VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I recently recorded my daughters school concert using a Sony TRV 730 Digital Camcorder. The video is recorded on Hi8 cassette.

I have been trying to capture this video on laptop via Firewire. I used Windows Media Maker and Nero Vision. The video looks ok, but the sound is choppy. It probably is playing so fast....

What can I do to correct this situation?

thanks in advance...

Manny
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you use WMM to capture? If so, what do you then do with the captured DV file? Do you do anything with the videos in WMM and then export? By default, WMM exports WMV files which aren't the same as the original.

Try playing the original DV AVI files captured by WMM with Windows Media Player to see if they playback with the same problem.

Regretfully, Nero video-related apps can be problematic.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    John,

thanks for the reply.

After the capture, I didn't do anything specifically with the file in WMM...I just sent ahead and and tried to play the avi file using VLC and NeroPlayer...both exhibited the same problems.

I will try playing with WMP and see what happens.

thanks - MN
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you use 12 bit or 16 bit sound when filming ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NoBuddy,

I am not sure which I used -- I used the Camcorder with its default settings. How do I check which is used?

thanks - MN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MannyNoela
    NoBuddy,

I am not sure which I used -- I used the Camcorder with its default settings. How do I check which is used?

thanks - MN
    In the Camcorder's menu look under Tape Set>Audio Mode, I believe the default is 12 bit though. Have a look at this link http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Issues-Audio.html it looks like the 12-Bit audio is probably the problem.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks very much. I checked and indeed it is 12-bit (i changed it to 16-bit though --- is it preferable).

However, the problem is noticeable not only in WMM but also when I recorded with Nero.

Is it applicable to Nero too? I would try and capture the video again and see what happens.

thanks - MN
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try sending the captured DV file back to your camcorder and see if it is jerky etc.

If it is, then the file is the problem (perhaps dropped frames).
    If not, then your computer is the problem.

Another way to check is to look at the timecode in the captured file. It should be continuous. If there are dropped frames, it will be not. You can use our software (link in signature) to open the file and look at the timecode as you play the file.

BTW, 16-bit is definitely preferable.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria

Try sending the captured DV file back to your camcorder and see if it is jerky etc.

Another way to check is to look at the timecode in the captured file. It should be continuous. If there are dropped frames, it will be not. You can use our software (link in signature) to open the file and look at the timecode as you play the file.

Thanks. When you say "Try sending the captured DV file back to your camcorder and see if it is jerky etc" - I suppose you meant try playing it on the camcorder - right? Or did you mean I should record it back on to the camcorder?

Secondly, there are two software in the signature -- which is preferable. I can download both, LOL...but just wondering?

thanks - MN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try upsampling the audio to 16-bit 48khz using VirtualDub, and see if the resulting file works OK in WMM.

After opening in VirtualDub, go to the Audio menu and select Full Processing Mode. Go back to the Audio menu and choose Compression - make sure that No compression (PCM) is selected. From the Audio menu again, choose Conversion and set the Sampling Rate to 48000Hz, and the precision to 16-bit, leave as stereo.

Now go to the Video menu and select Direct Stream copy. Then under the File menu choose Save as AVI and save to your hard drive. This should give you a DV AVI with 16-bit audio, the video will be unchanged.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by MannyNoela
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria

Try sending the captured DV file back to your camcorder and see if it is jerky etc.

Thanks. When you say "Try sending the captured DV file back to your camcorder and see if it is jerky etc" - I suppose you meant try playing it on the camcorder - right? Or did you mean I should record it back on to the camcorder?

Secondly, there are two software in the signature -- which is preferable. I can download both, LOL...but just wondering?

thanks - MN

I meant just send it back over FireWire and see how the camcorder deals with it either on its built-in display and speakers or via the analog outputs to a TV. No need to record onto tape.

Re software, the DV processor is the more useful of the two for this.
    Quote Quote