VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some 700mb documentary videos I got of the internet that I want to put on a DVD. I tried putting them on CD's in the form of a VCD but because there are less lines of resolution on a VCD than on the TV part of the picture is cropped, and I don't want that. I figure burning them onto a DVD in DVD file format is overkill because the video resolution of the original files is so much smaller. What's the best solution for burning to a DVD that keeps the video quality of the original file and maintains the maximum compatibility with DVD players?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Part of the picture is cropped by the TV sets overscan. Nothing to do with resolution. I use TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5 and DVD patcher to put SVCDs on a DVD if needed. The new TDA will most likely convert to DVD spec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the original format, I would try a program like FAVC and convert them to DVD. SVCD won't work on a DVD, AFAIK. You can also use one of the other freeware converters like DVD Flick or similar. Look at it this way, they won't look any worse in DVD format. More DVD converters: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    IF (big if here) you have a DVD player that supports Divx, you MIGHT be able to burn SVCD video files (the *.mpg files) to DVD data discs and get the player to play it in file play mode. My old Philips DVP-642 will do this. You cannot make a DVD disc in true SVCD format and have anything play it. In fact, I know of nothing that will author such a disc. If this works, it would require no conversion and you won't lose quality.

TVs do overscan because there is always a chance with broadcast TV (and even some DVDs and VHS tapes) to have garbage on the outer boundaries of the video signal, so to avoid having irate consumers complain about their TVs being "broken", everybody makes their TVs do overscan to hide the outer boundaries of all videos. The only way to prevent this (assuming you don't have one of the very very few TVs that can turn off overscan) is to re-encode your video and put it a border so that overscan only gets rid of the border. Expect some quality loss with such a re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure the files are svcd? if they are they should be around 825mb and in bin/cue format because svcd is in m2f2 cd format.

try using gspot to determine what they really are. most likely re-encoding to dvd is your best bet for compatibility and dvdr blanks are cheap enough.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Surely there exists downloadable garbage encoded in MPEG-2 @ 480x480/576,
    but not authored as an (S)VCD~.bin. And now that I took the time to re-read
    the opening post of this thread, I'm afraid the OP doesn't care about the
    difference between an AVI file and an MPG one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    midzuki - i didn's say they had to be in bin/cue, only that they should be. an svcd mpeg is pretty useless unless it's in bin/cue. downloaders would have to author it to bin/cue themselves to burn to cd otherwise. and how many people know how to do that?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you everyone for your help. This is a great site. I think I'll just burn it to a DVD, burning it to a DVD in SVCD format looks problematic and takes too much time. Having said that, is there no other format I could convert it to which would keep the video quality and be compatible with most DVD players?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss wrote:

an svcd mpeg is pretty useless unless it's in bin/cue.
    I see. It is as "useless" as a Full-D1 .mpg outside of a .VOB set
    Quote Quote