VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't know exactly where to post this issue.

I'm running Vista Premium. Around two months ago (at least, that when I first noticed this problem), Windows Media Player 11 stopped displaying video. It can play the audio, but no video. Nothing. Not Mpeg1, 2, WMV, AVI, etc.

I've seen it report that it successfully acquired codecs, but still plays only audio.
    I downloaded MP Classic and that seems to play most of the video files I have (though some have audio problems). These files are old and some are from DVD rips, some are original content. I am reasonably certain the files are fine. I will attempt to play them on another computer (running MCE) later.

I assume it's a codec issue, but how do I track it down and fix it?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure if it is codec issue. Mine stop working after going from 10 to 11. I use XP.
    I know i have all codec necessary to play. Other players, like Nero, Power DVD, have no problem.
    WMP 11 will play pressed disc, but any burned one get stuck on Menu and if I click play, I hear audio from the movie, but no video.
    I checked all dvd files, they are same, so I gave up on WMP 11. Going back to 10 did not work either any more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've read nothing but issues with Vista and WMP 11 (a quick search here will yield numerous posts for the same problems). With that being said, it is a codec issue. And from what others are saying, even knowing it is a codec issue, many users can't get the correct/new codecs to install and if they do intall, WMP 11 won't use them.

You can use Gspot or mediainfo to open your files and see which codecs are needed, then try installing the needed codecs. But I would just suggest using a different media player such as VLC or MPC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    I've read nothing but issues with Vista and WMP 11 (a quick search here will yield numerous posts for the same problems). With that being said, it is a codec issue. And from what others are saying, even knowing it is a codec issue, many users can't get the correct/new codecs to install and if they do intall, WMP 11 won't use them.

You can use Gspot or mediainfo to open your files and see which codecs are needed, then try installing the needed codecs. But I would just suggest using a different media player such as VLC or MPC.
    I can assure you I ran the dvd files through GSpot and all necessary codec are there, still does not work.
    PgcEdit has no problem with DVD either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the merits of your codecs. In Gspot.
    Then give your fav codec a higher merit, and codecs as from Nero a lower (less than 4)
    DivX and Xvid: do the same. Maybe you have both, and with the same merit.
    In case something else went wrong: re-register quartz.dll

Yep, it is codec problem. But maybe because there too much.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NoBuddy
    Then give your fav codec a higher merit, and codecs as from Nero a lower (less than 4)

Thank You. I would have never figured that one out.
    It looks like it was Xvid and DivX, lowered to 78 and 70, now WMP works. All, including WMP, were at 80.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this. Bring up the media player on your computer before putting in the dvd you want to play. Click on "Now Playing". Then, put in the dvd. See if it will now play it. Hope this helps.
    PEACE!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker

Thank You. I would have never figured that one out.
    It looks like it was Xvid and DivX, lowered to 78 and 70, now WMP works. All, including WMP, were at 80.
    I'm glad someone got their problem fixed (hijacker), but I haven't.

What do you mean when you say "less than 4" as regarding merits? When I look there, I see 0x0020, not small numbers like 4.

I downloaded VLC, but that can't display video either. Quicktime plays some, for files that are QT compatible. But even Quicktime can't play Mpeg2 files on this machine. WMP 11 and VLC can't display video on ANY files!

I tried re-registering quartz.dll but it didn't help.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    leebo:
    sorry - when I talked about 4 I meant 0x0040000 (I´m a lazy one)
    If you have 2 codecs doing the same, and both have the same merit (0x0080000 for example) - then lower one down, or put your fav one to something dominate like 0xa00000.

Sorry about my lazy way to describe the merits.
    You can also try the free MS tool DECCHECK.exe, just to tell WMP which mpeg2 codec you prefer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo
    I'm glad someone got their problem fixed (hijacker), but I haven't.
    Sorry, if you feel that way, but I figured the answer will help you also.
    With numbers you have to use a little imagination. Any way NoBuddy explained it to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was simply suggesting you check the files if you hadn't already, many users don't. And as I already pointed out, there are numerous posts here from users that can't get codecs to install/register properly. Even something as simple as Divx, which is typically as easy as just running the install exe. It will run and install, you can find the player and files on the HDD, but WMP11 won't register or use the codec. I haven't seen a fix for it as of yet.

And the fact that VLC won't play files would seem to indicate you have another issue. VLC uses it's own codecs and not what is already installed on your PC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone for attempting to help. I wasn't trying to dis you, tinker, it's just annoying when you post a problem and someone else posts their problem in your thread and gets their issue fixed but you don't.

After changing merits, is a re-boot necessary? I haven't been doing that. The same question for re-registering codecs.

When I run a test on a VOB file, I get the following message:
    "Failed to connect output pin 0x06e40a7c ("Src Media") on VTS_01_3.VOB to input pin 0x00a2f964 ("Mpeg2 Stream") on filter 0x03d1fc49 ("Mpeg-2Demultiplexer"). ConnectDirect() failed. Error0x80040207; (unknown).

Can anyone advise how to troubleshoot that??? There is another error reported when I click the button under "MS A/V": 0x00040242.

Yesterday I also installed CoreCodec, but it didn't make a difference.

As far as the VLC issue, I've already said that MPC CAN play these files. I don't know why VLC can't, nor do I care, except as it relates to my MP 11 issue.

Thanks.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you have to reboot after changing merits (I made the same mistake).
    As for other problem, I would run files in PgcEdit and see what it has to say about them. If there is something wrong with command structure, it will worn you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try the free MS tool DECCHECK.exe, just to tell WMP which mpeg2 codec you prefer.
    The MS web site states this is for XP, not Vista. And it says it's used to check "whether or not the decoder is compatible with Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition."

Also, "Note: This utility only indicates whether an MPEG-2 decoder is compatible with the synchronization feature of Windows Media Player 10 or whether an MPEG-2 decoder is compatible with the recorded TV playback feature of Windows XP Media Center Edition."
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn. I spoke too soon.
    Ignore what I said below. Many of the un-playable files now play, but some are dropping frames like crazy and many still wont play.

I hope I'm not going to have to re-install Vista!

Old info:
    I must be old. When in doubt, update your drivers! Decided to update my display drivers and presto.

I am ashamed of myself (and you other old timers!). I should know better. One of the first things to do is check for driver updates.

Thank you everyone.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote