VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure if this is the right forum to post in and if it is wrong pls redirect me to the correct thread. The problem is that I have a .h264 video extracted from a mkv file. Since the h264 video is of resolution 1280*720 my smaller laptop cannot handle it with its spec. I was wondering is there anyway to reduce the resolution of the h264 video without changing its encoding (the encoding codec is V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC ; you know standard for anime files) with existing programs, preferably without quality loss. I would prefer the output to be in h264 format so that I can remux it back to mkv. Thanx a lot for your help.

P.S. I have tried numberous conversion programs and things such as mencoder, menix, media coder .... They all failed because either I can use the program ( or its GUI version) or they just don't work. Again Thanx for your replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    theninger: You must reconvert if you are going to change the resolution and you will LOSE quality. What's your cpu specification? It might work to play if you use coreavc as h264 decoder.

ANd I have moved you to a new topic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is that I am able to process the video no prob. My friend who primarily uses a laptop cannot stream the files even with coreavc. I was simply wondering if it was possible to reduce the resolution to use less cpu processing. If I go by the path of reconverting there seems to be no programs that can convert specifically to the h264 format. Most are able to go to mp4 or avi with h264 encoding. So is there a program that can convert directly to produce a h264 file from another format??? Thanx for your help Baldrick and anyone else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried avidemux?

and mp4 or avi with h264 is h264 format...or do you need the mkv container?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you need raw .h264 video convert to MKV or MP4 then demux the video stream.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this method,
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135795
    Since you've already extracted use Megui to convert back to h264, avi or mkv....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i c. Thanx a lot everyone. One more thing. Would SUPER be suitable for conversion to h264 with avi/mkv container or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about the post above. Not thinking straight. It would be easier for it to be in a mkv container since I can use mkvextractGUI once again. I do need the raw.h264 so I can remux it. What I was trying to say in the above post is that would t0nee1's method be the one with the least quality loss? I am attempting to reduce the original raw h264 with a size around 300mb to something around 150-170mb. Already accounting the reduction in resolution, what would be the best method to reduce the size with least quality loss? Thanx for everyone's help again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please answer the question. I am trying to reduce a raw h264 720p to 400p (i.e. 300mb file to around 170mb file). So far I cannot find a program that can convert raw h264 into a reduced resolution h264 in a mkv container or demux mp4/avi properly. MeGUI was unable to convert the original h264 due to some error regarding not recognizing the source file (therefore no playback). Pls Help!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to reduce the resolution because your laptop can't even play 720p (Yikes! My almost 4 year old single core AMD CPU can handle that.) and MeGUI barfed on your input, for this file I'd say you need to just get on with your life and take what you can get. Convert it to Divx/Xvid with AutoGK or Dr. Divx (free, but restricted unless you buy the Divx codec to go with it) and you'll be able to play it back with little quality loss if you do it right. You can even keep the 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not very many programs can handle raw h.264 streams.

Place it into an mp4 container or mkv container, then use MeGUI or avidemux to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 and poisondeathray were faster than I,
    so I could only add the following:

(the encoding codec is V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC ;
    you know standard for anime files)
    AFAIK, there is no such a thing as a "standard video compression for anime";
    DivX/XviD is older than H264, and anime is much older than both.
    The last I've heard, VC-1 in MKV is what's been dominant in the
    Japanese P2P filesharing lately.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 11:44.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Encode with a lower profile level, 4.2 or lower. The player is probably choking on 10 Reframes. Maybe even 3 b-frames.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try uncropmkv.It can handle raw h.264 streams.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Delete the post.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Delete the post.
    Quote Quote