VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several PAL (but originally NTSC) H.264/X.264 movies that play fine except all the voices have that higher pitch Mickey-Mouse effect. Is there a codec or other method that will slow the playback down to the NTSC rate? I'd rather not have to re-encode the PAL videos as it is too time consuming.
    I'm aware that VLC Player might do this (and if you know how please do tell) but I'd like to use the CoreAVC codec for my HD stuff as it has better multithreading support.
    Quote Quote  
  2. They probably were not wrapped correctly, you can probably "re-package" them in a .mkv container with the proper fps

If it's a "mickey mouse" effect, then the audio is too fast ? But the video plays normal speed or sped up?

1) Extract your audio & video streams with mkvextractgui
    2) Using mkvmergegui, open the streams you just demuxed. Now for the video, you have the option of specifying fps. For the audio, you have the option of specifying delay (if any) and/or stretch by

Play with the options until it's correct, then you can play in whatever player you want

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file plays correctly. The problem is with all PAL Movies that originated in the U.S. (I.E. NTSC) The movie is essentially "sped up" to match 25FPS PAL TVs. As a result, the sound is also quickened slightly and the pitch changes. Also, the movie's run time changes. Xbox Media Center will slow down the video and audio streams on the fly with the option "Play PAL files at NTSC rates".
    I thought originally that VLC Player supported this but it is actually MPlayer that XBMC uses and not VLC. I will have to take a look at MPlayer. I believe that Mplayer has it's own built-in codecs like VLC does so CoreAVC probably still isn't an option.
    Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If what you are saying is correct, the above still holds true. The file does not play correctly because you said it is "Sped up." Whoever made the file merged it incorrectly, or did not do a proper NTSC=>PAL conversion.

For the video, put in the original NTSC fps 23.976 in the "format specific options" tab for the video.

Try leaving the audio as is, but if it doesn't match, enter 23.976/25 in the "stretch by" option, in the "format specific options" tab for the audio

You can "force fake 25fps in media type" with haali media splitter (just toggle it "true" in the options), but there is no option to force fake 23.976

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I maybe haven't stated my problem clearly. In fact, there is no problem with the files(s) in question. The audio/video are in synch. The functionality I'm trying to obtain is to have all PAL videos I play be slowed from their native format of 25fps to 23.976fps. When I play a PAL AVI (that was encoded from a PAL DVD) with the player in Xbox Media Center the audio and video is slowed automatically to the NTSC frame rate native to U.S. TVs. I simply want the same functionality in Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can change playback speed in 5% increments with KMplayer; it won't be exactly 23.976, more like 23.75

I think you can have custom playback speed in BSPlayer (but it's riddled with adware apparently)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll check those out.
    Quote Quote