VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good day to everybody

I converted a movie ( AVC, AC3) in another one ( Xvid, MPEG-1 Audio layer 3) with VirtualDub.
    The original file had 700 MB and the second one 500 MB. One said me that the lesser MB the lesser quality. So I ask for your help to tell me what parameter of the process (VirtualDub) must I actuate to obtain the near value of 700 MB?

Thank you for your answer.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Increase the video bitrate and you will get bigger file size and probably a bit better quality.

In virtualdub under video->compression->xvid mpeg-4codec and click configure.
    Click on the Target Quantizer button and it should say Target Bitrate
    Then click on the calc button
    Set the target size to 716800(700MB)
    Set the video hours and minutes
    Set the MP3 bitrate
    Hit OK

Or use Autogk, load the avi and set the output file size and convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again, Baldrick.

Your teachings are always precious. But, now, I have new doubts. To see the bitrate of the original movie, I used MediaInfo and Gspot. And I obtained two values very different. What is the correct?

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can calculate the average bitrate in a movie yourself, use a bitrate calculator(see our tools list) and put in the file size, the audio bitrate(from mediainfo,gspot) and it will tell you the average video bitrate.

I don't know how mediainfo and gspot reads the bitrate, I guess it's different because it's Variable Bitrate(VBR).
    Quote Quote