VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    When I see people driving VWs (I call them Hitlermobiles) with flowers in the dashboard (WTF), I think Apple Brigade.
    Hehe. I like your verbage - I call them Aushewitzmobiles. There is a yellow one down the road from me. It always has a fresh flower in the little dashboard vase. I figured it had to be a twenty something prep-school cheerleader who's daddy bought it for her...nope, some dude. I bet he owns an Apple Macintosh too.

Search Comp PM
    Strudelwagons?

(Pronounced SHTROO-del-vah-guns)
    I hate VHS. I always did.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by ffooky
    Look, you can say what you like about Hitler but those Beetles sure were cute cars.
    Designed by Ferdinand Porsche no less.
    http://people.westminstercollege.edu/staff/bknorr/html/history.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Anton_Ernst_Porsche
    Dr. Ferdinand Porsche (pronounced "portia") was a designer and businessman who's company won a contract to build one of Adolf Hitler's dreams: the peoples car. The design was later the basis for the 3 series of Porsche branded speedsters (what James Dean died in) that evolved into the long living 9 series. After WWII the peoples car was rebranded with the much less Nazi oriented name of the VW Beatle. Nazi Germany's military jeep was also rebranded and sold in the 1970's as the VW Thing. Like many German companies of that era with government contracts Volkswagen utilized slave labour and had direct liasons to the Nazi party and the Gestapo. It was not until recently that Volkswagen would acknowledge their involvment and activities during that period of history.

Search Comp PM
    C'mon Guys,

Strudelwagons....amusing, Hitlermobiles....not quite so, Auschwitzmobiles...Now that's just offensive.

This is a little ridiculous, a Mac vs. Windows thread with references to Hiroshima, (in a related thread) Hitler, and Auschwitz? Time to take a few Valium I think...

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful --- otherwise sooner or later some Europeans
    will start talking about YankeeMobiles and RedneckWagons...

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Be careful --- otherwise sooner or later some Europeans
    will start talking about YankeeMobiles and RedneckWagons...
    I assumed they already did

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GMaq
    Strudelwagons....amusing, Hitlermobiles....not quite so, Auschwitzmobiles...Now that's just offensive.
    Why is that offensive? Explain your position.

Please take the time to study and understand what Dr. Porsche and Volkswagen's role was in Nazi Germany during WWII.

Search Comp PM
    It was the US Army that got the post war VW plant up and running. Germany then needed employment, cars and exports. The story of Volkswagen is interesting throughout. Dr. Porsche was not a Nazi but had to work with them to see his pre-Nazi dream come true. It was his son that started the Porsche line also with US Gov't post war support.

PS: After reviewing VW history, the US Army turned the VW plant over to the British Army and the rebirth of Volkswagen is largely credited to British Major Ivan Hirst who secured orders from the occupation armies and the German post office to get the plant going. All major auto companies rejected VW when offered. The story is documented in books plus a good factual summary is found in Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen#Origins_in_1930s_Germany
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Video Head

Please take the time to study and understand what Dr. Porsche and Volkswagen's role was in Nazi Germany during WWII.
    OK,

While I am well aware of the connection between Hitler and Volkswagen, I find the mention of unspeakable atrocities like Auschwitz, Hiroshima (and Nagasaki) in a thread about something as esoteric as Computer Operating Systems to be overkill to the point of being offensive, that is just my opinion, this is obviously a free forum to say as you like (until a mod intervenes which Yoda already did). I don't really have a "position" just an opinion, I find these ham-fisted overwrought historical references to be in poor taste.

Now back to the Microsoft vs. Apple Melee!

10. Member
    Search Comp PM

OK,

While I am well aware of the connection between Hitler and Volkswagen, I find the mention of unspeakable atrocities like Auschwitz, Hiroshima (and Nagasaki) in a thread about something as esoteric as Computer Operating Systems to be overkill to the point of being offensive, that is just my opinion, this is obviously a free forum to say as you like (until a mod intervenes which Yoda already did). I don't really have a "position" just an opinion, I find these ham-fisted overwrought historical references to be in poor taste.

Although I completely disagree with just about everything you state in your reply, I do agree with you that this is a video forum and that the thread should continue with the Mac is an inferior product when compared to a PC direction :P

Search Comp PM
    here i'll make fun of my kin here in NH-

Lawyer and Farmer

A big-city, Boston lawyer went duck hunting in rural New Hampshire.
    He shot and dropped a bird, but it fell into a farmers field on the
    other side of a fence.

As the lawyer climbed over the fence, an elderly farmer drove up on
    his tractor and asked him what he was doing.

The litigator responded, I shot a duck and it fell in this field, and
    now I'm going into retrieve it.

The old farmer replied. This is my property, and you are not coming
    over here. The indignant lawyer said, I am one of the best trial
    attorneys in Boston and, if you don't let me get that duck, I'll sue
    you and take everything you own.

The old farmer smiled and said, Apparently, you don't know how we do
    things in New Hampshire. We settle small disagreements like this with
    the Three-Kick Rule.

The lawyer asked, What is the Three-Kick Rule?

The Farmer replied. Well, first I kick you three times and then you
    kick me three times, and so on, back and forth, until someone gives
    up.

The attorney quickly thought about the proposed contest and decided
    that he could easily take the old codger. He agreed to abide by the
    local custom.

The old farmer slowly climbed down from the tractor and walked up to
    the city feller. His first kick planted the toe of his heavy work boot
    into the lawyers groin and dropped him to his knees. His second kick
    nearly wiped the man's nose off his face. The barrister was flat on
    his belly when the farmers third kick to a kidney nearly caused him
    to pass out.

The lawyer summoned every bit of his will and managed to get to his
    feet and said, Okay, you old coot now it's my turn.

The old farmer smiled and said, Naw, I give up. You can have the
    duck.

tastier? sorry i couldn't come up with apple/pc one tonight.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303

12. Originally Posted by GMaq
    C'mon Guys,

This is a little ridiculous, a Mac vs. Windows thread with references to Hiroshima, (in a related thread) Hitler, and Auschwitz? Time to take a few Valium I think...
    For the advertising part, it is relevant.

Modern advertising and politics - both designed to manipulate the masses - stem directly from Goebbels. The I'm a Mac... commercials have direct though sublime parallels with the earlier 1930's Hitler Youth films. A fit, young and confident Aryan boy vs. an old, unfit, bumbling - almost cretinous <insert persecuted group member here>. Just go back a read the statement earlier about how "brilliant" the Apple commercials are. Indeed they are. But they aren't original (what from Apple is?)

I'm not being flippant - it's how modern advertising works. Thankfully, I'm immune to it and modern political propaganda.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Mac Mini makes an awesome home theater machine. I use it for iPhoto, iTunes, some games (like Dance Dance Revolution), and GarageBand. The FrontRow interface is way better and easier for the family to use than the Windows Media Center alternative. There's simply no PC alternative which packs so much into so small/quiet/low-power a package with this level of quality and support.

14. Originally Posted by narquespamley
    so small/quiet/low-power a package
    Aren't those rather irrelevant as part of a home theater? Isn't your home theater large and loud?

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing else in my rack makes significant noise (the hard drive in the satellite DVR is otherwise the worst offender). If there was significant fan noise, yes it would be bothersome. What's the point of spending so much money on a nice amp and speakers if you have to listen to a Vista-bloat cooler in the process?

Search Comp PM
    ?
    you've got the same cpu/motherboard in your mini-mac as a vista computer. so it's either got fans or will die a nasty death like the original macs did.....
    --

17. Originally Posted by narquespamley
    Nothing else in my rack makes significant noise (the hard drive in the satellite DVR is otherwise the worst offender). If there was significant fan noise, yes it would be bothersome. What's the point of spending so much money on a nice amp and speakers if you have to listen to a Vista-bloat cooler in the process?
    I'd would have thought that the whole point of the home theater was to listen to music/soundtracks at a fairly hefty clip which would more than drown out the noise from a fan.

I know when I've got my amp cranked up that I can't hear any mechanical noises from anything nor my wife bellowing at me.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any money on amp and speakers only to end up listening to mp3 cr@p. I've yet to hear anything in mp3 that doesn't have some obvious artifacts.

Search Comp PM
    What I'm seeing in the community that I live in, which in my humble opinion is very high tech, is that the older folks like me use PCs at work and home. Most of these folks know a lot and do a lot with computer hardware and software. However, their high school and college age children, and even their spouses, want/get MACs. The kids want MACs because they're cool, compared to the old foggy PCs, and that's what their classmates use. Also, those are the machines you'll see at the coffee houses. Apparently, the MAC & PC commercials, which by the way I think are very funny, are working.

Search Comp PM
    Really? 3 pages still on this "why would anyone get......"

