VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that I just can't get a good enough capture on enough of my tapes, so it might be that an external TBC would be worth it. Based on what I've read, I want either the AVToolbox AVT-8710 or the Datavideo TBC-1000. Due to the cost of the AVT-8710 being nearly $300 cheaper than the TBC-1000 and having proc-amp? controls (brightness, color, etc), I think I'm going for the AVT-8710. A few questions first though.

1) Both of these are "Full-Frame" TBC's?
    2) Since the AVT-8710 doesn't have audio inputs, could there be audio/video sync issues? If so, I would probably just fix it with software?
    3) Can these be turned off so it's not doing any processing without disconnecting the cables? Minor issue, but would be nice.

Thanks,
    Matthew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Yes.
    2. No. (Therefore "N/A" on the fix part of the question)
    3. No. Unplug it. I unplug the wire from the TBC, not the wall.

Both work well.

The DataVideo went up in price due to supply (apparently), and then it has added benefits such as metal casing, better heat control, and 4 split output that includes audio. It's more than a TBC, it's a split box.

The AVT one works just as well. The proc amp controls are 99% worthless, buy a proc amp if you want proc amp functions in your video setup. As a TBC it works well, but it is a plastic case and it can get overheated after about 5 hours of continuous use (at least in 75-80 indoor temps, under 65-70 indoor temps, it seems fine for about 8-12 hours).

Given the choice, I'd do the AVT-8710 for budget, the TBC-1000 for long-use quality and lifetime durability. As far as the TBC part goes, they're equal.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that lordsmurf. I've already spent a good amount on a VCR so I am definitely on a budget. Therefore, I think I am going to have to risk the AVT. Maybe I can make a stand and put some fans on it. I did see that a used Datavideo went for $200 or so on ebay though.

Again, Thanks for the help,
    Matthew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I sold my DataVideo TBC. I use the AVT-8710 these days, as I don't need to run video as many hours as I once did.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote