VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up the CD "Atari 80 Classic Games" CDROM. I love the old school games. Anyway I haven't really played any PC games in years. It installs fine. But when I run the program and choose one of the games my PC restarts. I have no idea why.

I'm running a Gateway 2.4 Ghz with 1 GB RAM. So it isn't like my PC can't handle it. I raised the resolution up higher as the readme file suggested. Any gamers or other experienced users out there know what would cause with odd issue?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are likely getting a BSOD related to a driver issue. You can disable the XP "reboot on error" so that you can see the actual BSOD and get the error code, but I would start by ensuring all of your drivers are up to date (motherboard, audio, and video).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read the fine print on the cover to see if it runs under winXP. That may need a Win98SE OS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) over classic games "redone" for the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought.... The program may want to change your video settings. And your OS may have problems with that which could cause your shutdowns.

Some older games may want 256 colors and a smaller screen size, maybe 800 X 600 pixels. If that's the problem, you could try setting them first and see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The disc was released in 2003. It says Windows 98/Me/XP on the back.

I'm running XP Pro

I have many emulators I have downloaded over the years. I just wanted something that my kids could also use without all the settings and other issues you have to deal with in ROMS and emulators.
    Quote Quote