VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a lacie 16x dual layer burner.
    I am still somewhat new at burning and have a lacie external burner. the burner is about a year old and i have burnt about 100 dvd's or so. i got a new power cord from lacie as i began to have problems with the burner, now after 3 new burnt disks, having problems with verifing disks. i have no clue what i'm doing to be honest. any help? here is what i'm getting....

miscompare at LBA 218302, offset 768, file: VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

device 0x0C
    image file 0xF3

total errors in sector: 16

i understand what it's telling me, but i have no clue what to do from here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What brand of discs are you using? That's usually the difference between success and sometimes success/sometimes failure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My old NEC always burned perfectly - never a coaster - and never, ever, passed a verification test. Didn't matter what media I used or what speed I burned at. Those discs still play today, and some are a good 5 years old. It would even fail a test on a simple text file with known content. I could always read the file and see the content was that same as the source, but a verification test would always fail.

Ever since then I have put very little stock in the value of verification tests as there are too many extraneous factors to make them reliable.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help to all.
    i have found that even without the verification the dvd still plays just fine.
    if my pc doesn't have enough power to supply the dvd burner, would this make the dvd burner mess up the verify?
    also, i have tried a different power source for the dvd burner once and it worked with the verify for 3 dvd's, then quit verifing them.

i have an older hp unit with a brand new cpu and motherboard. if i bought a new burner, will my pc being older affect the new burner?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For just burning, just about any PC will work, as long as the internal power supply is in good shape. Encoding or other CPU intensive operations are where slower computers may have some limitations in speed. But for just burning DVDs, they should still work fine, even with the newest burners. I would always opt for a internal DVD burner compared to a external box using USB. Just less potential problems.

I would also recommend using quality DVD media as it only costs a few pennies more than some cheaper brands that may give you problems.

And a weak power supply can cause problems with burning, but shouldn't have much affect on verifying as that uses less power than a burn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I had an old nec burner that wouldn't verify very many discs as well and I found out that I was using poor media at the time. The problem being that the disc won't verify correctly won't affect the playback of the dvd it's when/if you should ever try and re-copy it. Try this.... Take one of your discs that didn't verify correctly ,but, that plays okay in your dvd player, then take that disc and try and re-copy it using whatever copy program you use. You'll find that your burner most likely wont be able to read the disc to "import" your dvd back onto your PC for a re-copy. That can be a problem in the future. I have a couple of dvds of my children I made while they were little and copied it onto bad media and thought the same about 'oh well if it doesn't verify, it still plays fine'. I learned a hard lesson about this because those discs won't read correctly on ANY of the disc drives I've tried, And unfortunately I am stuck with treating them like gold.

Just my 2 cents about the subject but if the content on the discs are of some type of value I certainly would verify those discs to avoid any future problems.

-PB
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks a ton for all the good info.
    if i purchase an internal burner, will any type of burner work? i mean, will they all hook up the same way? i believe that this might be my problem as i have a usb cable hook up right now on an external drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just two main types, PATA and SATA. With a older PC, PATA (IDE) is probably all that's available. Newer burners require a 80 conductor PATA cable, the same as a hard drive. If you are replacing a burner, make sure you set the rear jumpers the same as the old burner, either Master or Slave most times. Two popular brands of burners at present are Pioneer and Samsung. You should be able to find either for less than $30US.

Most times, it should be just plug and play. I wouldn't use any software that comes with the drive unless you really need it. Most is unnecessary. You probably just need a Phillips screwdriver to make the change, depending on the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you redwudz. i really appreciate the help.
    Quote Quote