VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm editing a video that someone else shot on Long Play and it's proving a nightmare with sound. (When I import other footage he shot in standard play there is no problem). When I import via firewire every few seconds there is a gap in the sound and a faint screechy digital noise persists also.

I've tried importing the audio separately using an analogue to digital video converter (Plextor ConvertX) and it cuts out much of the gaps but not all of them. Can anyone explain why this happens and offer any solutions? Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Long play is achieved by dropping most of the error correction data. Long play should never be used, but if you have to retrieve video form long play tapes, the only chance you have of success is to use the camera it was shot on.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your quick reply- much appreciated.

I feared as much. Long Play should be outlawed!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's got nothing to do with error correction - it's the same digital data, but recorded on a much narrower track, so head alignment becomes vital.

You should get the original record deck and transfer using that.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, it looks like I'll have to do that. As far as I know, the guy who shot it backed it up on his computer before handing me the tapes.
    Quote Quote