VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, just ordered my htpc now i need to find a remote, i've seen there's a lot of remote available, what you guys recommend? Easy, last long, useful buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've used a Sony RM-AV2500 for a couple of years and it controls about everything. It's discontinued now. It has a touch screen you can program to your preference. It can also learn commands from your existing remotes. The downside, it's big. But if you want to replace a lot of remotes, this type of universal remote may be what you are looking for.

If you just need a remote for your HTPC, then it may be a bit easier. A learning or programmable remote may be the best choice. It may be a bit hard to set up initially, but you can customize it to exactly your needs.

One site for remotes that I've found useful: http://www.remotecentral.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hehe, i forgot to add, a cheap remote please

Thanks for the website though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hehe, i've seen that one, weird knob. Nice site, will look around.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty like that model the soundgraph, trying to find place that sells it in canada is hard though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So is this HTPC coming with MCE or what? I built my own, with hybrid tuner, and just run a PVR program on top of XPpro. Maybe a basic MCE style remote would be okay, like a SnapStream FireFly, for instance? More choices here:

http://www.pcalchemy.com/index.php/cName/remote-controls?osCsid=b24d2ea5701953b7d473f85197f5dde0

You might be interested in the SoundGraph Ultrabay, if you have an external bay free. Kinda like having old-style TV/radio controls available as well. Anyway, the iMon is reasonably easy to program, you can switch to the mini-mouse pad if you like, although like all such compromises it's not gunna replace a regular mouse.

I wish I could be of more help, it doesn't seem like this is a very big market (yet). Dunno about what your options are up there in the Great White North.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The iMon Ultrabay takes up 2 x 5.25" external bays. In an HTPC case that might be a problem...the iMon VFD uses the same IR remote control, has a 2 line x 16 character display, a volume/mute knob and it only occupies 1 5.25" bay. It costs less too

http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/imon25.aspx

I feel that the best feature of these products is the power button. You plug your power switch into the iMon and the iMon plugs into the power switch header on your motherboard. You can turn your computer on and off using the remote...I also like the fact that the remote is IR and not RF. You can always use any unified, programable IR remote with it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still don't know about mce or sagetv.. i do like mymovies extension, which might do it.

unfortunatly pcalchemy don't ship to canada and i don't have a 5.25 bay

buy.com canada as the firefly remote for 45cdn all included, very tempting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WildParadise
    unfortunatly pcalchemy don't ship to canada and i don't have a 5.25 bay
    None? What case are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got 2 but only the cd tray is accessible. Silverstone lc17 black:
    http://www.thinkcomputers.org/beta/home.php?x=reviews&id=244&page=2
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LC17 has 2 x 5.25" external drive bays...at least the ones I've seen.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this big knob that stick out of the box won't pass thru the cd tray, you don't have the full 5.25 slot you only have the cd tray accessible, check the link.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, I forgot that they don't give you real external bays, just optical drive doors and the buttons. The LC16M has the iMon VFD built in but that won't help you. Guess your stuck with just the remote then. Just get something like this:

http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/imon21.aspx?topMenu=2&subMenu=1&leftMenu=21
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally i ordered firefly remote from buy.com, didn't want to get raped by the costums on soundgraph order.

Thanks for the infos everyone!
    Quote Quote