I mean this could just as easily be:
    Why would anyone be a Democrat:
    Why would anyone be a Catholic:
    Why would anyone drink Coke over Pepsi:
    Why would anyone drive a Ford:
    Why would anyone blah, blah, blah....

I'll tell you why I use a Mac. Because I tried both and I like one better.

Search Comp PM
    well macdsl - it was getting late on friday night and i was a little bored - no one was looking for any video help you see and i just thought everyone could use a little humorous thread to play in. it could very well have been one of your other suggestions, but someone had just upped another thread about macs and it kindled a spark.....
    --

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MacDSL wrote:

You'd better not insinuate this thread is pointless,
    otherwise Mr. Bad Airs may insinuate you're a troll. ^_~

Search Comp PM
    ...this is obviously a free forum to say as you like (until a mod intervenes which Yoda already did)...
    It's quite obvious that in this forum (unlike another ..*cough*cough*...Flam Club) the Mods here are cool and much more tolerant, not a product of geek kids who got picked on and now need to be Nazi Mod tough guys behind the safety of their computer screen (be it from a PC or Mac.... :P)
    By all means! Bring it.

Note to VideoHelp Mods: Great Forum. You Rock!
    I hate VHS. I always did.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by pixel zombie
    the convincing argument is they(macs) work with less hassle and allow you to actually get work done instead of having to call the IT department or deal with driver hassles and don't even get me started on the malware, virus situation that exists on pcs..i
    I think that is more of an issue with the people using the Win Platform, your average Joe is going to own PC whereas a Mac owner is probably going to be technically advanced. I had printer that worked under Win95 all the way up to XP, finally had to throw it out because of mechanical failure. I'm pretty sure it even installed itself when I hooked it up to XP. The only time I've had any issues with hardware was from a very cheap camera that was purchased for a nephew. Just bad drivers released by the company that manufactured the camera so I really don't think you can blame Windows for that. I've had some software that has had the same longevity. I'm still running the same business accounting software that i purchased for Win98 that was compatible with 95 if I remember correctly and its now happily running along on XP. I know it won't make the leap to Vista but 10 years is good enough for me. :wink:

Search Comp PM
    My bad, I guess I've just been doing IT work for too long (20+ years), and I should know that the question is valid and "SHOULD" be asked every once in a while. It helps keep everyone honest and most usually learn Something from asking it...

By all means, Ask on!

25. Originally Posted by narquespamley
    The people who often complain about bloat, do not either take the time to tweak the computer or do not know how. :P
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MacDSL

MacDSL,

Very true! It's fun to argue though...
    Some topics just bring out the best/worse in people because there is really no CORRECT answer and is based on one individuals experience that was good/bad
    Politics and Religion come to mind when arguing in my family...
    I think it's great that people care enough one way or the other and express their opinions whole heartedly!
    This is what makes a great forum! OPINIONS, good or bad

Search Comp PM
    Almost forgot this one.

Cyrax9 Wrote:

4. This is low blow/cheap shot -- Macs do know spyware/adware just like PCs, they just know less of it. Inept Mac users are just as good at picking this stuff up as inept PC users, while Mac users who understand the OS are just as safe as PC users who understand windows.
    This is no low blow. True it's less (none). How about not having to add programs to stop spyware/adware etc.! The only people who told me they were having problems were PC users. I said "what are you talking about?" But of course the Mac is only 5% of the market and this could change over time... But for now, iMac :P

28. [quote="GMaq"]

While I am well aware of the connection between Hitler and Volkswagen, I find the mention of unspeakable atrocities like Auschwitz, Hiroshima (and Nagasaki)
    i don't consider Hiroshima and Nagasaki atrocities, especially when you consider that an invasion of japan would've killed 20 times the amount of people...

Search Comp PM
    Stay on track please. As boring as I find OS wars, stay on topic, and avoid politics.

/Mats

30. Originally Posted by pixel zombie
    i don't consider Hiroshima and Nagasaki atrocities, especially when you consider that an invasion of japan would've killed 20 times the amount of people...
    Apologies for the OT Mats but this is pure bullshit.

An invasion of Japan would've cost 2 million lives ? My arse. The Japanese already knew the game was up and Nagasaki was about further gratuitous weapons testing and making sure that Uncle Joe got the message. No more politics from me, I promise.

Apologies or not, you are deliberately disregarding my request to stay on topic, and are being issued with a formal warning. There are other fora for this subject.
    / Moderator mats.hogberg