I followed the instructions in the SC_Tools documentation to mux captions to a m2v file using CC_Mux. I also turned the CC flag on using IFOedit after I authored the dvd. Now my computer software "DVD Player" displayed the captions with no problem, so I felt confident to burn the dvd. I tested it on my Pioneer DVR-520H in my living room, and the captions didn't display. I verified that captions were turned on to CC1 on my television, but the captions still weren't displaying on my tv. I took the dvd out of the tray and I tried another dvd I had burned from that I knew had captions. They displayed normally. I tried my original burned disc again, didn't work. So I took the dvd out of my Pioneer and took it into my bedroom where I have a cheap $66 Symphonic DVD/VCR combo. I put the dvd into the Symphonic, and it displayed perfectly. So deductive reasoning told me that for some reason the Pioneer DVR-520H was the problem. So to be sure I took my Symphonic out of my bedroom and hooked it up to my living room television, and the captions displayed. So I am assuming that there seems to be some kind of issue with Pioneer DVD Players and CC_Mux'd captions? Does anyone know what that problem could be or if there is a way for me to remedy that in the future?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
I think I might know what the problem could be... But I'm not sure.
After I use CC_Mux to mux the captions to the m2v file, I author the files with MuxMan. Now according to MuxMan's info it says that the CC information is CC field 2, shouldn't it be Field 1 or both? How do you force CC_Mux to mux the captions into the right field?
I am hardly an expert at this since I've only done this twice, a while ago. You can possibly try using VSRip to extract the Closed Captions and SubtitleCreator to create the .sup file. Then you can use DVDAuthorGUI or another authoring application to author the DVD. Hopefully someone with much more experience than I, can walk you thru the steps if needed.-The Mang
Authoring isn't the problem for me. I just don't understand why I can't get the closed-captions to display properly on that dvd player. It's driving me nuts. I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that CCMux muxes the captions into CC field 2 instead of 1, since that is what MuxMan says. It's a little annoyance, but I like trying to fix problems.
Well I found a workaround my problem. I used a freeware Mac OS 9 program called MPEG Insert CC and it muxed the closed-captions in field 1 instead of field 2, which was what CC_Mux was doing, and all is working well! My Pioneer DVR-520H is displaying the captions as they should. Now all I need is an OS X native version of the MPEG Insert CC (MPEG Appends suite) and I would really be happy!