VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the instructions that I printed out to get into the service menu and changed the width and height of the Toshiba and now it looks like it should.

Now if Philips will answer my e-mail and tell me how to flash the firmware back to factory so I can use my external enclosure again, I'll be back in business.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got tired of waiting for an e-mail from Philips (half hour my azz) and returned the player for another DVP5990. USB seems to work alright so far.
    Quote Quote  
  3. lol .did u really believe them when they told 1/2 hour?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most websites send a verification e-mail in minutes letting you know they received your e-mail and giving you a timeframe in which to receive an answer. I haven't dealt with Philips support before and had no reason to believe that they would not keep their word. Two days have passed and I haven't heard anything from them. I guess they have millions to answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My son made a short trip to northern NY and picked up a 5990 for me. For Canadians waiting for this player take heart it must be coming soon. The box was tagged imported for Canada and the USA from HK and all info is english on one side and french on the other. The manual for both models which are the same except for colour (5990 black and 5992 silver) is written in english and french. They wouldn't do this just for the USA.

I gave it a quick run and it played pressed dvd, burned dvd, DVDR/RW+ divx I had on hand for my dvp-642 with no problems at all. It even played in sync a clip that had serious lag issues in my dvp-642. I tried the usb and it's definetely usb 2.0, it plays mpeg4 / xvid/divx and wmv from disc or usb stick.

I tried my usb flash card reader by putting video and pics on a sd card and plugging the reader into the usb port of the 5990 . It worked without a hitch. Video and pics play excellent. That's an unexpected bonus.

This thing will even take an audio disc and convert it to mp3 for you. You put an audio disc in the drive and plug in a usb stick. Hit the remote button marked "create mp3" and follow the prompts to select individual track or all tracks either fast or normal mode. Then chose the bitrate by pressing the "ok" button and then "start" and that's it. The mp3 write to the usb stick.

It displays 14 characters in the filename and according to the manual (untested by me) files must be named properly. wmv must have a ".wmv" extension. Divx must have ".avi", .mpg or .mp4 extensions. Jpeg images must have an extension of .jpg and not .jpeg.

I didn't need to use it but it also has a lip sync option in case there is lag in one of your videos.

This player support GMC and QPel but since my old player the dvp-642 didn't like GMC or QPel I have no content to test those features nor do I have any divx content with Divx Ultra menus so that will have to wait for a later time.

There's a lot more to try before a final conclusion but overall I'm very pleased.

Anyway my quick assessment is that this player is worth the money and does exactly what it says and more. It was $57.99 plus 7% NY state tax at Wallmart. I couldn't get that here when they become available for less than $90 to $99 which is what they are selling the older 5982.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Divx must have ".avi",
    That's what the manual says but I have a folder full of files with the .divx extension and they play fine except for a couple with HD resolution. Not sure what I did with the .divx files with the menu. I'll have to see if I can find another download to see if they play.
    Quote Quote  
  7. One thing to be aware of. I have a 5990 and I was leaving a 40 Gb Laptop drive plugged in. The USB port keeps supplying power to the drive even when teh unit is off. So to avoid wear and tear on the drive I now unplug it when I'm done with it. Of course this has the problem of transferring the wear and tear to the USB port hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now if Philips will answer my e-mail and tell me how to flash the firmware back to factory so I can use my external enclosure again, I'll be back in business.
    Well, 10 days later and I finally got the e-mail from Philips telling me to call a 1-800 number so I can talk to an interactive voice responce unit. Good thing I didn't wait to return the unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just picked up a 5992 at Costco in Lake Zurich, IL. It was $50 (w/o tax) and they had a palette full of them.

Mainly picked it up because it plays WMV and the USB 2 feature. The WMVs that I created a while back (not sure which version of WMV) run fine, they're all in standard mode and fast fowarding runs smoothly at 2x and 4x speeds, anything higher and the unit can't seem to decode fast enough that it almost looks like anything FF at 8x and above seems to be FFing slower than 2x speed. This was the result of the file being on DVD or going through the USB port.

The region hack for the other Phillips unit worked fine and plays my Anime DVDs no problem.

A small gripe though, and maybe it's only because I'm viewing this through one of the oldest Widescreen SD televisions on Earth and using the composite cable, but any pictures I view puts them in an aspect ratio like the TV was 4:3 instead of the setting of 16:9 that I have the player on. Do ppl get the same result on their HD sets with HDMI or the component inputs? I rarely view pics on my TV, but it would be nice if they adjusted the aspect ratio so ppl in the pics aren't squashed.

