VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, i was reading around and found some great info, so this forum is awesome!!!

anyways what im doing is im making my own compilation music video dvd, just basic, like using vob edit to join the vobs, then ifoedit to start it and burning it to dvd. (as seen here https://forum.videohelp.com/topic120021.html)
    and its been going great, mostly. Anyways i havea few vobs of some artists that are in PAL. and some that are in NTSC, and obviosuly i dont want to reencode them because i will lose quality. and im nazi about quality.

so the question is, am i able to have ntsc and pal vobs merged together (like vts_0_0_1 and vts_0_0_2 etc 1gb each) and would they work properly, just like a normal DVD? i dont want to waste alot of dvd's trying and testing it just incase its impossible anyways.

oh btw, i dont want to author it using tmpgenc or anything as well, im only wanting to use the vobedit and ifoedit programs!

thanks guys !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. You have to match resolution and framerate, so you will have to re-encode.

it is possible, although out of spec, to put PAL and NTSC material on the same disc, however they must be in different titlesets. You may also find that it wont play on all machines, especially NTSC machines.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want re-authoring, it is possible to combine full VTS'es from PAL/NTSC DVDs with DVDRemake but you'll need to manually build navigation command system and that needs some experience with the program. As mentioned above, PAL/NTSC material should stay in separate VTS'es (but you can edit out unwanted parts or add titles in the same system and AR). All top menu pages (e.g. in video manager) should be in the same PAL or NTSC system.
    Officially, PAL+NTSC is only supported for double-sided DVDs, so some players may not support mixed DVDs properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ohh man you guys are quick! ok, so ill try putting it in different title sets, im fine with trying it that way. as you said its hard to use dvdremake. so what is the best option, doing it how gunsl1nger said or how alex_ander said (nice name btw, im alex too ;0), im novice ish with all this media stuff, but maybe i can do it...

with the different title sets, do you mean like having certain vobs joined into 1 group that are pal, and then another set jonied that are ntsc, and then put them on the dvd, that way only pal are merged with pal, and only ntsc are merged with ntxc. but to do that...hmm....
    would it mean getting two of the vts_0_0_01 files or?

maybe its possible having like a 800mb group called vts_0_0_01 for pal, and then mix the ntsc ones for vts_0_0_02, is that possible, so 'each' vob is a different format, so they arent literally joined, does that make sense lol?

vts_0_0_1 1gb are all pal
    vts_0_0_2 800mb are pal
    vts_0_0_3 1gb are all NTSC
    vts_0_0_4 500mb are NTSC

is that possible?

or would i have to have to do it like this
    vts_0_0_1 1gb are all pal
    vts_0_0_2 800mb are pal
    vts_0_0_1 1gb are all ntsc
    vts_0_0_2 700mb are ntsc

btw, my dvd player is good, it can play pal and ntsc, all region, its a dvd recorder. so i think its good. although my older one could just play mpg and vob files like a computer did, but its rare finding dvd players that can do that now .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Frankly, I wouldn't try joining the vobs at all. There are just too man ways for it to go wrong. Use VOB2MPG to get the mpeg content out of the VOBs, then author a new disc. GUIForDVDAuthor should let you mix formats. DVD Lab Pro will, if you turn off compliance checking. Don't know if DVD Styler will.

You can't just throw Vobs in the pot and get a DVD. It doesn't work like that. The authoring process is more complicated than just a numbering system.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ohh ok, ill have a look into it all

btw, do you know of any other program that can author a dvd, but doesnt encode the vobs, like i want to keep everything jsut like it is using ifoedit and vobedit, but that causes problems with chapters. so is there any program that can let you do what vobedit and ifoedit does and inputs chapters but wont encode everything, no matter the cost of it. because everything so far has to encode it all... like tmpgenc dvd author. like if i put in the merged vobs using vobedit, is there a program that can handle those and let me do the chapters manually and create the ifo's etc and then i could burn the dvd using dvd decrypter like normal.

EDIT: Wouldnt DVDShrink let me join 2 sets of DVDs, 1 being pal, the other ntsc? possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink probably will, however you have to have the full DVD structure, not just a folder full of VOBs. All the apps I mentioned in my previous post will work with your footage without re-encoding. They will work best with demuxed elementary streams, but they will not re-encode while authoring.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ohh ok, ill try that!

i will set up the vobs using vobedit, ill get the structure using ifoedit, then ill join both using dvdshrink. yay. hope it works.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so i joined pal and ntsc on the same dvd, like just by joining vobs normally. nad it works but not well.... like, i had a ntsc dvd with a pal vob, and it was juddery, but you could hear it alright. ;o just letting you know ;o
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your player has set itself to whatever format the first VOB was (PAL or NTSC) and played through at that framerate, hence the juddering. Some players will do this, some will simply baulk when they hit the join. You don't have a legitimate DVD Video working this way, so you cannot expect decent playback or consistent playback. Just bare this in mind.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I'd demux the elementary streams from the original VOBs to get video (m2v) and audio (probably ac3) files.
    You can do that with Rejig, PGCdemux, DVDshrink, many other tools.

Then reauthor, using GuiForDVDauthor, which lets me create a nice menu. It will allow you to include both NTSC and PAL on the same DVD, though it will issue a warning. It seems most players that can play PAL can handle NTSC or mixed discs. GfD puts each title in a separate VOB.

I think this is a lot less work and less fiddly than hacking VOB files together, and more likely to give you a good playable disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ramrod1234
    ... like, i had a ntsc dvd with a pal vob...
    (in case the reason is not in your standalone and you even get problems in a software player; hope you don't mean joining PAL/NTSC VOBs.)

Some authoring applications keep PAL or NTSC setting for the whole project. E.g. so does DVDLab, it allows for PAL+NTSC, but people report problems with menu highlights in VTSs having content in non-project TV system. Maybe in your case you have NTSC output settings for a VTS with PAL material. DVDRemake is free from such a problem, if you work with IfoEdit and understand DVD structure and commands, DVDRemake would be easy for you to start working with. You can copy a complete VTS from other DVD project, register its titles in video manager and set playback order using post- and pre- commands (in title PGCs and VMG menu PGCs correspondingly).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote