R click on it. You will be given the option to change the drive letter. If another device is using the letter you want, you will have to assign that drive to a higher open letter. Then 'E' will then be open and you can change your optical drive to that.

I've had to do this a few times when all my programs were set to look to a specific drive. If you don't have any floppy drives, you can even use A and B most times.
    Quote Quote