And reading the posts above, I'm kinda fuzzy on what's going on, can the unit read a DVD file structure from the USB, or is everyone just ripping and converting to AVI or MPG?
    "*sigh* Warned you, we tried. Listen, you did not. Now SCREWED, we all will be!" ~Yoda
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can't speak for others but in my case I only played wmv9 and avi (divx) from the usb. My largest thumb is 2gb so don't have dvd content that small to test a dvd structure on usb. Maybe someone else tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. This post https://forum.videohelp.com/topic349792.html#1861081 sounds like he is playing DVD rips (VIDEO_TS folders) off the USB port.
    I'm playing the movies in DVD format (VTS) from my hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I put a DVD folder on my external drive and although it played the movie, I couldn't choose anything from the menu. It showed the menu but the arrow buttons would not do anything and after about ten seconds, the movie started. Also, everytime it came to the next VOB, it acted like it would if it was burned to bad media.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For those looking to sort their files alphabetically through USB, there's another freeware program called FATsort. Its just as good if not better than foldersort, which is now unavailable.

Check it out here!.

http://hem.passagen.se/chsw/fatsort/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    V34

Fixed: Auto recovery when HDMI video is lost

Looks like there's a new user manual too

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?scy=HU&slg=HUN&mid=Link_Softwar...12_fur_eng.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    V34

Fixed: Auto recovery when HDMI video is lost

Looks like there's a new user manual too

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?scy=HU&slg=HUN&mid=Link_Softwar...12_fur_eng.pdf
    Shadow Cruiser, the firmware and manual you are linking to is for the DVP5990_12, which is the European model. The firmware I was linking to is for the DVP5990/5992_37, which is the US model.

Changes in European Firmware For Models:
    DVP5990/05
    DVP5990/12
    Version Description
    V31 Improvement on USB playback interoperability
    V34 Auto recovery when HDMI video is lost

Changes in US Firmware For Models:
    DVP5990/37
    DVP5992/37
    DVP5990K/55
    DVP5990K/75
    DVP5996K/51
    DVP5996K/94
    DVP5996K/96
    Version Description
    V27 Improvement on USB playback interoperability
    V31 Auto recovery when HDMI video is lost

Appears that the European firmware is a version ahead, but offers the same fix in the upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 5992 is on sale now over at Costco for a $10 off Instant Rebate, bringing it down to $40 (w/o tax). Sale ends August 3rd.
    "*sigh* Warned you, we tried. Listen, you did not. Now SCREWED, we all will be!" ~Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I realized that FatSort only works under Windows 2000. So after some extensive searching (2 hours!), I finally found FolderSort. You wouldn't believe how many dead links I went through. Here it is for the rest of you folks

http://rapidshare.com/files/134185410/FolderSort.zip.html
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    I realized that FatSort only works under Windows 2000. So after some extensive searching (2 hours!), I finally found FolderSort. You wouldn't believe how many dead links I went through. Here it is for the rest of you folks

http://rapidshare.com/files/134185410/FolderSort.zip.html

Works good. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another good sorter is a free program called Drivesort. I've been using it to sort USB files for my 5990. It's free and works well with FAT32. It's pretty current (last version May 2008) and works well under Vista. It has several options for arranging folders, and supports long-file-name sorting, so if you're taking advantage of the 14-character filenames that the 5990/5992 allows on USB, they're properly sorted (Foldersort may do this, too, I don't know since I haven't tried it, so I thought I'd mention this program as another option).

I've only used it with 8GB thumb-drives, so can't vouch for it on big hard drives. Drivesort is at:

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm planning to get this player to replace my DVP5982 after I heard that high bitrate videos are playable. Before purchasing since it will be an ordeal considering I'm in Canada, I want to ask if someone can test this XviD file out for me?.

The segment of avi is the highest bitrate video I have in my collection and is too choppy on my player. Can someone please test this and report back if there's any choppyness whatsoever?

WARNING: The segment of avi is a fast action blood splattering scene from the movie Rambo 4. I wish I didn't have to upload this sample but its the one with the highest bitrate. Just remember if you find blood and guts a turn off, please don't download

www.portabellos.ca/download/Rambo.avi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This clip plays fine (video and audio) from a usb flash drive on the dvp-5990. No skips no jumps etc..

I didn't look up the specs for the dvp-5982 but my dvp-642 chokes on Qpel and PacketBitSteams and possibly bi-directionally predicted frames (BVOP), although I'm not sure of this last one. This clip has all 3.

Your clip is progressive at 3788 Kpbs so it should play in your 5982. It would play in my dvp-642 if not for the Qpel and packed streams. I used to capture progressive divx/xvid video at 3500Kpbs and higher but not if I want interlaced. In that case I don't go over 2000 to 2200 Kbps or things can get choppy.

To check the video/audio specs play the video with Kmplayer, right click and select "media info". It provides a pretty complete picture of the file specs. Gspot is good but not as complete as Kmplayer.

If you want to prove that it's not the bitrate just re-encode it to a simple profile as progressive using the same bitrate and try it again. On the other hand if you were testing the usb port and it behaved the same way after re-encode then the problem could point to the usb 1.1 port of the 5982 versus the usb 2.0 of the 5990/92 but I'm not convinced that this is the problem. It's more likely the encoding profile rather than the bitrate or the usb port.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The Rambo clip was jerky (but not horribly so, no audio glitches) on my DVP-5960 (USB 1.1 only) when played from a USB thumb drive. It played OK from a DVD+RW disc.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gll99 - Thank you very much for the informative post. The high bitrate is definitely the problem. I've tried some clips with no Qpel,BVOP and PackedBitStream and high bitrate and its very choppy. On the other hand, a clip with all 3 and low bitrate plays very smooth.

Seeing as your Canadian, where did you buy the 5990 from?.

There are so many clips I have of high bitrate that I want to watch but can't do to this player
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any new mod firmware update for 5990/37
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bala2006,

As ytsejam posted above, version 31 came out last month. Change log:

Version Description
    V27 Improvement on USB playback interoperability
    V31 Auto recovery when HDMI video is lost

Upgrade went very smooth using a flash thumb drive. Instructions are in the PDF.

It's at:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=ENG&cat=DVD_HOME_THEATER_CA&s...=Link_Software
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the quick reply.
    Bala
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @shadow_cruiser

My son picked up the 5990 for me at Wallmart in Massena NY. They went shopping for the day so it was just one more item to pick up. At $59.99 + NY state tax of 7% + Wallmart's difference in currency rate at .94 cents on the dollar but it was still cheaper than the price in town for the older 5982.

I just built a new pc, so can do much better captures without jitter or dropping frames. I captured some video from cable sd source using the divx pro 6.x codec, 640x480 and 720x480 interlaced clips at 3000kbs and 3500kbs with the audio as mp3, 128, 44100. The video and audio played flawlessly from my 2gb Verbatim (Stor and Go) thumb flash drive. I have yet burned new higher bitrate material to cd or dvd so can't comment on those. I think I'll probably stick with 3000 kbs or even slightly less in future because there seems to be no difference in upping the rate and it's rock solid.

One caution, if you use ffdshow (or ffmpeg or mencoder) for generic mpeg4 encoding it defaults the fourcc to something like FMP4 (can't recall exactly) so you have to use the option to force the fourcc to something like DX50 (my default) or xvid or the player will play the audio but won't play the video.

To those who still wonder about playing DVD's from flash drives. It doesn't play them. It recognizes the vob's and plays those. The vob menus play right though like ordinary mpg video does but the ifo files are not recognized or used so that shoots down that idea. It's no great loss for me because it's not a feature I expected nor particularly need.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by gll99
    I captured some video from cable sd source using the divx pro 6.x codec, 640x480 and 720x480 interlaced clips at 3000kbs and 3500kbs with the audio as mp3, 128, 44100. The video and audio played flawlessly from my 2gb Verbatim (Stor and Go) thumb flash drive. I have yet burned new higher bitrate material to cd or dvd so can't comment on those. I think I'll probably stick with 3000 kbs or even slightly less in future because there seems to be no difference in upping the rate and it's rock solid.
    Why not just switch to "1-pass quality based" encoding with a quantizer (inverse of quality) you're happy with. The recordings will come out with whatever bitrate is necessary for the quality you specify. A video with little motion and noise will come out with a low bitrate. A video with lots of motion and noise will come out with a higher bitrate. Both will have the same quality and you won't have wasted any bitrate.

Divx will also obey the currently selected profile setting. If the bitrate at the selected quantizer is too high for the profile, it will automatically switch to a higher quantizer (on a dynamic basis). The Home Theater profile limits bitrate peaks to about 4800 kbps. Xvid on the other hand ignores the profile when using Target Quantizer mode and just encodes with the selected quantizer. This can lead to big bitrate peaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo

Your point is well taken. Up til now I had to go with what was guaranteed to work with my Philips dvp-642 and my old p4 1.6 which has severe problems with the cpu spiking at 100% when I deviate from what I know works. I've just put together a new pc and I'm testing different methods now to see what works best with that system and also the new Phiips dvp-5990.

The Philips:

More good new. The 2gb barrier is gone on DVD media. I can't test it on usb because my flash drives are only 2gb. I captured a video at 2.6gb and played it right to the end without issue. I tested the same disc on my older 642 and the video plays until it reaches the 2gb barrier and then it stops. This proves that the 2gb barrier is gone. I'll try a 4gb+ to see if it chokes on that.

Just for the halibut I tried an extreme setting. I captured a few minutes of video using 720:480 framesize (capture card limitation) with the divx pro encoder, I chose the 1080p profile and a bitrate of 8000kbps interlaced/top field first. Kmplayer reports the output video as 7981kbps. The audio was set as mp3 128, 44100.

The file played excellent on the usb thumb with no skips. Anyone worried about bitrate shouldn't be. This player may not play hd framesizes (untested by me) but it seems to have no problems with the bitrate.
    Quote Quote