VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

First of all, it may be a silly question but I’m not an expert at all and I have curiosity about these things.

VGA are analog connections that were used to communicate digital devices (computers) with analog devices (CRT monitors). Then they invent LCD monitors that are digital devices but keep the VGA connection that implies a conversion and a sort of lost.

Is that so because the DVI connections were invented later? And now that the DVI connections are used since several years, why exist still the VGA connections?

Is it not much better than two digital devices (LCD monitor and PC) communicate directly with no need of conversion analog-digital? Or is it may be that the DVI connections are more expensive to build that the VGA ones? I don’t know.

Thank you if someone could explain it a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VGA is still a common interface for video display devices, but I would agree the newer DVI-D is probably a better choice for a digital display like a LCD. But remember that a CRT is also a analog device, so VGA likely would be more proper with them. When CRT displays are gone, VGA may disappear also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its just technology marching... Here's the idea.

When the first LCDs were sold, just about all video cards had VGA connections because there were no LCDs.

So the LCD manufactorer build in VGA connectors and waited for the video card manufactorers to make cards with DVI connectors.

Many people still use CRT monitors, hence the dual connectors on the cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed, I still have a (very nice) 21" CRT that has a beautiful picture that there is no reason to get rid of as it still works perfectly.
    It's connected to my video card with one of those little DVI to VGA adapters.

My HDTV is connected to the HTPC via DVI to HDMI...

My mother just bought a new LCD to replace her ancient piece of shit CRT, but her PC is old and she has to connect via VGA. Even though her PC is old and fairly out of date, it serves her needs exceedingly well and she will probably not replace it for a very long time -- if ever.
    There are a LOT of people in this particular category.

Me on the other hand... I'd like a better video card in the HTPC, but it's mobo doesn't have PCI-E so a better vid card = new mobo = new CPU & RAM.......
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15
    When the first LCDs were sold, just about all video cards had VGA connections because there were no LCDs.
    Thank you all for answering.

I still wonder why now that all the video cards have DVI connections, most of the monitors that are sold (at least in my country) have VGA instead of DVI inputs?

Is that so only to take into account the people who have old video cards? But they may be a minority, I don't know, and I think you can get a new video card with DVI for less than 30 dollars or euros. Mind you, I'm not saying that the manufacturers shouldn't respect the people with old video cards (I myself have one in an old computer), I only say that it´s strange for me that they still build so many LCDs with analog interface.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The PC industry is all about backwards compatability. Many PC's still include serial ports, parallel printer ports, PS/2 mouse ports, PS/2 keyboard ports, PATA ports, ISA slots...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are two broad categories of computer monitor buyers business and home consumers. Both need VGA and DVI-D for various reasons but if only one could be included, VGA is still the most universal.

The normal computer display card now uses a DVI-I connection that includes pins for both digital DVI-D and analog VGA (aka DVI-A).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

In business, monitors are often purchased or updated separately from computers. Many computers or other equipment have only VGA outputs. Most laptops still only have VGA out.

In the home, there are the legacy computer and laptop issues but also gaming machines that tend to use VGA or HDMI*.

LCD-TV sets use VGA as the universal computer or gaming machine interface. Unlike HDMI, these inputs assume computer gamma, screen resolutions and no overscan.

* HDMI is a specialized video connection that uses DVI-D for video plus serial AC3 audio plus control interface.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to agree that while most new video cards come with DVI connectors, just about any name-brand PC these days comes with a VGA connector unless you specify DVI.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    I have to agree that while most new video cards come with DVI connectors, just about any name-brand PC these days comes with a VGA connector unless you specify DVI.
    Those are DVI-I connectors in almost all cases. DVI-I connectors support both DVI-D and DVI-A (VGA). Simple adapters bring the DVI-A pins to a DB-15 standard VGA connector.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote